Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Neil Young's Warehouse Destroyed

Thanks for the update Deb!! Glad to hear!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow - what a shame about the fire, but it's a huge relief to know that none of Neil's valuable archives or instruments were lost.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Great update, Deb - thanks!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

Default Re: Neil Young

I have always loved Neil Young's music. He is an awesome singer and my favvie c.d. would be Harvest Moon. I always enjoyed that song (Harvest Moon). I've been a fan of his older stuff as well (Crazy Horse). Rocking in the Free World is my favourite song from him. I find myself singing out every so often. LOL

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Default Neil Young: Dolby Theater-Los Angeles 3/29-3/30/2014

Neil Young is playing two solo dates at the renamed Kodak Theater here in L.A. Just got front row center for March 30th show through his web site. No password needed-Neil Rocks!

Here is the pre-sale link: http://tix.concertmaps.com/neilyoung/

Tickets go on sale to general public on Monday.

Carol-Lynn

Congrats on your great seat!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

I meant to post in this topic when it was revived & will do so now.

I have mixed feelings about Neil Young. When I was in my 20s I worshipped him. I thought he was the greatest songwriter I had ever heard, better than Dylan. When I saw him in 1985 & was front row centre & he literally played every song that had made him famous it was one of the highlights of my life.

He has always been contradictory, however. For the most part the music he makes with Crazy Horse consists of interminable guitar jams with mostly uninsipired lyrics. At first I thought this had novelty value (the Ragged Glory album) but by the time it got to Mirror Ball it all sounded the same. Even Living With War, which for the most part is full of anti Bush Jr polemic, is just more of the same.

But the softer, 'folkie' albums he interspersed with the 'grunge' stuff aren't particularly memorable either because again he sounds the same on each song (this is albums like Silver & Gold & Prairie Wind). The songs on these albums tend to be about his Canadian childhood or paens to Mother Nature.

If only he could go back to the glory days of Rust Never Sleeps & Freedom where he combined the two styles of music in the most exhilarating way. RNS contains the title track done in both styles as well as the hard rock Powderfinger & the introspective Thrasher, while Freedom again gives us the two versions or Rockin' In The Free World along with ballads like Wrecking Ball & superb rockers like Crime In The City.

His music is very important to me but I sometimes think that like Dylan & Morrison he is too much a law unto himself.

Third show was added yesterday. All three shows are virtually sold out. Wouldn't be surprised if he adds a 4th show. Stay Tuned!

Well what do you know! They just added a fourth show for Wednesday April 2nd. Pre-sale tickets via his web-site for Price Level 1 ($426 all in) go on sale tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. PST.

Here is the link: http://tix.concertmaps.com/neilyoung/

It is surprising how many tickets scalpers managed to grab and forget about the prices.

Carol-Lynn
    Last edited by carol7lynn; 02-25-2014 at 08:03 PM.

This is cool - to see a Neil thread. This kind of pertains to it.

I played a little coffeehouse last weekend. The guy who owns it is a Neil Young fanatic. I know that and liberally sprinkled some Neil songs throughout the night.

As I was packing up to leave, he approached me with a couple of CD jewel cases.

Inside were plain discs. One was a CD and one was a DVD. They were identified with little hand-written strips of masking tape. They read:

"Neil Young - Live at the Ludlow Garage - 1970"

"Thanks for all the Neil Young tunes," he said."You strike me as a guy who would appreciate these."

YA THINK?!?!?!?!

The CD was burned direct from analog reel-to-reel tape, and the DVD transferred from film. The coffeehouse owner was part of the sound crew at Ludlow. Neil played there, Allman Bros. played there, Pure Prairie League (a group with Cincinnati ties) played there, Grand Funk Railroad played there. Even Van Halen made a stop.

Oh...and a little group called The James Gang played there...

I didn't get to see Neil, much as I had wanted to.

Now I get to go.

The sound quality of the CD was excellent. Even if it wasn't it's priceless as an historical document. I'm going to watch the DVD this weekend.

Ah, yes - good ol' 1970 - when the GOOD seats to see James Taylor at Music Hall were $3.50...
    Last edited by rick endres; 03-06-2014 at 10:32 PM.

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Here's a link to Ludlow Garage on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludlow_Garage

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"