Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Guns N'Roses

Default Re: Guns N'Roses

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Welcome to the Highway to Hell. (I can't picture this working out well!)

To Angus Young,

Since your brother Malcolm can't play anymore, and it looks like Brian Johnson won't be able to either, perhaps it's time to consider retiring the band. You've had an amazing run that has lasted over 40 years!

Sincerely,

Millions of AC/DC fans worldwide.

(This seems to be the consensus on Facebook)
    Get Over It

This is going to rock.

Also Axl doen't cause these days that was almost 30 years ago. Guns N Roses never broke up I suggest reading this threadhttp://gnrtruth.proboards.com/thread/4929/axl-finally-vindicated.

And for the weight voice comments jezee give me a break.

Credit to MSL the admin.

What ripped GNR apart was the battle over creative control that erupted when it came time to make an album after the Use Your Illusion tour. Gilby was brought in on short notice to fulfill Izzy's touring responsibilities, but Izzy's far more important role was as Axl's primary songwriting partner.

From Axl's perspective, with he and Izzy being responsible for the vast majority of GNR's songwriting, he shouldn't have been expected to suddenly recreate the magic he had with his childhood friend with some random dude brought in as a touring replacement on short notice.

So, Axl wanted to bring in another childhood friend, who he had already written GNR songs with previously, Paul Tobias, to fill that void (Paul wrote the first song the Appetite lineup ever rehearsed). From Axl's perspective, with he and whoever he wrote with being responsible for the bulk of the songwriting, he should have been able to pick whoever he was comfortable with.

From Slash's perspective, with Izzy gone, it was now Slash's "turn" to write the next album. One problem, while Slash had made many key songwriting contributions, he rarely was the one to start songs from scratch and had never been relied upon heavily previously to carry the songwriting load. That was Axl and Izzy's job.

You're dealing with a lot of egos, you're dealing with two millionaires, one of the most recognizable singers and one of the most recognizable guitarists on the planet.

They both had points of view that some would understand. Axl feeling he should be able to pick the person to fill the songwriting void left by the departure of his childhood friend. Slash feeling there was no way some "new guy" should waltz in and write the album instead of him.

Slash presented an album's worth of songs for Axl to sing on for the next GNR album. Axl felt most of them weren't good enough. Duff agreed with Axl. Axl wanted to work on a few of them and scrap the rest. Slash wanted all of them to be used or else he was threatening to go solo.

For the next year or two, Slash quit and unquit many times. Most of which never went public. He never actually wanted to quit. It was a power play. Trying to force Axl's hand and make him agree to Slash taking over the creative direction of GNR.

Axl eventually called his bluff and moved on without him. Something Slash never thought he'd do in a million years.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I can see both sides. Not to mention the egos, money and substance abuse involved.

But what in theory was a complicated situation ultimately was rather simple. Axl and Slash couldn't agree on a creative direction, so they divorced. Except Slash never wanted a divorce, he just thought threatening divorce would get him his way. Instead he got the divorce he asked for, but never really wanted.
    Last edited by travlnman2; 04-17-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: More info.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I streamed Coachella live last night and Axl sounded great, he can hit all the notes.

It's a funny story actually. I wanted to see GnR, so I tuned in at 10:30 when they were supposed to be on. I no kidding sat through Ice Cube with Snoop Dog, a full set of Silversun Pickups, and a full set of Zedd (EDM - I daresay I enjoyed it and it looked like fun.) GnR finally came on at 12:45 and played two songs and the live stream ended at 1:00, the curfew. So I only got to see two songs!!! But apparently they played for 3 hours!!! It's going to be a massive fine!!

Axl sort of has the same raspy, nasaly, high voice as AC/DC's singer, so I think the songs will sound fine. I sure wouldn't want to have Bryan Adams or somebody singing Don's or Glenn's parts on an Eagles tour, though. I guess what I'm saying is I think it would be cool to see a show with Axl fronting GnR, but probably their die hard fans wouldn't.

And, he has to sit on a big ol' throne because of his broken foot - I don't know how he can sign full out from a seated position, he needs to be careful with his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I streamed Coachella live last night and Axl sounded great, he can hit all the notes.

It's a funny story actually. I wanted to see GnR, so I tuned in at 10:30 when they were supposed to be on. I no kidding sat through Ice Cube with Snoop Dog, a full set of Silversun Pickups, and a full set of Zedd (EDM - I daresay I enjoyed it and it looked like fun.) GnR finally came on at 12:45 and played two songs and the live stream ended at 1:00, the curfew. So I only got to see two songs!!! But apparently they played for 3 hours!!! It's going to be a massive fine!!

Axl sort of has the same raspy, nasaly, high voice as AC/DC's singer, so I think the songs will sound fine. I sure wouldn't want to have Bryan Adams or somebody singing Don's or Glenn's parts on an Eagles tour, though. I guess what I'm saying is I think it would be cool to see a show with Axl fronting GnR, but probably their die hard fans wouldn't.

And, he has to sit on a big ol' throne because of his broken foot - I don't know how he can sign full out from a seated position, he needs to be careful with his voice.
    Every act only streams for 15 so GNR was on time. Because they want you to pay to see a full show. 15mins is fine for men I am going to see them this summer.

Yeah, I was coming back to update -

see here -

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...417-story.html

So, they did start on time, they just didn't show it! The other bands I watched, they streamed their full set - an hour. I sat through them with the hopes of seeing GnR!

Border Desperado SilverAcidRayne's Avatar

i'm still struggling with this. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Yeah, I was coming back to update -

see here -

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...417-story.html

So, they did start on time, they just didn't show it! The other bands I watched, they streamed their full set - an hour. I sat through them with the hopes of seeing GnR!
    Mostly because they are small acts wanting to get exposure aka Gary Clark JR who is a incredible guitarist and was awesome with Joe at the Beatles thing a few years ago.

But with gnr they don't need that kind of exposure.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

I absolutely do not understand the appeal of this band. Never have and never will. Totally over-done 'Thrash Rock'--Same goes for Metallica, IMO. The absolute death of Rock music as a functioning, popular entity.

They did some of the most unpalatable cover versions of classic songs(Dylan, McCartney), but there is a cover version of a GnR song that I DO like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKjmB2DaAs
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by WS82Classics View Post
    I absolutely do not understand the appeal of this band. Never have and never will. Totally over-done 'Thrash Rock'--Same goes for Metallica, IMO. The absolute death of Rock music as a functioning, popular entity.

They did some of the most unpalatable cover versions of classic songs(Dylan, McCartney), but there is a cover version of a GnR song that I DO like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKjmB2DaAs
    Wow...GnR and Metallica couldn't be further apart musically IMO...

We went from classic rock type stuff to hair metal and GnR brought Aerosmith and Stones and Zeppelin type music back after all of the hair bands and really was the last band to be cut from the same cloth.

I prefer their cover versions of those songs. I love Dylan's songwriting but his voice is just not something I can imagine. I love how they added energy to KOHD and kept it from being a depressing song. I did like Macca's original LALD, but GnR's is very good.

But to say GnR is like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc (the true big 4 of thrash metal) is incorrect, I must say.

Yes their music was harder edged but it was more true to 70s classic rock than the hair bands of their time, and they brought rock n' roll back to the forefront and Slash brought Les Pauls back when everyone was playing neon colored pointy guitars.

It's fair enough that you don't like them or their covers, but I just cannot say that they are "thrash" at all, they have a rock swagger akin to Aerosmith, and Aerosmith certainly isn't thrash music either.

Even Aerosmith have said GnR was the last band to be cut from their cloth and that they were into the same music and that it was pure rock n' roll. But certainly not thrash metal/rock.

To me, the death of rock n' roll started with the Nirvana type bands and alternative/grunge bands with the emo/"i hate myself and want to die" teen angst stuff.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 09-19-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Guns N Roses is not thrash metal at all
    Every Guns N Roses album from Appetite For Destruction to Chinese Democracy (favorite album yes I have heard all the complaints and honestly get over it Axl/Slash and Duff have so should the fans.

Appetite For Destruction- Stra Up RockN Roll influenced by Glam metal and one ballad. Contains primitive epic songs like Nightrain,Rocket queen etc.

Use Your Illusion 1- Takes the form of Classic queenesque epics but still have the Appetite For Destruction rock swag to it. In my opinion stand out tracks are. November Rain, Dust N Bones, Don't Cry Live and Die,Coma.

Use Your Illusion 2-All Epics no straight rock songs i.e. very symphonic. Has some country influence on songs like Breakdown,Yesterdays. Standouts imo. Knocking On Heavens Door. Estranged, Civil War, 14 Years, Get in the ring.

Chinese Democracy. A continuation of UYI2 but adding influence of Grunge,Industrial Rock,Hip Hop,Electronica and pop. It has a vibe like it could be a movie soundtrack, Once again very symphonic.

Stand out tracks.Astriks mark which songs have been played with Slash and Duff and or staples of the current set list and are marked with 2 astride.

Chinese Democracy**
    Better**
    Catcher In The Rye*
    Street Of Dreams.
    There Was A Time(fantastic solo by buckethead)*
    Madagascar
    This I Love**

I've always liked GnR, ever since the release of Appetite for Destruction. Great songs, great melodies, great singing and guitar playing.

For some reason, in my head I've always thought of them as similar genre-wise to Blind Melon, but I think that's because both singers are from Indiana!! They're just straight up Hollywood rock with a tinge of country sometimes. Axl was dead sexy once upon a time.