Thread: RIP Jose Fernandez (MLB Pitcher)

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Default RIP Jose Fernandez (MLB Pitcher)

I know there are some fellow baseball fans on here and just saw the shocking news that current Miami Marlins ace pitcher has died in a boating accident this morning. He was only 24 and two others were killed as well. It's the first time I can remember that a current, well performing player died in Major League Baseball. I remember when Dale Earnhardt was killed in that crash and a couple other race car drivers and football players, but not a baseball player. I remember watching him play just last week. The Marlins cancelled today's game too. Just so tragic.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Default Re: RIP Jose Fernandez (MLB Pitcher)

That's very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and fans.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I dislike the Marlins because they're division rivals with the Atlanta Braves, but this is incredibly sad. I remember a few current players who've died while still playing(Tommy Hanson for example), but it's always horrible, especially since most of the them are so young. My thoughts are with his family, friends, fans, and the Marlins.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

My brother reminded me of some of the other players but it feels different with Jose since he was so talented and was a great pitcher and so young. Reminds me in a way of what I've always heard when Roberto Clemente died in the 70s.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I heard this Sunday. So sad. RIP, Jose.

My Cardinals lost a rising star a couple years ago in a car accident, Oscar Taveras. He was 22.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

RIP Jose Fernandez. Thoughts are with him, his family, his fans and team mates. It's always shocking when sports players perish at a young age, and tragic in the case of an accident like this.

The sportsmen whose deaths have most moved me have been racing drivers, the biggest one being F1 driver Jules Bianchi (I actually created a thread for him on here and had a 'My Man' tribute sig for a couple of weeks), although I was also very saddened when I heard that Brits Justin Wilson and Dan Wheldon lost their lives racing in the US. I also know of two former Liverpool FC youth players who passed away during their careers - Besian Idrizaj, a striker who died of a heart attack at age 22 while at Swansea (that scares me writing that down as I am now 22 myself) and Miki Roque, a defender who lost his battle against pelvic cancer aged 23 after returning to his native Spain. Neither of these were high profile players (they never played for the first team during their spells at Liverpool), but they are not the only ones.

The Marlins did such a lovely tribute to Jose during their game last night against the Mets. Jose was supposed to pitch and they ended up retiring his number and winning the game. It was so nice to see the Mets players and coaches give the Marlins members hugs before the game started. I teared up many times during the game including when they played "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" on a solo trumpet like how "Taps" is usually played at a military funeral. Feel so bad for his teammates, and especially his family and girlfriend who's pregnant.
    ~*Amanda*~