Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Barren Years Post HFO Years

Banned

Default The Barren Years Post HFO Years

Some are saying (in the Thing you do NOT like about the Eagles? topic) that it is unfair to blame Felder for the lack of Eagles activity during 1997 - 2000. I see it as simple basic deduction. They were all pretty active before the HFO resumption, except Felder and things certainly picked up since they sacked him. They've been constantly active, at their own pace, ever since.

As the HFO tour extended longer and longer, there were rumblings of the old tensions resurfacing but I expected older, wiser Eagles to survive them. When the HFO tour ended I expected nothing from the band. Solo albums, more than likely, but nothing as a band. The insistence, made at the start of HFO, that new material was part of the resumption deal, seemed to become unimportant.

The announcement of the Millennium shows, presumably after receiving a financial offer that they couldn't refuse, didn't signal any future promise to me but the announcement of Felder's sacking told me that the Eagles were a lot keener to carry on as a band than I thought they were.

They had all, as expected, released new solo material after HFO, apart from Felder, maybe Felder had prevented them knuckling down to producing a new pre-Millennium, Eagles album. I believe, from reading a section from Felder's book, that the Eagles did attempt to record, new band material, in the late 1990s, I also got the impression that Felder was the least keen about the 3 show Millennium tour that they did do before his sacking and he was certainly very unhappy with his financial cut of the proceeds.

As part of his lawsuit insisted on his immediate reinstatement to the band, I guess that, despite his discontent, Felder never threatened to quit the band so he'd be expressing his displeasure in other ways.

There have been a few other reasons suggested as to why the Eagles de-resumed for a couple of years after the HFO tour but I'm convinced that Felder was being intentionally difficult in an effort to increase his portion of the Eagles pie.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: The Barren Years Post HFO Years

I think the personal relationship between Don and Glenn was so tenuous when they fired it back up in 1994, they were going month by month. Not to mention all of the other issues that could have derailed the resumption - Joe's sobriety, Felder's disgruntlement, new babies and children, etc...The process of writing songs is so intimate and stressful, I think it took them a number of years to be comfortable enough to make the attempt to make a record.

Touring is one thing, writing and recording under the Eagles methodology is another. I don't think I have any backup for this, it just seems logical to me that making a record would be a step too far until they were comfortable (i.e. Felder gone, being sure they didn't hate each other, etc...) Maybe they just didn't have anything they liked.

Stuck on the Border

That sums up what I was trying to say in the other thread. After I saw them at the end of 1995 (and that tour had been delayed due to Glenn's illness).... they disappeared. I heard nothing from them until I read a Q Magazine article about their upcoming European tour which described Felder's firing. I put two & two together. It seemed obvious to me that just as he had been in 1980, he was the cause of the major problems prior to 2001.

Border Desperado

I was listening to the "Farewell 1" cd today, and Don was talking about them preparing to go to the studio to start on a new album on Sept 11, but then after the attacks they didn't go to the studio that day, or many days after, but they did write "Hole in the World".....
    I have heard statements similar to this from the Eagles for years and years, but never any new material.
    Pre-HFO, there was talk that they were all in the studio waiting on Glenn. They were supposedly going to record a new album then. But when they finally did get back together, it was a live greatest hits, plus 4 songs.

Did they ever record the songs they were supposed to be doing over all these years? Were some of what they were going to record utilized on individuals solo albums?
    I have never been sure about things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I was listening to the "Farewell 1" cd today, and Don was talking about them preparing to go to the studio to start on a new album on Sept 11, but then after the attacks they didn't go to the studio that day, or many days after, but they did write "Hole in the World".....
    I have heard statements similar to this from the Eagles for years and years, but never any new material.
    Pre-HFO, there was talk that they were all in the studio waiting on Glenn. They were supposedly going to record a new album then. But when they finally did get back together, it was a live greatest hits, plus 4 songs.

Did they ever record the songs they were supposed to be doing over all these years? Were some of what they were going to record utilized on individuals solo albums?
    I have never been sure about things like this.
    I'm not sure either. They always claim that they throw away everything they don't use, but there is stuff floating around that puts the lie to that. I know that Tim has put rejected songs on his solo projects. I imagine Don and Joe would have done the same. Glenn never did an album of contemporary music, so anything he wrote that wasn't used with the Eagles would be in his effects somewhere. Wouldn't it be a treasure if some of those got released as special tracks or something...

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't think it's exactly fair to put the Eagles lack of activity in that timeframe on Felder's back.

Do I think he might have caused infighting, sure, but to not the extent it kept the band from getting anything done. I also think his firing was an overreaction to some extent in that if all he really did that broke the camel's back was question the money he was making, then I think it was a lame reason for firing him. There HAD to be other things he was bitching about or doing. Asking for a pay raise is a weak reason for someone to fire you unless you go on incessantly about it and bring everyone down. But asking questions about money once or twice before and after the contract was signed, ehh not so much. There has to be more to the story on what he did exactly that broke the camel's back. My guess is that he was stomping his feet and insisting on more money. Asking for a raise or equal pay every once in a while is not likely the reason methinks.

Anywho, I think even if Felder was bickering (and I'm sure he was), that's a poor reason to give as to why you aren't actively doing anything with the band.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I don't think it's exactly fair to put the Eagles lack of activity in that timeframe on Felder's back.

Do I think he might have caused infighting, sure, but to not the extent it kept the band from getting anything done. I also think his firing was an overreaction to some extent in that if all he really did that broke the camel's back was question the money he was making, then I think it was a lame reason for firing him. There HAD to be other things he was bitching about or doing. Asking for a pay raise is a weak reason for someone to fire you unless you go on incessantly about it and bring everyone down. But asking questions about money once or twice before and after the contract was signed, ehh not so much. There has to be more to the story on what he did exactly that broke the camel's back. My guess is that he was stomping his feet and insisting on more money. Asking for a raise or equal pay every once in a while is not likely the reason methinks.

Anywho, I think even if Felder was bickering (and I'm sure he was), that's a poor reason to give as to why you aren't actively doing anything with the band.
    I have to say you DO get tired of someone bringing up something constantly and finally, if they don't stop, it gets to you. I'm sure there was more to it, but......
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Some time ago, I came across a late-90s interview of Don Henley. He was asked about the Eagles' plans and his response was something along the lines of "Glenn prefers to spend time sailing rather than in the studio." Not one word was said about Don Felder. I wish I had saved the link b/c now I can't find the article.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'm not sure either. They always claim that they throw away everything they don't use, but there is stuff floating around that puts the lie to that. I know that Tim has put rejected songs on his solo projects. I imagine Don and Joe would have done the same. Glenn never did an album of contemporary music, so anything he wrote that wasn't used with the Eagles would be in his effects somewhere. Wouldn't it be a treasure if some of those got released as special tracks or something...
    Yes, Don has stated that the song "Waiting Tables" from Cass County is an Eagles reject.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    Yes, Don has stated that the song "Waiting Tables" from Cass County is an Eagles reject.
    it's very Eagleish, and could certainly fit on an early 70s Eagles album.. That would also explain the TBS writing credit. Stan Lynch is credited too. I wonder if he made changes to the song long after it was initially written.