Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles Guitars (and a whole lotta info!)

Another guitar question...

In the 1973 BBC concert when Bernie and Glenn play acoustic guitars, you can see a separate microphone to pick up the sound. There's no sign of any cable attached to the guitars so these seem to be acosutic only.

In the 1977 concert (the one with the documentary), for "Lyin Eyes", Glenn is playing an acoustic guitar, there's still a separate microphone but this guitar also has a cable. The same seems to be true for the one that Joe is playing. I'm assuming this means they are electric-acoustic guitars. What make are they? Why would they still have the separate microphone?

Any idea when they made the switch?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Another guitar question...

In the 1973 BBC concert when Bernie and Glenn play acoustic guitars, you can see a separate microphone to pick up the sound. There's no sign of any cable attached to the guitars so these seem to be acosutic only.

In the 1977 concert (the one with the documentary), for "Lyin Eyes", Glenn is playing an acoustic guitar, there's still a separate microphone but this guitar also has a cable. The same seems to be true for the one that Joe is playing. I'm assuming this means they are electric-acoustic guitars. What make are they? Why would they still have the separate microphone?

Any idea when they made the switch?
    It could just be the difference in the PA setup at the BBC show.

Why they would have a mic if it's plugged in is to capture the true acoustic sound of a guitar. A lot of times in the studio they do that too, plug it in AND record it with a closely placed mic. It causes for a bigger and often better sound than just a cable going to a PA.

Stuck on the Border

Thanks. I thought the reason might be something like that. What do they do these days?

For Tequila Sunrise on The Helen Reddy Show, they also had the acoustics plugged in.

Stuck on the Border

Here's a piece on the guitars used on Eagles tours. Before you read, try to guess how many they took on tour in 1994 and in 2009.

Derek Brooks of guitar manufacturer Ernie Ball/Music Man said his outfit is busy building Eagles guitarist Steuart Smith a new double-necked electric to play in "Hotel California," even though the blond double-neck they made him several years ago is still fine.
    "They've changed set cosmetics around, and they asked for black instruments," Brooks said.
    http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/en...for-the/nQx54/

While I'm at it, here's some pictures from 2010:
    http://guitartechworks.com/2011/02/eagles-stage-shots/

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Here's a piece on the guitars used on Eagles tours. Before you read, try to guess how many they took on tour in 1994 and in 2009.

http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/en...for-the/nQx54/

While I'm at it, here's some pictures from 2010:
    http://guitartechworks.com/2011/02/eagles-stage-shots/
    wow was I off...I guessed 30 guitars!
    love the pics...I love seeing all the behind the scenes equipment pics...I have no idea what most of it is...but it's fascinating!!

Hi Austin. Thanks for the info. Just saw them in Omaha and noticed Glenn occasionally playing a 6 string Tak acoustic dred with a cut-out. I have never noticed him using a dred w/ a cut-out, and know that his signature model doesn't have one. I don't see him needing the cut-out to play rhythm. The weight difference on an acoustic is also probably minimal. Any thoughts from Austin or others?

It's probably not that he did it for upper fret access but just the fact it is what it is and likes the guitar for the sound, rather than needing to play in the upper register.

I've seen that guitar and it's basically another Takamine dread, just with a cutaway unlike his sig model.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Thanks Austin!

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'll put this here since the thread is about the guitars the Eagles use. However, this is a little different, this is a collaboration between the Eagles and Duesenberg. It's a series that Duesenberg has come out with. If this has been posted before, I missed it!

http://duesenberg.de/no_cache/en/gui...%5B0%5D=eagles
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Out on the Border

Walshfan88 can you tell me the Mandolin and 12 String Takamine jumbo that Steuart Smith used in the Long Road Out of Eden tour? I can only find one pic of him playining it but its hard to see the mandolin. Im unsure of the 12 string although I know its not the Takamine G Series EG523SC-12 Jumbo because the pickguard is diferent and has silver hardware instead of the gold.

Here is the link for the pic i Found of the Mandolin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/youngr...7619737554435/

Here is a pic of his 12 string along with Magnum opus 6 string and all of his effects.

http://guitartechworks.com/wp-conten...-Stage-Rig.jpg

Any help would be great thanks