The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Band Member Discussion Areas > Former Eagles

Former Eagles Pay your dues and travel on with Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #41
EagleLady
Stuck on the Border
 
EagleLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In The Hotel California
Posts: 4,997
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Randy
__________________
EagleLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #42
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border
 
WalshFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 9,720
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Don Felder is my favorite Ex-Eagle. He is one of my biggest guitar inspirations other than Joe Walsh. He and Joe were my favorite guitar duo.
__________________
-Austin-
Resident Guitar Slinger
Fan of the Eagles 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

"People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016

WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #43
Scarlet Sun
Border Rebel
 
Scarlet Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: where we have brought our children
Posts: 529
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Bernie. One reason is that he came up with the catchy opening riffs/licks to no less than seven songs on the (first or second) best-selling album of all time . . .
Scarlet Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM   #44
MikeA
Stuck on the Border
 
MikeA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 3,374
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeA
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.
__________________

MikeA
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #45
Freypower
Stuck on the Border
 
Freypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
Bernie. One reason is that he came up with the catchy opening riffs/licks to no less than seven songs on the (first or second) best-selling album of all time . . .
Which songs? He only has a songwriting credit for Witchy Woman. I am not disputing what you are saying, I am just wondering why you are so sure that only Bernie came up with these riffs.
__________________
Freypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #46
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border
 
WalshFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 9,720
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
I think Bill Szymczyk is my favorite ex-Eagle though he did come out of retirement to do Long Road Out Of Eden in 2007 and I guess doesn't qualify because of that. So much of that "Eagles Sound" is because of his untold hours in the editing studio both during and after the "takes". Same with Walsh's works and the James Gang before that. Bill doesn't get the public recognition he should get....but then not many "producers" do get that recognition. People tend to think the magic on records is pure talent from the band....and I'm not discounting that at all. But it takes someone who really knows what they are doing to take that live sound and get it laid down on vinyl or digitized onto a CD or DVD.

But I think the intent was to name an "ex" that performed on stage with band during concerts. Felder, Meisner and Leadon. For me, it would have to be Felder but NOT just because he was a virtuoso on guitar. His style is closer to what I identify with. Leadon is however, the most accomplished musician in my opinion. I think he could play a fishing line if he had to and play it well! Love his work on mandolin and banjo as well as guitar.

Meisner would get the nod from me on vocals of those three X's.
I agree. Bill is a GREAT producer and engineer!
__________________
-Austin-
Resident Guitar Slinger
Fan of the Eagles 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

"People don't run out of dreams, people just run out of time."

RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016

WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #47
Scarlet Sun
Border Rebel
 
Scarlet Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: where we have brought our children
Posts: 529
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
Which songs? He only has a songwriting credit for Witchy Woman. I am not disputing what you are saying, I am just wondering why you are so sure that only Bernie came up with these riffs.
Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Best Of My Love

In the case of the first two songs, we know that in To The Limit J.D. Souther credited him with coming up with the opening of Take It Easy, and Don talked about the opening of Witchy Woman in the Very Best Of The Eagles booklet. As far as the rest of them go, Bernie played them, and J.D. said that he had a knack for coming up with those hooks, so I would assume they were his unless there was evidence to the contrary. Opening riffs don't have anything to do with songwriting credits, unless you're the organ player for Procol Harum . . .
Scarlet Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #48
EaglesFanatic
Border Rebel
 
EaglesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 878
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

If I had to choose my favorite ex-eagle, it would have to be Felder. He is so amazing at the solos and I love his style. I think Randy has a very unique sound to his voice. Bernie is very fun to watch on old videos, because he plays the banjo like it's second nature. Overall though, Don is my favorite ex-eagle.
__________________
EaglesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #49
Freypower
Stuck on the Border
 
Freypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Best Of My Love

In the case of the first two songs, we know that in To The Limit J.D. Souther credited him with coming up with the opening of Take It Easy, and Don talked about the opening of Witchy Woman in the Very Best Of The Eagles booklet. As far as the rest of them go, Bernie played them, and J.D. said that he had a knack for coming up with those hooks, so I would assume they were his unless there was evidence to the contrary. Opening riffs don't have anything to do with songwriting credits, unless you're the organ player for Procol Harum . . .
But are we talking about the acoustic or electric riffs? At least for Tequila Sunrise & Lyin' Eyes, which Glenn co-wrote, those songs begin with acoustic strumming before the electric guitar kicks in. The same is true for Best Of My Love and Peaceful Easy Feeling. The truth is I wouldn't know so I would guess you are right.
__________________
Freypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #50
Scarlet Sun
Border Rebel
 
Scarlet Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: where we have brought our children
Posts: 529
Default Re: Do You Have a Favorite Ex-Eagle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
But are we talking about the acoustic or electric riffs? At least for Tequila Sunrise & Lyin' Eyes, which Glenn co-wrote, those songs begin with acoustic strumming before the electric guitar kicks in. The same is true for Best Of My Love and Peaceful Easy Feeling. The truth is I wouldn't know so I would guess you are right.
the electric riffs
Scarlet Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.