Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setlist decisions, etc...

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Setlist decisions, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    YEF - Thanks - I think they brought it back for the Millennium Concerts too(I do not have that package to listen to). I do know that they did not play as long back then as they do now. If my memory serves me right, they played for appx. 2 hours in 1975; 2 to 2 1/2 hours in 1980 and 3 hours in 1995. They did not have an opening act in 1995.
    I have a bootleg of a 2001 show in Lucca, Italy, and 7BR is in fact the opening song. That was when the four of them used the hand mics & then they did The Long Run. So they did open with it; but not when Felder was in the band. At least I was SURE they opened with it but Soda's setlist is different. There are a lot of photos from that tour of them singing the song, which to me implies they did open with it.

On the LROOE tour they did it but not the full song - for that matter I don't think they did the full song on the Millennium tour either.

My own feeling about the song radically altered when I heard that vocals only version & some of Glenn's part had apparently been removed. It confirmed my belief that Eagles Live is not a 'real' live album and I vowed never to listen to that song again.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-30-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Border Rebel

I can definitely see them opening with 7BR by 2001. By then it was a well known song.

Stuck on the Border

A general rule for setlists seems to be to have a balance of ballads and more up-tempo songs and to aim for more "rock" at the end of the set.

Bernie said that they never performed "Most of Us Are Sad" live because they already had enough ballads (incidentally, that's the song the Glyn Johns said changed his mind).

I've heard bootlegs where Glenn has told the audience it was time to rock or get on their dancing shoes etc, implying that the quiet part of the show was over.

From the early days onwards, the setlist allowed each of them (except Felder) to have at least one lead vocal, although for the first 3-4 years, Glenn usually had as many as the rest put together. That may have been because he sang most of the up-tempo songs.