Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are the outlaws in the photo on the back cover of the Desperado Album?

Out on the Border

Default Who are the outlaws in the photo on the back cover of the Desperado Album?

Who are the outlaws standing over the captured Eages laying on the floor in the Henry Diltz photo on the back of Desperado. I read somewhere that four of the guys were Glynn Johns (Desperado producer), Boyd Elder (Texas artist who created the Skull cover for the Eagles 'One of These Nights'-he's in the middle rolling the cigarette), Gary Burden (photographer Henry Diltz's partner) and John Hartmann (who managed the Eagles and was comedian Phil Hartmann's brother - second from the right.) But I am not sure which is Johns and Burden. I think the other guys are roadies.

Apparently they are named in the CD Rom entitled Under the Covers, about the history of album covers done by photographer Diltz, including Desperado.

Can someone list them, left to right please?

Default Re: Who are the outlaws in the photo on the back cover of the Desperado Album?

This was in Marc Eliot's To The Limit: The Untold Story of the Eagles:

"Standing among the posse were Gary Burden, Richie Fernandez, Boyd Elder, Tommy Nixon, John Hartmann, and, in fancy dude clothes, Glyn Johns."

So, it seems the guy with the fancy hat is Glyn Johns. Can't give you a left-to-right, though. Anyone else want to help?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Who are the outlaws in the photo on the back cover of the Desperado Album?

I'm fairly certain that the guy on the far left with the rifle is Gary Burden and the blonde guy in the middle is Boyd Elder. My best guess is that Marc Eliot has the lineup from left to right correct except he leaves one out. Either the second or third guy from the left is Richie Fernandez and I don't know who the other guy is.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Gary Burden - Larry Penny - Richard Fernandez - Boyd Elder - Tommy Nixon - John Hartmann - Glyn Johns

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks SS (and welcome back) - BTW do you know who Larry Penny is? I don't think I've ever heard of him. Guess I could do a web search.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

Thanks Scarlet Sun for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Thanks SS (and welcome back) - BTW do you know who Larry Penny is? I don't think I've ever heard of him. Guess I could do a web search.
    thanks - your guess is as good as mine

Out on the Border

I suspect that Penn, Fernandez and Nixon may be roadies. When interviewed on 'Under the Covers' (there is an excerpt on YouTube), Gary Burden referred to the Eagles play acting in their cowboy outfits with roadies for the photo shoot. Maybe someone else out there might know them?

Both Tommy Nixon and Richie Fernandez were road managers for the Eagles. Nixon remains with Glenn to this day. I believe they started out as roadies, though, so perhaps that's what you're thinking.

No idea about Penny.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Late to the conversation but thanks for ID-ing everyone. I always thought the far right posse member - identified here as Glyn Johns - looked a lot like Dan Fogelberg at that time.