Page 97 of 303 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: Little things that remind you of the Eagles (5/07 - 10/15)

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

I passed a Linden Road today. Probably not particularly uncommon, but it made me smile.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Portland, Oregon (the only rain forest in the Northern Hemisphere)

I've been revisiting my guilty pleasure, a book series about vampires called The Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris. In the book I just finished, there is a Vampire Bar where they play a radio station strictly for Vampires. The main character, a young human bar maid named Sookie Stackhouse, walks into the bar and they're playing One Of These Nights. Funny how I hadnt noticed that before.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

On CBS This Morning, Harry Smith told that The Heat Is On with the Obama camp. His popularity is waning.

Of course, you know who I thought of!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    On CBS This Morning, Harry Smith told that The Heat Is On with the Obama camp. His popularity is waning.

Of course, you know who I thought of!
    George Bush?

Ohhhhh--you meant Glenn didn't you? Sorry!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

You know how XM radio flashes the song titles? I got really excited when I saw the song title "Victim of Love" - only to hear that it was the song by ERASURE.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

The latest Crate and Barrel catalog features Henley pillows and Otis glassware!
    ~Eva~

...the calling of the tide's eternal tune, the phases of the moon, the chambers of the heart, the egg and dart...

Drove through Linden, Texas today - the hometown of one Donald Hugh Henley!

I'm currently driving back to Indiana from Houston. To do so, you get on Highway 59 going north and stay on that sucker for well over 200 miles until you get to Arkansas. My family used to get on 59 and go through Texarkana when we visited my grandparents (who have now passed on). However, that trip was made from Beaumont and we were on 59 for about half that time, I'd say. I hadn't made the drive from Houston since 2003. I certainly didn't remember all of the towns Highway 59 snaked through.

Imagine my surprise (and - I must admit - delight) when I saw a sign that said "LINDEN 10 miles." "Well, whaddya know," I thought. "I gotta at least stop here for a minute, even if it's only to get gas."

As I drove through the town, I craned my neck left and right trying to take it all in and imagining how it was in the past.... without getting off the highway, unfortunately. I had a LONG drive ahead of me and no time to linger. A pity as I saw the exit for the Theater and I really would have liked to have seen it.

They are widening 59 around that area, it seems, and there was a great deal of ground torn up, so I couldn't see as far as perhaps I might have in the past. Heck, that highway might not have even been there back in the day for all I know. I was able to see several well-kept homes, a couple churches, a store called "Mr. Ed's" - it was nice. I know there are people on the board who have visited the town and have seen it in much more detail - wish I'd have had time to do so myself!

When I saw an Exxon station, I pulled up. Suddenly I realized that I could get a "souvenir" in the form of a receipt from the gas station, and an additional one from the accompanying store, which has printed on it "Linden, Texas." Now, when I write this out, it all comes off as rather silly, but hey - if you're still reading this and not bored out of your mind or sniffing with contempt, you must be a superfan and understand. Anyone who is doing the sniffing would be well-advised to spare themselves the trouble of reading further, as it only gets worse!

The people in the gas station/rest stop store were very nice. We became acquainted after a slight mishap where I accidentally walked into an employee-only area of the rest stop in an attempt to get to the ladies' room. "Shoot, looks like I'm the kind of girl who really does get lost going to the bathroom," I joked, which got a few chuckles. At any rate, I finally took care of business, got my soda and candy bar, and approached the counter. "You folks take debit cards?" I asked, since I hadn't brought any cash.

"Sure," the man at the counter said, smiling.

"Good," I said. "I was worried that since I had such a itty bitty purchase, you would want cash." (Most of these places do, and my purchase came out to a little over $2).

"Actually, it's supposed to be $5 minimum, but don't worry about it," he replied with a wave of his hand.

"Well, aren't you sweet as can be!" I declared happily. I ran my debit card through the reader and waited for my receipt with perhaps a bigger smile on my face and a tad more enthusiasm than is usual for such an exchange.

Once the receipt printed out, I placed it in my purse pocket carefully before taking the soda and candy bar. "Thank you so much and have a wonderful evening, sir," I told him warmly before turning to leave. I was starting to feel a bit ridiculous at being so excited, but I was grateful nonetheless - and he had indeed been very sweet!

As I pulled out of the station, though, I almost got a souvenir from Linden that I sure DIDN'T want. Many times police cars hover about these small towns and wait for highway traffic to zip through without slowing down, then pull folks over for speeding. When I was 16, I received my first speeding ticket in such a manner when zipping through lovely Silsbee, Texas, lol. Luckily, before I could get up to speed today, somebody else got pulled over down the road and I was well-warned to keep it at the limit. That sure would have been a pretty ignominious exit from Linden if it had been me! (Not that I'm a speed demon or anything but I do have a tendency to perhaps go a tiny bit over the limit).

This story perhaps was a bit overlong considering how little happened... but a receipt for a Coke and a Snickers bar from a gas station in Linden, Texas truly fits the definition of a "little thing that reminds you of the Eagles," wouldn't you say?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Yup, I'd say so!

Although, the whole time I was reading I was shaking my head that you didn't tour the town, since you were there! How could you not?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Well, it's not like I'd know where to go or anything, other than following the signs to the music theater. If I tried to tour the city, I'd probably just get lost. Linden may not be big but when you have no directional sense, it doesn't matter. I'd wind up on a dirt road somewhere and have to turn around and try to get back to the highway with not much to show for my detour! Some of you who've ridden with me know I'm not exaggerating!

It's not like I could knock on somebody's door and say "Hey, I hear Don Henley grew up 'round these parts and fixed up some stuff around here, like the courthouse and some sidewalks... do you know where all that is? I wanna take some photos of it. And while you're at it, do you happen to know where he lived and where he hung out and the like? 'Cause I wanna take some photos of that too... sir, why are you looking at me that way... I'm just a big fan is all...you know folks go see where George Washington used to live, just think of it like that...." [door slams in face]

Anyway, later everybody, I'm off to Indiana!

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Soda, I'll help out with your story. Little things that remind you---when Nancy texts you at 12:04 AM to let you know she has stopped for gas in Linden Texas! Is it pathetic that I was really EXCITED about it after I jumped out of bed at that hour to grab my phone, with my heart in my throat thinking it might be one of my kids! Larry, half asleep, asked "what is it?" and I told him "Nancy stopped for gas in Linden Texas". He moaned, and said, "something to do with the Eagles, right?" Now how'd he figure that?
    He sings it high, he plays it low