Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Neil Young

Wow, Rick! What treasures to be able to see and hear, let alone have in your possession! Sounds like you will enjoy both of those!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Kind of like getting in a time machine.

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Stuck on the Border

Oh, I love Neil. I love his book, "Waging heavy peace". The most "egoless" book by a celebrity I've ever come across. He spends more time talking about other people's cool cars than himself!

I can't describe what I love about him. Something about the spirit. I love "Fuckin' up" as much as I love "Peace of mind". He manages to move my soul with a lot of different material. Sometimes he makes me laugh with his hilarious lyrics ("Good times are comin'. But they sure comin' slow"), sometimes he makes me cry (check out "Peace of mind"). Usually he just makes me feel good. A brilliant writer.

Oh, Harvest. Yes, I hadn't listened to it in years and I remembered it as an album I'm not that fond of. I actually listened to it today and found myself enjoying every song! I did remember the songs, but actually hearing again them was different. Everybody hates "There's a world". I don't understand why. I LOVE it.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-11-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I don't hate There's A World but it isn't a favourite of mine. I'm surprised you love Peace Of Mind so much; that one tends to drift by me to some extent.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't hate There's A World but it isn't a favourite of mine. I'm surprised you love Peace Of Mind so much; that one tends to drift by me to some extent.
    It just gets to me. There's this idiotic pride that men might often feel. But they can't get over the fact that they really felt good when they were honest with the woman. I said "they". Maybe I should have said "we". But there's this beauty (and serenity) about sincerity and warmth, and I think this song captures it. It really does make me cry. It made me feel the same way even before I met the woman of my life, so it isn't personal.

Stuck on the Border

I feel a bit that way about Wrecking Ball which was something of a theme song for myself & my husband when we first met.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I feel a bit that way about Wrecking Ball which was something of a theme song for myself & my husband when we first met.
    That's a wonderful song! I don't remember the lyric. I seem to remember a line that goes something like "my life's an open book", which makes me think it's a song about a celebrity, and how he/she may find it difficult to find genuine relationships. I must check the lyrics, I haven't heard this song in years. The melody is divine, and I remember it well.

Stuck on the Border

By the way, I didn't mean to say that "There's a world" is a special favorite of mine. I just wonder why it's always mentioned as an inferior song I think it's a great song among other great songs. On that album "Old man" is my favorite. Neil has said that his father thought it was about him, and Neil never told him otherwise! It was, of course, inspired by the caretaker in the farm Neil bought.

Neil is primal. That's what makes him so popular. Neil and Crazy Horse are a garage band. Lots of guitarists and bands listen and say, "I can do that!"

But no one does it quite like Neil...

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I saw a bit about this on tv the other day and I wonder how it will go:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...player-at-sxsw
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten