Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles

Default Re: The Beatles

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I would rather talk about what songs I like than what I don't like so I will leave it there.
    Amen to that!

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Wow. Those first four are amongst my absolute favourites (especially I'm A Loser). How in the world can anyone not like Doctor Robert & You Won't See Me? Good grief. I am afraid we are now going to have to agree to disagree, because ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

And for the record, there is nothing wrong with Ob-la-di Ob-la-da. The people in Finland would be much better off using Maxwell's Silver Hammer if they want an example of a song that isn't so good.

I would rather talk about what songs I like than what I don't like so I will leave it there.
    I did mention songs that I like. I mentioned both. I was a little harsh with that list, I see that now. And they don't actually "suck" (except "Not a second time" does IMO). I'd like to withdraw that.

My point was that there are an awful lot of Beatles songs that are hardly ever mentioned, so they may not have a huge audience. A lot of these are my favorite Beatles tracks. Of course for every song there are people who love them. But it seems to me that most people just accept that they were somehow perfect, even though some songs were greater than others - like with any group.

I love these songs, for example:

She loves you
    Any time at all
    It won't be long
    There's a place
    No reply
    Most of Rubber soul
    Eleanor Rigby
    Almost the whole Help! album
    Most of the so called "White album"
    Blue Jay Way
    and so on and so on....

Personally there are more Beatles songs I like than songs I don't like.

Basically I'd like to remove the exaggeration from my posts. I must have been out of my mind last night. I apologize for my behavior.
    Last edited by chaim; 03-12-2014 at 07:37 AM.

I was just being sarcastic. It never comes through in writing. We love the Beatles here, but at the same time we do our best so that the following generations will hate them. I was just joking. I should have put a in there.

I only got to sing untranslated Beatles songs at music classes as far as I remember but I think I have seen some stupid Finnish translations somewhere
    Yeah and let's talk more about the songs we DO LIKE

I personally like the early stuff not because of their sophistication(they were relatively simple and not so great lyrically) but because of the unique feeling of the boy's energy and enthusiasm. Out of the early ones There's a Place is a favorite of mine and It's Only Love which Lennon hated but I like because of the way he sings it

[QUOTE=bluefeather
    Yeah and let's talk more about the songs we DO LIKE

There are just sooo many great songs! I have always loved "Hey, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away. Nowhere Man. If I Fell. John and Paul's harmony on that song is wonderful.

In an interview once George Martin talked about what a perfectionist John was when it came to the final end result of a song. He says that John was never completely satisfied with Strawberry Fields. He kept telling George Martin that he could sing better! George M. kept telling John that his singing was maybe the best that he had sang on any record. John insisted that his singing was not right for the song and the group had to tell him individually that it was ready to release but John agreed very reluctantly.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    I did mention songs that I like. I mentioned both. I was a little harsh with that list, I see that now. And they don't actually "suck" (except "Not a second time" does IMO). I'd like to withdraw that.

My point was that there are an awful lot of Beatles songs that are hardly ever mentioned, so they may not have a huge audience. A lot of these are my favorite Beatles tracks. Of course for every song there are people who love them. But it seems to me that most people just accept that they were somehow perfect, even though some songs were greater than others - like with any group.

I love these songs, for example:

She loves you
    Any time at all
    It won't be long
    There's a place
    No reply
    Most of Rubber soul
    Eleanor Rigby
    Almost the whole Help! album
    Most of the so called "White album"
    Blue Jay Way
    and so on and so on....

Personally there are more Beatles songs I like than songs I don't like.

Basically I'd like to remove the exaggeration from my posts. I must have been out of my mind last night. I apologize for my behavior.
    There is no need to apologise, chaim. You have explained it now. Except that Not A Second Time is a great track.

More random favourites of mine:

BF, I also love It's Only Love. I think it's a beautiful melody & sentiment.
    One After 909 - they wrote this in the early days but didn't record it until Let It Be. Listen to John & Paul. They were about to split but they sound like they're having the time of their lives.
    Good Morning Good Morning - London in the Swinging 60s!
    I'll Be Back - this is just beautiful.
    I'm So Tired - John at his most world weary.
    For No-One - people who think Paul was a gooey sentimentalist should listen to this clear eyed dissection of the end of an affair (see also You Won't See Me).

I'm So Tired is a funny track, especially the line about Sir Walter Raleigh, For No One is one my favorites off of Revolver and I don't think it's sentimental at all

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by bluefeather View Post
    I'm So Tired is a funny track, especially the line about Sir Walter Raleigh, For No One is one my favorites off of Revolver and I don't think it's sentimental at all
    That's my point. For No-One is not sentimental. It is the complete opposite.

"For No One" is another one of my favorites! I'm sure most of you already know this but Paul sings the song in concert on the " The Space Within Us" DVD.

It's a hard task for me, a life-long fan of The Beatles, to choose my favorite Fab Four songs. With every turn of my mood the list changes. Anyways, let's give it a try.

A Day In the Life
    Long Long Long
    Across the Universe
    I'm So Tired
    I Am the Walrus
    Hey Bulldog
    Something
    Penny Lane
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    Norwegian Wood

That's the top ten for today

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "