Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Share the Music You Love

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Ipod Music Recommendations

This is an interesting thread. I love it when I "re-discover" a song from childhood or one I remember hearing from my siblings old record albums.

The Unicorn -The Irish Rovers
    The Shangri-las -Sophisticated Boom, Boom and Give Him A Great Big Kiss
    Time of the Season -The Zombies
    Layla -Eric Clapton
    The Battle of New Orleans-Johnny Horton
    Mustang Sally-Wilson Pickett
    Grazing in the Grass -Friends of Distinction
    Let's Work Together -Canned Heat
    Hallelujah -Jeff Buckley
    Fishin' In the Dark -Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
    Vehicle -Ides of March
    I Hear You Knocking - Dave Edmunds
    Surfin' Bird - The Trashmen

Pretty much everthing I've added in recent months is Country.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Wow! I bow to no-one in my worship of the Belfast Cowboy but that is a beautiful version. Now how do you do this audio conversion?
    Is Aaron Neville the Belfast Cowboy?

FP, I am no expert. In fact it took me forever to figure it out on my own. Nancy or somebody else might have to jump in here. There are many sites that offer free downloads. I use Videora.com (if you want to download videos) and Audioro.com (for just the audios). Fairly easy instructions, even for someone like me.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Sorry. Van Morrison is the Belfast Cowboy.

I love this song, it is one of my favorite songs:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5BuvixR5DE[/ame]

"For the record, we never broke up, we just took a 14-year vacation!"
    (Glenn Frey)

Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    This is an interesting thread. I love it when I "re-discover" a song from childhood or one I remember hearing from my siblings old record albums.

Good list Molly! Your comment made me think of a song that is a very unlikely choice for me, and yet I put it on my ipod because it just brought back so many memories. Actually I thought the song was much older than it is. I remember how sad I was when I finally realized that it was about a dog!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxz2wQX3EvA[/ame]
    ~ Cathy ~

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

Im a huge Aaron Neville fan and this version of Crazy Love is the one I fell in love with in the movies Michael and Phenomenon. I've learned to play it on my guitar and its a great one for just strumming and singing. One of the truely great love songs (BTW, as long as this is an Ipod suggestions thread, the sound track to both those movies AND Elizabethtown (one of my favorite movies) are excellent additions to any ipod!)

Stuck on the Border

Regarding Van Morrison, all his stuff is on iTunes. I recommend the following albums:

Moondance (includes Crazy Love, Into The Mystic, And It Stoned Me. Most accessible album and full of the joy of living).

Beautiful Vision (includes Cleaning Windows) Van the Man's spiritual side is probably at its simplest here. He can get a bit bogged down in this stuff and it isn't necessarily for beginners.

Tupelo Honey - (includes title track, Wild Night) very folksy and Dylan influenced.

Poetic Champions Compose (includes Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child) good mixture of instrumentals and fairly catchy songs.

Best Of Vols. I & 2 (includes the old Them songs Baby Please Don't Go, Gloria & Here Comes The Night, plus the magnificent Wonderful Remark).

If you like all this then you may at last be ready for Astral Weeks (includes Madame George, Cyprus Avenue). I could list every other album but I would also say that Irish Heatbeat, with the Chietains, is a particular favourite of mine.

Thanks for that FP. So far I only have two songs by him - Days Like This and the afore-mentioned Crazy Love. Will check them out!
    ~ Cathy ~

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Good list Molly! Your comment made me think of a song that is a very unlikely choice for me, and yet I put it on my ipod because it just brought back so many memories. Actually I thought the song was much older than it is. I remember how sad I was when I finally realized that it was about a dog!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxz2wQX3EvA
    I love that song, PM. I went out and bought the single and it was one of my brothers who horrified me by telling me the song was about a dog.

It's funny, the song Surfin' Bird is on my list of songs I like now, but I was a toddler when it came out -and it scared the bejeebers out of me then.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Good list Molly! Your comment made me think of a song that is a very unlikely choice for me, and yet I put it on my ipod because it just brought back so many memories.
    You know--when I read this I thought, I know I probably have tons of these kind of songs on mine! Sure enough, I kinda scanned it, and there are. Now that I am running out of space, I should probably start eliminating those songs first-the ones that are just there for sentimental reasons?
    He sings it high, he plays it low