Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Springfield

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Buffalo Springfield

Very cool GtLO!

So, how about some more details. You know how we are around here!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Yes, I'd love to hear more!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Desperado GettheLeadonOut!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Yes, I'd love to hear more!
    The show was fantastic. Since they hadn't really played together since 1968, it was crazy watching these three legends interact both vocally (notably Stills and Richie) and instrumentally (the fierce guitar interplay of Neil and Stephen). And Joe Vitale on drums and singing harmony as well! they couldn't go wrong! They each shared vocal duties and the hometown crowd was adoring. the Wiltern is very intimate (and the crowd was very old). Richie was in fine voice and beaming, Stephen seemed relaxed played pretty much all of his guitars and Neil was hilarious and having the time of his life ("the rumors of our breakup are greatly exaggerated"). Honestly felt like a continuation than a reunion (Neil: "we're Buffalo Springfield. We're from the past".)

Setlist and highlights:

1. On the Way Home -Richie sounded great singing this neil penned classic. Neil took a verse and played harmonica. awesome opener.
    2. Rock n' Roll Woman -a Stills classic, harmonies were excellent
    3. Burned - a lot of Neil Young fans in the audience, this was a treat
    4. A Child's Claim to Fame - Richie's ode to Neil about always quitting the band. He sounded lovely and was very energetic.
    5. Do I Have to Come right Out and Say it? - Another Richie vocal of a Neil Young song
    6. Go and Say Goodbye - Stills and Furay vocal blend was back! great to hear this early nugget
    7. I am a Child - Neil's response to Richie's "Child's Claim to Fame". He played harmonica and the Neil fans especially were in heaven (so was I!)
    8. Hot Dusty Roads - a great bluesy Stills workout.
    9. Kind Woman - Richie's signature song to his wife of many years. he sounded wonderful and the audience loved it
    10. Mr. Soul - Neil went apeshit playing this rocker, crowd went nuts, a real highlight
    11. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing - another Neil Young gem with Richie singing lead. Felt like 1966
    12. Everybody's Wrong - Another Stills workout. Such a great guitarist, so fluid and bluesey. of course Neil's electric guitar bursts brought back that signature sound.
    13. My Kind of Love - a real surprise as it was not on any of their three albums. Stills and Furay vocal coupling is back!
    14. Sad Memory - quiet Furay acoustic showcase. So happy to see him back with his old bandmates.
    15. Bluebird - Neil and Stills extended guitar jam in high gear. Neil was having a blast on this Stills classic. (No banjo outro though... was hoping Bernie would make an appearance, )

encore:

16. Broken Arrow - Wow! Never thought they could pull this one off! Joe Vitale really added some dramatic flourishes to make this Neil Young classic a live highlight.
    17. For What it's Worth - Loved watching Neil hit those classic pings on his guitar. Stills growled and snarled his way through and the cowd was singing along. awesome!
    18. Rockin' in the Free World - the only non- Buffalo springfield song, but a fitting coda (with Stills taking a verse) to finish off the night with a ton of energy.
    High up on his own, the Eagle flies alone and he is free...

Thanks for the details - it sounds like a blast!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wow, sounds fantastic! I'm sure it was surreal to see those legends together again!

Thanks for telling us about it!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Wow, how awesome. Rockin' In The Free World.... fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by GettheLeadonOut!! View Post
    16. Broken Arrow - Wow! Never thought they could pull this one off! Joe Vitale really added some dramatic flourishes to make this Neil Young classic a live highlight.
    Did they sing Dewey's part and if so, who sang it?

It sounds like it was a good concert GTLO! I would love to see Buffalo Springfield sometime

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

A question came up in the 'Name this Eagle' game thread about which members of the Eagles auditioned for Buffalo Springfield. I didn't know if this was being confused with Poco or if I had missed something and members of the Eagles had, if fact, auditioned for Buffalo Springfield back in the day. Is there someone here that can clarify this for me?

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Dreamer - I am reading Marc Eliot's To The Limit book, and in it he says that Timothy and Randy competed for the bassist slot in Buffalo Springfield in 1970. This is just not true. Buffalo Springfield broke up in 1968. Two of its members, Jim Messina and Richie Furay, started Poco with Rusty Young. By 1969, Randy had already joined and quit Poco and they had secured Timothy. I don't think any of the Eagles auditioned for Buffalo Springfield. Maybe someone read that bit in that book and thought it was true?

Or, maybe one of the other Eagles did audition for BS (maybe Bernie?) and none of us ever heard about it (this would be surprising, on this board!!)