The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > Eagles

Eagles Hang out on The Border with the Eagles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
thelastresort
Border Troubadour
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: England
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Take It Easy was probably best in the MTV concerts for Hell Freezes Over, though it should be illegal to place it mid-set like they did. Special mention for the 1973 BBC version and its wondeful rendition of Silver Dagger beforehand, by an Olympic distance the best a capella they ever did.

Peaceful Easy Feeling I would say was DKRC. Love Felder's mandolin even though Glenn's lead wasn't his best. Leadon was born to play that solo. Again special mention to the F1 rendition with Glenn's added humming (I think) over the solo.

Witchy Woman - Never been a fan at all but the superb HOTE take made it bearable. Also fond of the first c.15 seconds of the BBC 73 version when they sounded like they forgot to tune their guitars or something.

TLHTM - Probably the BBC 73 version.

Earlybird is only bearable with the Foggy Mountain Breakdown segue afterwards.

I do not care enough about Chug All Night, Nightingale or Tryin' to listen to them in any format other than the studio version; nor do I care for audio bootlegs by and large. Two of my favourites from the album Take the Devil and the brilliant Most of Us Are Sad have never been performed live.
thelastresort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 177
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
Take It Easy was probably best in the MTV concerts for Hell Freezes Over, though it should be illegal to place it mid-set like they did. Special mention for the 1973 BBC version and its wondeful rendition of Silver Dagger beforehand, by an Olympic distance the best a capella they ever did.

Peaceful Easy Feeling I would say was DKRC. Love Felder's mandolin even though Glenn's lead wasn't his best. Leadon was born to play that solo. Again special mention to the F1 rendition with Glenn's added humming (I think) over the solo.

Witchy Woman - Never been a fan at all but the superb HOTE take made it bearable. Also fond of the first c.15 seconds of the BBC 73 version when they sounded like they forgot to tune their guitars or something.

TLHTM - Probably the BBC 73 version.

Earlybird is only bearable with the Foggy Mountain Breakdown segue afterwards.

I do not care enough about Chug All Night, Nightingale or Tryin' to listen to them in any format other than the studio version; nor do I care for audio bootlegs by and large. Two of my favourites from the album Take the Devil and the brilliant Most of Us Are Sad have never been performed live.
Take It Easy was pretty good from HFO. As for BBC 1973, only the intro was something I cared about in that version.

Same here for PEF! Lovely version. Though I don't like the F1 rendition. I didn't like them as much after Felder left tbh.

For Witchy Woman, really?? One of the WORST versions I ever heard. They sounded way too weak. I really felt Walsh's guitar playing was meh that time. Frey or better yet, Leadon should have been lead. TLHTM is wonderful from BBC 73. And same for both of us for Earlybird. Foggy Mountain Breakdown was there in ABC 1973.

Chug All Night is WAY better live! Trust me! Felder adds guitar and it is incredible! But Nightingale and Tryin' are okay. I don't like Most of Us Are Sad or Take the Devil.
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
New Kid In Town
Border Troubadour
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 1,393
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

cosec3791 - I don't own any bootlegs. However, I have seen or heard many on you tube. My favorite regarding the album is Take It Easy at the Capital Center Concert in March 1977. I prefer TIE all electric with Glenn playing his Gibson guitar. I think the all electric version makes the song more energetic and always seemed to get the crowd going.

I have heard the HFO Second Night version of PEF and think it is beautiful. Agree with Soda on this ! It is a sin it was left off the cd. With all the dubbing they are known for, I find it hard to believe they could not fix the little guitar glitz made by Felder. It was hardly noticeable. JMHO.
New Kid In Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 730
Angry Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
cosec3791 - I don't own any bootlegs. However, I have seen or heard many on you tube. My favorite regarding the album is Take It Easy at the Capital Center Concert in March 1977. I prefer TIE all electric with Glenn playing his Gibson guitar. I think the all electric version makes the song more energetic and always seemed to get the crowd going.

I have heard the HFO Second Night version of PEF and think it is beautiful. Agree with Soda on this ! It is a sin it was left off the cd. With all the dubbing they are known for, I find it hard to believe they could not fix the little guitar glitz made by Felder. It was hardly noticeable. JMHO.
Totally agree about the PEF. I love TIE at the Capital centre as well. Although all the performances are standouts in that concert, that one was arguably the best. The energy and vibe they give off in that is fantastic
YoungEaglesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:58 PM   #15
Dawn
Stuck on the Border
 
Dawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Walking in Memphis ...
Posts: 1,584
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

This is all really interesting, just want to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts I definitely enjoy the feedback.
__________________


"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #16
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,890
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

My favorite version of Earlybird is from ABC 1973. Everybody is on point and seems to be really into it throughout... maybe partially because this was so early in their careers and they really wanted to put their best foot forward.

It has that great banjo solo at the end as they always did at the end live, but even more so, in this version, they have great energy from the crowd they feed off it. I mean the whole crowd, who is sitting because it's a TV audience, jumps to their feet clapping along at 3:08 two-thirds through the song as Bernie breaks it down and they just keep it up for the rest of the song.

So.. I'm going to do something scandalous... and link to YouTube to show you what I mean.

__________________


Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 177
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
cosec3791 - I don't own any bootlegs. However, I have seen or heard many on you tube. My favorite regarding the album is Take It Easy at the Capital Center Concert in March 1977. I prefer TIE all electric with Glenn playing his Gibson guitar. I think the all electric version makes the song more energetic and always seemed to get the crowd going.

I have heard the HFO Second Night version of PEF and think it is beautiful. Agree with Soda on this ! It is a sin it was left off the cd. With all the dubbing they are known for, I find it hard to believe they could not fix the little guitar glitz made by Felder. It was hardly noticeable. JMHO.
Tbh, there is not too many on the Tube. All them copyright companies taking it away.

Capital Center. Ugh. But I also do like all electric.

I do feel the singing was on point, but I feel the electric guitars are more suited for a non quasi acoustic version, than this. But I love the addition of guitars and harmonies later on. And about overdubbing, that's why I don't like Capital Center. Such a shady affair once you analyze.
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 177
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
My favorite version of Earlybird is from ABC 1973. Everybody is on point and seems to be really into it throughout... maybe partially because this was so early in their careers and they really wanted to put their best foot forward.

It has that great banjo solo at the end as they always did at the end live, but even more so, in this version, they have great energy from the crowd they feed off it. I mean the whole crowd, who is sitting because it's a TV audience, jumps to their feet clapping along at 3:08 two-thirds through the song as Bernie breaks it down and they just keep it up for the rest of the song.

So.. I'm going to do something scandalous... and link to YouTube to show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFGKWwT6aTo
My favorite version of Earlybird! Surprised to see people like this version in spite of the quality. Also come on! More songs. I really especially want your opinions, as you are very experienced.
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 177
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
This is all really interesting, just want to say thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts I definitely enjoy the feedback.
Waitin' for yours!
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #20
cosec3791
Border Desperado
 
cosec3791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abu Dhabi, UAE
Posts: 177
Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
I think Glenn sounds much better singing lower, like he does from HFO forward.
I disagree there. For me, his younger voice sounded better to me.
__________________
The chemistry... nuff said
cosec3791 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.