Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential two don Henley inputs into seven bridges road

Default Potential two don Henley inputs into seven bridges road

Hey guys I'm new to here but I'm a extremely dedicated fan who just saw them at the classic east. One thing I've wondered as listened to seven Bridges Road broken down on YouTube (which is so cool to listen to) is that the first part of the break down is felder and Glenn singing their parts. In the intro there are times when Glenn doesn't sing and you then hear Henley singing. Nothing strange as Glenn I guess doesn't sing that part BUT when they play Henley's solo part it sounds different than the one that is heard in Glenn and felders part. In henleys solo part he sings higher and towards the end he almost goes falsetto. In the beginning he sings "as you go" going down in pitch, but in his solo part he sings it as the same pitch but higher. Am I just hearing stuff or are there two Henley parts at the same time in SBR? You can find the breakdown on YouTube here:https://youtu.be/v4lwJw6g2gM any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Default Re: Potential two don Henley inputs into seven bridges road

Hi YoungEaglesFan, welcome to the board. No you're not just hearing stuff. I can hear it too. There was a lot of studio enhancement done to this "Live" album. When the band was working on the overdubs, things had gone south in the band and I don't think Henley and Frey were even speaking together much less working together. Maybe Glenn had enough and stopped cooperating so Henley filled in for him on those parts that needed a little work. The more likely scenario, though, is that Henley was used to augment those parts b/c of his impeccable vocals. Whatever the case, I do hear two Henley parts.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

UEF - At the time the Eagles album was recorded, Glenn had already left the band. Glenn was recording in LA and the rest of the guys were in Miami. There was no communication between Glenn and the other guys. Bill S. had his assistant engineer with Glenn in LA while he(Bill S.) was in Miami and it was him who communicated with everyone from what I have read. Bill S. even joked about the album being completed via Federal Express. At that point Glenn had checked out and probably did not care what anyone did.

BTW - Welcome !

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

What a cool idea for a video. Predictably, I wish they'd used the "classic" version with Randy 'n Bernie or at least the '77 version.

Border Desperado

I think those isolated vocals videos are pretty neat.
    There was one floating around on Youtube a few years back where they'd isolated Glenn's vocals on TIE, on the HFO video. It was very cool.

There's a Meatloaf video where he's at the sound board with the masters to 2 out of 3 ain't bad..and he's playing different parts like that.

Interestingly, Meatloaf says on that song, they were going for an Eagles sound, because the Eagles were real popular then.
    He plays the harmony part, and says, that sounds like something the Eagles would sing doesn't it.

Border Desperado

Another really cool thing in that video was hearing how deep Felder sings.
    He's almost singing the bass part, like you'd see in traditional 4 part southern gospel harmony.

Joe sounded really bad in that. I know in harmony, everyone's voice is blended, and it's not meant to be "deconstructed", but that song makes me wonder if Joe's microphone is generally lower in harmonies, because his part was nearly unlistenable.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    What a cool idea for a video. Predictably, I wish they'd used the "classic" version with Randy 'n Bernie or at least the '77 version.
    I would have liked to have seen them do an actual "Live" album from the Hotel California era, with Randy singing.

I never figured out why they did a "Live" album, and picked and chose songs from years apart.

I'd rather them have done all songs from the Long Run tour than to do like they did. Especially when there's talking in it, where Glenn is talking about a "new" song that is on Hotel California that's either just came out, or getting ready to come out....and on the same album you have "The Long Run"

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I would have liked to have seen them do an actual "Live" album from the Hotel California era, with Randy singing.

I never figured out why they did a "Live" album, and picked and chose songs from years apart.

I'd rather them have done all songs from the Long Run tour than to do like they did. Especially when there's talking in it, where Glenn is talking about a "new" song that is on Hotel California that's either just came out, or getting ready to come out....and on the same album you have "The Long Run"
    I was so excited to read what Don said in the Runaway Tour Q&A about releasing a special edition of Hotel California. It's supposed to include live tracks from the HC tour. Maybe one of them, hopefully, will be SBR.

(NMB, I don't know if SBR was ever performed when Bernie was there; I bet that would sound awesome).

I can understand the Live album including TITTL from 1976, since the song was dropped from the Long Run Tour. I don't think they could have omitted TITTL entirely given what a show-stopper it was then. I'm not sure about the others though (NKIT, Desperado, WT). Maybe it was decided the best performances were from the '76 concert. There was a string section used in Desperado and WT which I don't think was used in the '80 concert.

I don't know how these things were decided, but if the record company wanted to release a single to desperately promote the last Eagles' output, then it makes sense that the Long Run version of SBR was used. There was still probably hope that the Eagles would stay together and the single needed to reflect the most current line-up at the time.

Banned

The Eagles understandably wanted to include Randy's Take it To The Limit on their 1980's live album.

Live albums were different beasts in the analog age. 1980 even predates VHS video.

After attending a great Genesis show in 1983, I remember buying the official concert video and being quite disappointed that part of the show had been cut to make way for some boring documentary footage. The official explanation was that the general belief in the industry was that a video of an entire 2 hour rock concert could not hold the interest of the purchaser!

I reckon part of the reason Joe got the job in the Eagles is his understanding of harmonics. He actually talks about vocal harmonies in one of his guitar tutorials. Explaining the importance of the parts that are inaudible.

I'm not surprised that Henley added some vocal overdubs to Seven Bridges Road apparently he's the Eagle that keeps working for better results after all the others are done.

Despite it not being on an Eagles studio album, Seven Bridges Road has become an Eagles standard. Henley and Felder have also included it in solo set lists and Walsh opened with it when he did a tour with supergroup, The Best in the 90s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_(band)

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Despite it not being on an Eagles studio album, Seven Bridges Road has become an Eagles standard. Henley and Felder have also included it in solo set lists and Walsh opened with it when he did a tour with supergroup, The Best in the 90s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_(band)
    The link isn't working.