The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Band Member Discussion Areas > Former Eagles

Former Eagles Pay your dues and travel on with Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2016, 09:13 AM   #81
Funk 50
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,662
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
What are these 'consequences' of which you speak?
Having Bernie, Randy and Don (F) in a separate sub-forum labeled Former Eagles, alongside Glenn, Don, Joe and Tim, who are now also Former Eagles is journalistic-ally problematic. I'd say it was inaccurate.

Just like a news report, any inaccuracy or lack of clarity has the potential to damage the credibility of the website.

It's not about the importance of the individual members. We have the original quartet, the critically acclaimed Hotel California line up, the arguably, most lucrative, post HFO line up and now we have, as Brooke correctly labeled them, the "Final Eagles" (unless Hell Freezes Over a second time ). They are all now, very likely permanent, "Former Eagles".

The Eagles changed line-ups almost every album, I don't think the final Eagles have anymore relevance than any of the other line ups.

Glenn and Don (H) are the permanent members, the other 5 came and went, plus there are a lot of other major contributors who could also claim billing in the story.

At this point, I think it would be picky to distinguish the contributions of Bernie, Randy, Joe, Tim and Don Felder, ignoring the negativity that Felder heightened.

As the first post of a page, I like to at least post a quote from the previous page. On this occasions there are many opinions that were posted as I was struggling to compose this one, that I'm sure you'll find well worth turning the page for.

Last edited by Funk 50; 06-22-2016 at 09:26 AM.
Funk 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #82
Brooke
Moderator
 
Brooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)
Posts: 20,173
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
Having Bernie, Randy and Don (F) in a separate sub-forum labeled Former Eagles, alongside Glenn, Don, Joe and Tim, who are now also Former Eagles is journalistic-ally problematic. I'd say it was inaccurate.

Just like a news report, any inaccuracy or lack of clarity has the potential to damage the credibility of the website.

It's not about the importance of the individual members. We have the original quartet, the critically acclaimed Hotel California line up, the arguably, most lucrative, post HFO line up and now we have, as Brooke correctly labeled them, the "Final Eagles" (unless Hell Freezes Over a second time ). They are all now, very likely permanent, "Former Eagles".

The Eagles changed line-ups almost every album, I don't think the final Eagles have anymore relevance than any of the other line ups.

Glenn and Don (H) are the permanent members, the other 5 came and went, plus there are a lot of other major contributors who could also claim billing in the story.

At this point, I think it would be picky to distinguish the contributions of Bernie, Randy, Joe, Tim and Don Felder, ignoring the negativity that Felder heightened.

As the first post of a page, I like to at least post a quote from the previous page. On this occasions there are many opinions that were posted as I was struggling to compose this one, that I'm sure you'll find well worth turning the page for.
And that is where I disagree with you. They do have more relevance because they just came off of a major tour and had been planning to do more. And it didn't sound like the line up would be changing for that. These final four guys will always be the Eagles for me now. The others came and went and yes, they were an important part, but they weren't there anymore and hadn't been for years. If there were a headline in a newspaper about the Eagles, who would you think of? Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
"They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #83
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border
 
WalshFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 9,720
Default Re: Former Eagles

Those guys might have been in the band the longest, but the bulk of the music that made them who they are today featured most of these other members. Don Felder for sure. These guys wouldn't be anywhere they are today without that music they made with those guys.

To make a comparison, it's like a band touring without most of their other members that left and replacements came in, but their classic stuff featured one or more prior members and so you wouldn't say the band with the replacements were a part of the band and the other members weren't. It's quite frankly silly. You cannot under any circumstance ignore or write over history. And if you do, I find major fault with that. You absolutely have to respect and give the same props to those that came before you to the ones currently carrying the torch.

Their 70s output, what they are known for, featured some of these other members in different periods. Just because LROOE (which doesn't hold up to their 70s stuff IMO and that's why they quit playing most of it on the HOTE tour) featured those 4 doesn't mean that now the other members that helped them make their best music are no longer important or considered a part of the band's history or undeserving of recognition or accolades simply because they left.

When you are riding on the coattails of your earlier music, you can't just ignore the guys who made it who've since left and say they are no longer important or considered "Eagles" in any form. And now, sadly, the former/current/past/present designation is pointless. It'd be like saying the new Lynyrd Skynyrd is Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the other guys are not as important. It's mind boggling to me.

For me, Don Felder will always be an Eagle, and he helped them make some of their best music and that goes for Randy and Bernie too. But I'm used to Don Felder not getting his proper kudos and I can only imagine that Randy and Bernie fans feeling the same at times.

Again, I'm fine with the board layout as it stands. What I'm not so fine with is the looking over of the older musicians who were there for their best music period just because they haven't been in the band. I mean they didn't become well known over LROOE (the last 4), they became known because of the self-titled LP through The Long Run. That's the stuff everyone wants to hear. I know I myself am a hits guy. If I saw a classic rock band and they didn't play their hits and dedicated a chunk of their show to new material I'd be pissed off.

For instance, I just saw Boston in concert. Their guitarist asked the audience if they wanted to hear a new song off of their latest CD, or, an older classic. Everyone wanted to hear their older classic, which ended up being Peace Of Mind. That's why I'm a classic rock fan. Because today's rock n' roll music (even by classic bands) does nothing for me. Of course they want to hear the songs that made them and were platinum sellers. Not this new junk that doesn't even sound like them. Am I a fuddy duddy? Sure. I'll own it proudly. I'm a stick in the mud, but I'm a stick in the mud listening to the music that made those bands and that is way better than their newer material in most people's opinion. Most of these classic bands making new music RARELY gets to be in the same arena as their classic output. End of. It's just the facts.

Anywho, I'm done chasing my own tail here. Obviously there are some who won't see it from my perspective because they are stuck on their own, and no one is going to convince me otherwise so it's the same. After a while you've got to throw up your hands and realize you are going in circles lol. But I feel I had to speak up.
WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:47 PM   #84
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,890
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
There are two separate issues here.

The first is the structure of the board and if you look back to the start of this thread, there was a single board covering Bernie , Randy and Felder and then the sub-boards for each former member were added later. The justification was the amount of traffic and that still holds true with the boards for Glenn, Henley, Joe and Timothy being significantly more active than the other three. At this point, Frey's board is still the most active of all.
Right. While I understand that technically they are all "former Eagles" now, that does not change the lack of traffic for Leadon, Felder, and Meisner which is why they have not each gotten a top-level forum yet.
__________________


Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:52 PM   #85
sodascouts
Administrator
 
sodascouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Where Faulkner collides with Elvis
Posts: 31,890
Default Re: Former Eagles

PS Honestly, I cannot imagine calling Glenn a "former Eagle." It just doesn't feel right.

PPS Sometimes I envy Fleetwood Mac fanboards. Nobody thinks all 16 people who have been members should have their own top-level forums!
__________________


Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #86
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border
 
WalshFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 9,720
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
PS Honestly, I cannot imagine calling Glenn a "former Eagle." It just doesn't feel right.
And I totally agree with that. Which I why I suggest dropping the former/current/past/present/early/later/longest lasting member designation for all of them.
WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #87
Freypower
Stuck on the Border
 
Freypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
Those guys might have been in the band the longest, but the bulk of the music that made them who they are today featured most of these other members. Don Felder for sure. These guys wouldn't be anywhere they are today without that music they made with those guys.

To make a comparison, it's like a band touring without most of their other members that left and replacements came in, but their classic stuff featured one or more prior members and so you wouldn't say the band with the replacements were a part of the band and the other members weren't. It's quite frankly silly. You cannot under any circumstance ignore or write over history. And if you do, I find major fault with that. You absolutely have to respect and give the same props to those that came before you to the ones currently carrying the torch.

Their 70s output, what they are known for, featured some of these other members in different periods. Just because LROOE (which doesn't hold up to their 70s stuff IMO and that's why they quit playing most of it on the HOTE tour) featured those 4 doesn't mean that now the other members that helped them make their best music are no longer important or considered a part of the band's history or undeserving of recognition or accolades simply because they left.

When you are riding on the coattails of your earlier music, you can't just ignore the guys who made it who've since left and say they are no longer important or considered "Eagles" in any form. And now, sadly, the former/current/past/present designation is pointless. It'd be like saying the new Lynyrd Skynyrd is Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the other guys are not as important. It's mind boggling to me.

For me, Don Felder will always be an Eagle, and he helped them make some of their best music and that goes for Randy and Bernie too. But I'm used to Don Felder not getting his proper kudos and I can only imagine that Randy and Bernie fans feeling the same at times.

Again, I'm fine with the board layout as it stands. What I'm not so fine with is the looking over of the older musicians who were there for their best music period just because they haven't been in the band. I mean they didn't become well known over LROOE (the last 4), they became known because of the self-titled LP through The Long Run. That's the stuff everyone wants to hear. I know I myself am a hits guy. If I saw a classic rock band and they didn't play their hits and dedicated a chunk of their show to new material I'd be pissed off.

For instance, I just saw Boston in concert. Their guitarist asked the audience if they wanted to hear a new song off of their latest CD, or, an older classic. Everyone wanted to hear their older classic, which ended up being Peace Of Mind. That's why I'm a classic rock fan. Because today's rock n' roll music (even by classic bands) does nothing for me. Of course they want to hear the songs that made them and were platinum sellers. Not this new junk that doesn't even sound like them. Am I a fuddy duddy? Sure. I'll own it proudly. I'm a stick in the mud, but I'm a stick in the mud listening to the music that made those bands and that is way better than their newer material in most people's opinion. Most of these classic bands making new music RARELY gets to be in the same arena as their classic output. End of. It's just the facts.

Anywho, I'm done chasing my own tail here. Obviously there are some who won't see it from my perspective because they are stuck on their own, and no one is going to convince me otherwise so it's the same. After a while you've got to throw up your hands and realize you are going in circles lol. But I feel I had to speak up.
We are talking about the Border, not the Eagles themselves. The Border does NOT ignore the former members.

The structure was set up to reflect the amount of activity. It had nothing to do with any 'snub' to the former members. They are not being 'overlooked' but the fact is that in terms of musical activity, the only one of them who has released any new material recently is Felder. Meisner would appear to be retired & Leadon doesn't appear to have plans to release new music.

Just to keep saying that it's all about the 70s & current activity should not count seems to me to overstate the case. The Border is about solo careers, not just the Eagles, which is another reason why the final lineup have more prominence. As for your belief that Felder will always be an Eagle, I disagree. He ceased to be an Eagle in 2001.

As for F50's comment about 'accuracy' this is a fan site & I repeat reflects the status of the members at the time the band ceased to exist. Hence I find it accurate.
__________________

Last edited by Freypower; 06-22-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Freypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:35 PM   #88
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border
 
WalshFan88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Illinois
Posts: 9,720
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
We are talking about the Border, not the Eagles themselves. The Border does NOT ignore the former members.

The structure was set up to reflect the amount of activity. It had nothing to do with any 'snub' to the former members. They are not being 'overlooked' but the fact is that in terms of musical activity, the only one of them who has released any new material recently is Felder. Meisner would appear to be retired & Leadon doesn't appear to have plans to release new music.

Just to keep saying that it's all about the 70s & current activity should not count seems to me to overstate the case. The Border is about solo careers, not just the Eagles, which is another reason why the final lineup have more prominence. As for your belief that Felder will always be an Eagle, I disagree. He ceased to be an Eagle in 2001.

As for F50's comment about 'accuracy' this is a fan site & I repeat reflects the status of the members at the time the band ceased to exist. Hence I find it accurate.
I'm not talking about the structure of the site. I don't care about that. I realize those get less web views and therefore it makes sense.

I'll leave the rest for others to discuss. But I did want to clarify I'm totally fine with the site's layout. It was the comments I was commenting on.
WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #89
Eagles7
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 143
Default Re: Former Eagles

Walsh Fan88, I think we have similar viewpoints on the status of all seven Eagles and their contributions. It's kinda like, Can you really say it's Journey when Steve Perry's gone?

I would not be presumptuous enough to tell the site creators and moderators how to set up posts on the site. As long as all links are easily accessible, I don't see any problems with current set up.
Eagles7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:02 AM   #90
Funk 50
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,662
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
And that is where I disagree with you. They do have more relevance because they just came off of a major tour and had been planning to do more. And it didn't sound like the line up would be changing for that. These final four guys will always be the Eagles for me now. The others came and went and yes, they were an important part, but they weren't there anymore and hadn't been for years. If there were a headline in a newspaper about the Eagles, who would you think of? Glenn, Don, Joe, and Timothy.
Bernie Leadon was on the tour. Scott Crago, Steuart Smith and a bunch of others were too. Randy would've been if he was willing and able.

At the end of the last show Glenn gave Bernie a hug and told him "this is not the end" How can you say, Bernie wasn't there anymore?

I don't think of Glenn, Don, Joe and Tim as the Eagles. I see the Eagles as faceless. A band of musicians depending on which track is playing. Some tracks on Long Road Out Of Eden heavily featured Smith and Hollis, I'm sure Joe Walsh is absent on some tracks. I don't know about a newspaper headline.

On a point of pedantry, Bernie and Randy didn't come and go, they were there at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower
this is a fan site & I repeat reflects the status of the members at the time the band ceased to exist.
That's news to me

I understand anybody being unable to call Glenn a "Former Eagle" so soon after his death but the fact is, it's the accurate description.
Funk 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.