Page 234 of 273 FirstFirst ... 134184224230231232233234235236237238244 ... LastLast
Results 2,331 to 2,340 of 2722

Thread: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

Default Re: Discussion of Eagles Documentary "History of the Eagles"

I find documentary to be to much about Glenn and Don. I would like to have more about other band members. This is about a band, not just 2. I like all music in documentary, very good, but to much sided toward Glenn and Don.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GoranV View Post
    I find documentary to be to much about Glenn and Don. I would like to have more about other band members. This is about a band, not just 2. I like all music in documentary, very good, but to much sided toward Glenn and Don.
    What do you think should have been cut and what should have been added?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I for one would not like to see anything cut, but I wouldn't have minded just a little bit each about Bernie's, Randy's, Felder's, Joe's and Timothy's early years, parents, early bands, musical influences, how they got started and at what ages, etc...like, 30-60 seconds for each of them. It was just so glaring how they did that for the two and not the others. I actually am interested in the others' childhoods, parents and very early careers/first big breaks.

Stuck on the Border

They all have interesting backgrounds. Bernie coming from a large family with a rocket-scientist father, rebelling and going to live in California to learn banjo at the feet of an expert. Randy coming form a small town, married very young and facing the problems of following a career that takes him away from home and family. Timothy travelling round with his musician father, even living in a trailer, early showbiz attempts. I don't feel a need for more Don Felder because he's coverd his early years extensively in his book and interviews but it should be there for those who haven't done as much research.

I'd like a little less on Don Henley's background - there's a bit too much scene-setting that doesn't involved Don and I find myself fast-forwarding through it - car radios, radio transmitters, record collections, Louisiana Hayride etc. He's a country hick exposed to a diversity of musical styles. I get it.

There's a little too much on Don and Glenn's solo careers - I think it's covered twice (the second may be as part of Glenn's justification for getting paid more). I liked Timothy's summary of his career during the break, but maybe he should have mentioned his solo albums. It's hard to know what they could have included for Don Felder, other than have him talk about wanting to be around for his family. Perhaps a clip from one of his tv presenter jobs? Actually, that would be neat!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I, too, got enough of Felder's childhood in his book, but I'm guessing that 99% of those who watched the doc on Showtime have not read his book.

I have to believe that in addition to saying he "hustled" (love that honest description of how he made ends meet, I am using it as my mantra as I look for full-time work), Timothy must have mentioned that he made three solo albums and sang on some huge soundtracks, but the producers didn't find that information interesting enough to include. Also, it doesn't support the Don and Glenn story line, that they were the only ones active during the 14 years, keeping the Eagles name alive. Obviously he had nowhere near their success, but didn't Playin' It Cool make the charts? Didn't So Much in Love? This is not any attempt to compare Timothy's output or success to Don and Glenn's, but it seems clear that his most substantial work was left out of that part of the doc, not even a mention of touring with Ringo Starr, but non-credited Poison and Twisted Sister were left in because it's funny.

Stuck on the Border

I loved the "hustle" comment, too. It brought it home that he wasn't a rich, spoilt "rock star" but a working musician trying to make a living.

The hustle comment is good and it's typical of Timothy I think. I love that his so honest and humble. I also would put more about him and Bernie and Randy in the doc. For example I think it's worth mentioning that Timothy performed while touring with his father when he was less than ten years old but also I would give Randy his due because Timothy obviously came in to the picture rather late.

I agree with all of the above comments! I would have also liked to see more of the background of the other guys in the band. Don and Glenn may be the leaders of the Eagles, but I don't there would have even been the Eagles if it weren't for Bernie and Randy too. They all added up to make that unique sound/harmony. And Joe and Timothy have both been in the band for over 20 years. I don't think they should have made it longer, but they could have cut 5 min or so from both Don's and Glenn's stories to make room.

Stuck on the Border

The intros for Glenn and Don up to their meeting are around 8m 11s for Glenn and 6m 35s for Don . However, Glenn's bit includes The Beatles, Bob Seger ("you're going to have to write your own songs." ), The Byrds, JD Souther ("we weren't very good songwriters at the time."), Jackson Browne (the teapot story and learning how to write songs) and even 8 seconds of Timothy. There isn't really any filler. Maybe something could be trimmed from Don's intro, but the slower pace sets up the contrast in personalities quite well.

Then it's on to Hoot Night, backing Linda Ronstadt and learning that Glenn called his car "Gladys". How could you cut any of that?

The only real slack is in Part Two.

I didn't realize they were that short. I guess it would be tough to cut those down. You are right about the slack being in part two. Maybe part one could have been a little longer, and part two a little shorter. I just finished watching the Tom Petty documentary Runnin Down a Dream. It was really good, but it clocked in at 4 hours! I had to watch it in two settings! So I don't think the answer is to lengthen it, but maybe just cut some from part two.