Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Expando Reviews!

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

Default Re: Expando Reviews!

PM, you are absolutely right, we should do that. I was taking notes on the CD on my way to work this morning. I made it through the whole thing too. =)

Mostly I'm at the first impression stage, but I still have more to add. Although, part of me is hesitate to post my review before everyone has a chance to hear the CD... as I don't "my" words interrupting their own interpretations. KWIM? Sometimes when someone says something, it sticks in your head and may take away from a different view point... not always, but sometimes.

I'm so thankful I have this board to share my excitement with!

You may be right LTL. I'm also waiting to be more thorough. It gives me a chance to listen to it more and get better impressions.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Thanks for the reviews so far guys. Love reading what everyone is thinking. Love the kind words cynd about White Boy.

I broke down late last night and bought a few off of itunes. Darn that Amazon--will NEVER do that again. Anyways I'm warning you all now--if you DON'T want to get angry, DO NOT go on there and read the reviews! They aren't kind. Obviously people who don't appreciate good music!

I think I will wait till I have the real cd in hand before I will do an actual review. But with what I heard the other night live and what I do have downloaded at this time~~ WOW . I don't think any of you will be surprised how much I love it so far!

One question to those of you that have the cd in hand--do the liner notes have the lyrics?

I don't understand how people can dismiss an album after hearing the songs once. If they don't like it they should ignore it.

I haven 't got access to iTunes at the moment (it's been a month)! but like most people I wanted a hard copy of the CD. I hope it should arrive next week (but I am still waiting for Knopfler's effort too - it's quite an exciting time for me). To those of you who are sharing your initial thoughts, thank you. I can't wait to hear WBFS (yes, it's acronym time again)!!!!

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

Dang it - I've been going all over town trying to find 'Expando' and nobody has it???? Will I really have to go to Amazon to get it? You'd think one of the big stores in town would have it. What's the matter with them? I'm going to have to mount a one woman protest outside the stores -

Stuck on the Border tbs fanatic's Avatar

WOW! Just read the reviews on iTunes - ouch! They were rough. Really rough. Eeek!

I've got to echo what everone else has said after visiting iTunes: OUCH! But I guess they aren't called 'critics' without evidence to back the moniker up! Personally I think they should only be able to give it a 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' and keep the rest of it to themselves. The way I see it, either you like it or you don't but I think it's mean-spirited to pan something just because it isn't to your taste. If it's not the style/genre you enjoy, just say that and be done with it.
    I just need a little downtime.........

I did a search for reviews and didn't find much, but this positive one popped up:

All Music Guide's review of Expando

I also found this - which is a mediocre review preceded by an absolutely hilarious lead-in featuring a fictional skit starring the Eagles. It does make fun of our guys, so if that upsets you, don't click the link! I laughed HARD though.

You Again?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I decided to write my review with the following disclaimer: If you want to hear the songs fresh without any preconceived notions, please stop reading. I do not want any of my thoughts to cloud your own views. Sometimes, when someone calls out a certain aspect, it stays with you… and I don’t want that to be the case. However, if you want to read my ramblings, carry on.

There is a common theme to this CD, appreciating the good life.

One More Mile – It’s a little too folksy for my taste. I could do w/out the lyrics altogether. I do however think it would make a good instrumental peace, as I do like the heavy bass line on this song, as well as the percussion sounds. During the show, it appeared Chris Farmer took out a container of rocks and start started shaking it. You can hear the rocks on the song and I laugh at the memory!

Parachute – I want to like this song, but the jury is still out. I can’t help but think he wrote this when he was on tour w/the Eagles. “when you think you’ve had enough of this living on your own… longing for home… time to change your attitude” I see that as being on the road too long and wanting the comforts of day to day life, but then remembering, this was your dream and you are lucky to be living it. I’m appreciating the guitar, as I feel that is the driving instrument of this song.

Friday Night – One of my favorites. I’m partial to the “bells” in the background. It gives off a simple old world charm. I feel as if I should be in a European courtyard listening to a live local band performing this. I love the progression changes from slow to fast, slow, fast. When TBS picks it up and goes into, “Slip into you best dress, paint your lips red”, I actually want to get dressed up and have some fun. The whole feel of the song is carefree and I enjoy that.

Ella Jean- I can relate to Nancy’s thoughts of this sounding very Beach Boyesque. It certainly has that California/Brian Wilson feel to it. As I mentioned earlier, I feel like I’m glimpsing into TBS life and his feelings for Jean. It’s a sweet song, nothing ground breaking. I have two things I like most, when he sings, “flowers in your hair.” To me, that is him remembering Jean in her innocent youth. That imagine of her eternal beauty etched in his mind. The second is the great harmony at the end.

White Boy From Sacramento – Another stand out for me. The lyrics are awesome, the music is upbeat, his voice is great! I enjoy the fact that he steps away from his soft sound and adds a little edge. When he sings high, “I hit them high notes like they were nothin’ “… classic! The backup harmonies from the women are spectacular against TBS funkier sound. Its kinda 50’s rockish too. This is the perfect song for Ben to be on. I didn’t realize he played drums and lead guitar - the guitar sounded great IMO! Personally, I think these lyrics sum TBS up… he gets it! He gets the whole normal childhood to dreams realized. It’s as if he’s looking back on a good life. It’s fun, funky, funny and feel good!

Compassion- This is another song where the instruments stand out. This song is all TBS too, no one joins him on any part of it. If it were an instrumental, I’d have been okay w/that. The way the sounds mesh is very soothing.

Downtown- It’s a bluesy and beatnik and the same time. I think the sounds of Kid Rock and Dwight complement TBS on the chorus. Much of how I feel that TBS complements Don when singing harmonies. This is another one of those fun tempo changing songs. I love songs that change it up right in the middle and go back to the original format. The accordion is a great addition to this song!

Melancholy – Title sums it up pretty well

I Don’t Mind – The tuba is a sure hit on this number! I have to wonder who this is about though. Wife, kids, band mate? I get an old time country flavor to this song. I think it’s the way he kinda lazily sings it.

Secular Praise – More reflection of a carefree childhood and good life. I’m lovin’ the gospel touch the Blind Boys bring to the table. They sound fantastic! Again, in theme, gratitude, “I don’t know why some have less and some have more - all my sorrow could all fit in a bedroom drawer”. IMO, this is the song from and to his soul. Lots of internal reflection. The organ and accordion add to that emotional feel of it all. It’s heartwarming... actually, a few times, it has brought tears to my eyes it and made the hairs on my arm stand up.

A Good Day – Another favorite. Its fun, TBS plays harmonica, along w/several other instruments. It’s just such a common feeling. As Timothy said in his show, “everyone just wants to have a good day”. He’s right! “we’ll make love ‘til we can’t see straight” okay, who’s not lovin’ that line? This one has a steel guitar and reminds me a little of Poco. Catchy little chorus, I see it being stuck in my head a lot!

Overall, I give this a thumbs up. On the whole, not a lot of songs I’d skip past. Maybe One More Mile and Melancholy… but I think it would depend on my mood. Now, of course I have a biased opinion, I know that. I do value it though. I really feel TBS put his heart and soul in Expando. I’d give it a five out five stars! It’s a feel good CD that really goes back to his roots and I think has allowed him to grow musically. He takes great care in marrying different instruments to get the best sounds possible. I can tell he spent a lot of time deciding what instruments to use and sounds that please his ears. It's not hard rock, but a laid back rock without being boring.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

WHATEVER!!!! Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

http://popdose.com/you-again-timothy-b-schmit-expando/
    Last edited by TimothyBFan; 07-08-2010 at 08:56 AM.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Hey, this was what I linked to in my previous post! I disagree about his opinion of Expando, but that skit is a hoot even if it does make fun of our guys.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten