Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Buffalo Springfield

Default Re: Buffalo Springfield

I guess I am the culprit who started this discussion on another thread but I got the information from Randy Meisner Biography I recently read:

This continued for four years. Finally, in 1968, Meisner once again found a way out. After playing an audition for Buffalo Springfield where he was up against Timothy B. Schmit, he was selected to replace Jim Messina in the much more established band. However, before he could enjoy his new role, Richie Furay also quit the band to form Poco with Messina. Meisner joined them. In November of 1968, the new band debuted at The Troubadour in Los Angeles. This venue was to play a large role in the formation of Meisner's future band, the Eagles, as it was the place where Glenn Frey met and befriended Don Henley. Poco's debut performance also marked the first time Rick Nelson saw Meisner play, which was to pay off for him sooner rather than later.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

It's certainly possible, just weird that we have never heard of Timothy auditioning for BS, and certainly not a 2nd audition where Randy was chosen over him - seems like it would be part of their well-recited history, along with Poco and the Eagles. What biography were you reading?

Yes, I agree that it is strange that this isn't readily known. In fact two articles that I have read on the history of Buffalo Springfield don't even mention either Randy or Timothy or Bernie who I once read somewhere was briefly a member of BS himself! I suppose the writer of the articles could have their facts wrong or even the dates!

I found this information by typing:

randymeisneronline.com into my Safari browser on my iPhone5.

Click on INNER SELF:ABOUT RANDY and finally click on BIOGRAPHY

It's interesting reading.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Interesting, since that's our site!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Haha! The link is at the bottom of this page!! It must be true!

[edit: I realized my tone might have not come across as I intended. This is not a sarcastic voice - it's a laughing voice]
    Last edited by MaryCalifornia; 03-16-2014 at 01:05 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, Greg, I didn't mean to imply that anyone was a culprit here. I'm glad you mentioned it because it makes for a very interesting discussion and helps us try to separate fact from fiction. Unfortunately, that may be hard to do here because we don't have any real authoritative sources. The RandyMeisnerOnline biography was written by our own Sodascouts and/or another lady that helped her put the site together and one of their sources cited was Marc Eliot's To the Limit. I don't know if Soda remembers any specifics about the how the information about this particular subject was gathered, but maybe she can shed some light on this for us.

I checked the Buffalo Springfield page on Wikipedia to see what it says about the band’s revolving bass players, but, of course, Wikipedia isn’t always accurate either. But, for what it’s worth (pun intended), here are a couple of excerpts …

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In January 1967 the group took an advance from the record company and flew to New York to perform at Ondine's, a club where The Doors would also play. It was at this time that Palmer was first arrested for possession of marijuana and summarily deported back to Canada.

The band moved back and forth between recording sessions and live appearances on both coasts. A number of different bassists were used, such as Mike Barnes and Jim Fielder of the Mothers of Invention. In one instance – a live performance on the television show Hollywood Palace – Springfield's non-bass-playing road manager held a bass with his back to the camera while the band mimed to a prerecorded track. An appearance on the The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour was taped on February 17, 1967, airing on February 26.[4]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    However, in January 1968 Palmer's second deportation for drug possession once again threw a wrench into the works. This time, guitarist and studio engineer Jim Messina was hired as a permanent replacement on bass. With Palmer gone for good, Young also began to appear less and less frequently, often leaving Stills to handle all the lead guitar parts at concerts. Recording sessions were booked, and all the songs that appeared on their final album were recorded by the end of March, usually with Messina producing, but the group was clearly on the verge of disbanding. In April 1968, after yet another drug bust involving Young, Furay, Messina and Eric Clapton, the group decided to break up.
    So, to me, the jury’s still out about this. I guess it’s possible that Randy may have auditioned against Jim Messina when Bruce Palmer left in January 1968. But, I have to agree with MC on one point though. It would seem to me that if Randy and Tim’s had competed for the position, it would be pretty widely known considering the rest of their history.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I wrote the Randy bio myself about 7 years ago and Eliot's book was one of my sources, as I listed at the bottom. I'm not sure if that's the only place it's stated. If so, I'll change it. We know Eliot is often inaccurate.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten