Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: So...if LROOE had been released as a single disc album...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: So...if LROOE had been released as a single disc album...

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I meant it more as if Glenn was still around. Does anyone know if they were permanentely dropping material off the album or if it was just due to the nature of the tour?
    Well, as he's no longer around, and that was the last tour, who knows, but quite frankly I very much doubt that they would have revived any LROOE songs.

The point is calling something a 'history' tour & then ignoring completely the one album they did after their reunion was bizarre. But then it was barely mentioned in the documentary either.

They are getting to be very good at airbrushing their history.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well, as he's no longer around, and that was the last tour, who knows, but quite frankly I very much doubt that they would have revived any LROOE songs.

The point is calling something a 'history' tour & then ignoring completely the one album they did after their reunion was bizarre. But then it was barely mentioned in the documentary either.

They are getting to be very good at airbrushing their history.
    I agree. Something like How Long could have been a good encore song with its relation to the past and the more recent album. But I guess that’s all in the past now

Stuck on the Border

I don't actually dislike Somebody as a song, but for some bizarre reason I tend to have a problem with songwriters recording songs by other writers. That's why I've never felt totally comfortable with On The Border. So many songs written by others. I don't mind an album full of covers. (Glenn has done it. Bowie has done it. Etc.) But when songs by others are mixed with songs by the artist on the same album, I can't get behind the "borrowed" songs the same way. How Long doesn't bother me as much, because it has such a history with the band. IDWTHA is so catchy that it gets a pass I guess, although I'd still like to see Timothy's name in the credits and although the lyric is not that great IMHO. Somebody probably wouldn't bother me if it was an awesome song, but to me it's an ok song. I wish Glenn had written/co-written an uptempo song himself. He has proved that he can do it.

Border Desperado

Default Re: What songs would make you single album version of Long Road Out Of Eden

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He only does that in the line 'and it's calling you home'. It's a bit unfair to hate the entire song based on just that. it was such a thrill to hear him sing an uptempo song on the album, although he didn't write it. And I got to see it performed - twice - before it was unceremoniously dropped.
    The song itself isn't that bad. Not by any means..but it's that part you referenced that ruins it for me.
    The lyrics are decent, and Glenn sounds good until he "tries" that weird voice. It's not even a real falsetto...but some sort of character voice or something..i don't know what you'd call it.

Default Re: What songs would make you single album version of Long Road Out Of Eden

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    The song itself isn't that bad. Not by any means..but it's that part you referenced that ruins it for me.
    The lyrics are decent, and Glenn sounds good until he "tries" that weird voice. It's not even a real falsetto...but some sort of character voice or something..i don't know what you'd call it.
    I agree, and it's the weird voice that ruins the song for me. I don't know what he was trying to do there...and it is rare for me to dislike a song of Glenn's.

My picks for a single disc LROOE, in no particular order:

1. How Long
    2. Busy Being Fabulous
    3. What Do I Do With My Heart
    4. Waiting in the Weeds
    5. No More Cloudy Days
    6. Long Road Out of Eden
    7. Do Something
    8. You Are Not Alone
    9. Business As Usual
    10. It's Your World Now

I could also add No More Walks in the Wood to this. I don't like the idea of an Eagles album without Joe on it, but I don't care for either of his songs on this album.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Well no, it's not falsetto at all, because it's sung in his normal range. I forgot the previous line where he also uses the voice - -'somebody's following you'. I thought it was funny.

It's Glenn's over-reliance on Jack Tempchin that started to bother me, not that it matters now. And of course the much maligned ILTWAWD was also a cover. He seemed to think that not only was Henley a better singer but also a better songwriter.

Stuck on the Border

Question Re: So...if LROOE had been released as a single disc album...

I forgot about ILTWAWD. I'd remove that too for the reasons I mentioned above. Glenn sounds great on it, but I wish he'd done a song he wrote/co-wrote instead. NMCD showed that Glenn didn't even need a co-writer to come up with a great tune. I wish YANA was longer. It's great. When it's so short it seems more like a personal message (which it was) instead of a song. It could have been longer and the extra minutes could have sort of replaced ILTWAWD. WDIDWMH, again, is a very good composition and probably all Glenn's (I suspect Don helped with the lyrics?) Glenn could have replaced the covers easily with his own songs if he wanted to do a double album. If he had problems with lyrics, Don could have helped. They did co-write several songs for Don to sing.

So, as a Glenn fan it feels weird to say I'd remove most of the songs written by others, which would mean less Glenn on the album.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-02-2018 at 03:57 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I first listened to this after watching the documentary despite having been given it a few years earlier. It's the album that got me paying attention to Glenn's singing (back in the 70s, I preferred Don). If Henley had had his way, perhaps the songs that won me over would have been cut.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

As I've said before, I'm very glad that they released it as a double album. Obviously, we'll never know what songs what have survived a cut, but since I think all of the songs are pretty good, I'm glad they saw the light of day. My biggest complaint about the album is that several of Don and Glenn's songs sound more like solo songs than Eagles songs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016