The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Off-Topic Discussion Areas > Cheap Talk and Wine

Cheap Talk and Wine Here's talk on the street and chit-chat about off-topic subjects.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:49 AM   #41
chaim
Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Fake Reviews ???

I don't agree that Vince couldn't be criticised because he's a guitar virtuoso and "great" overall. This doesn't mean that he helps Eagles sound Eagles. I don't think FP means that some reviewers should say that he sucks as an artist, but that there should be even a little bit of "how 'Eaglesy' is this?" here and there. And I agree.
chaim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #42
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim View Post
I don't agree that Vince couldn't be criticised because he's a guitar virtuoso and "great" overall. This doesn't mean that he helps Eagles sound Eagles. I don't think FP means that some reviewers should say that he sucks as an artist, but that there should be even a little bit of "how 'Eaglesy' is this?" here and there. And I agree.
I donít think many reviews would cover the question of how ďEaglesyĒ the band sounds. These arenít articles meant to discuss the validity of the lineup and how it could be optimized. Itís just a review of how they have sounded in concert. None of the members on stage are bad performers. I do not see a reason for a bad performance from them as long as they play up to their standards. Itís a different question of how they sound compared to Glenn but that would be personal taste. If someone prefers Gillís voice to Glennís then you would probably find them to be performing better. Thatís just my take on it
YoungEaglesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #43
chaim
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
I donít think many reviews would cover the question of how ďEaglesyĒ the band sounds. These arenít articles meant to discuss the validity of the lineup and how it could be optimized. Itís just a review of how they have sounded in concert. None of the members on stage are bad performers. I do not see a reason for a bad performance from them as long as they play up to their standards. Itís a different question of how they sound compared to Glenn but that would be personal taste. If someone prefers Gillís voice to Glennís then you would probably find them to be performing better. Thatís just my take on it
If there was just one "(as fantastic as he is) Vince Gill's voice doesn't work as well in this song" kind of comment here and there....but everything seems to be just perfect. A guy replaces a person who founded the band and was there until his death and there doesn't seem to be even one such comment. BTW I don't agree that the Eagles sound is just a matter of taste. To some degree it probably is, but IMO it's not quite that simple since Glenn was an essential part of that sound until his death.

I'm not going to shout this from rooftops. My point is that I understand what FP means and I happen to agree with her.

Last edited by chaim; 04-23-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #44
Delilah
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
Reviews which are 100% positive & have no criticism AT ALL, not even minor ones, need to be questioned.
Quote:
If there was just one "(as fantastic as he is) Vince Gill's voice doesn't work as well in this song" kind of comment here and there....but everything seems to be just perfect. A guy replaces a person who founded the band and was there until his death and there doesn't seem to be even one such comment.
Well here you go FP and Chaim, a concert review that is not 100% positive and includes a comparison with Glennís voice.

Quote:
Less successful were "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Take It Easy," which lacked some kick and sounded more like covers with Deacon Frey at the helm...Never has the encore fake-out been less convincing than when the Eagles left the stage before playing "Hotel California." Rather than cheering, clapping, and stomping, the audience calmly lit the stands with cell-phone flashlights. They didn't have to persuade any bandmates to come back. They knew the Eagles wouldn't leave without playing it.
ĒThe Eagles Played on Without Glenn Frey at Hard Rock StadiumĒ by Celia Almeida, Miami New Times, Apr. 23, 2018

Take it to the limit, one more time.
Delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #45
chaim
Stuck on the Border

Thanks, Delilah. Nice to see that someone didn't find everything perfect. Everything doesn't even have to be perfect.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #46
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Quote:
If there was just one "(as fantastic as he is) Vince Gill's voice doesn't work as well in this song" kind of comment here and there....but everything seems to be just perfect. A guy replaces a person who founded the band and was there until his death and there doesn't seem to be even one such comment. BTW I don't agree that the Eagles sound is just a matter of taste. To some degree it probably is, but IMO it's not quite that simple since Glenn was an essential part of that sound until his death.

I'm not going to shout this from rooftops. My point is that I understand what FP means and I happen to agree with her.
I agree that the Eagles sound has gotten worse since Glenn has left, as in they donít sound as Eaglesy. But what I meant is just on the basis of how the song is performed someone might like Vinceís take of tequila sunrise vs Glennís etc. or like Linda singing desperado vs Don. I think that how well they performed is less opinionated because we can hold them to their high standards but how Glennís version of a song is compared to another persons is more personal taste.
YoungEaglesFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #47
groupie2686
Border Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
Well here you go FP and Chaim, a concert review that is not 100% positive and includes a comparison with Glennís voice.

ĒThe Eagles Played on Without Glenn Frey at Hard Rock StadiumĒ by Celia Almeida, Miami New Times, Apr. 23, 2018
This is the first article I've read that wasn't 100% positive.
groupie2686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:22 PM   #48
chaim
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
Maybe they paid for a less kind review when they noticed we were onto them.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #49
Dawn
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Maybe they paid for a less kind review when they noticed we were onto them.
Well, I did say I hoped someone was paying attention.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 PM   #50
New Kid In Town
Border Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
Thanks Delilah. First of what I would call a semi negative review.

Chaim -
New Kid In Town is offline   Reply With Quote