The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Band Member Discussion Areas > Former Eagles

Former Eagles Pay your dues and travel on with Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, and Don Felder.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #31
Freypower
Stuck on the Border
 
Freypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
You saw Glenn Frey and Don Henley with Timmy Schmit, Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith. I agree with Thrill. Not sure how old you are, but I attended my first Eagles concert in 1972, and that's when I became a fan, which is why the Eagles will always be the original four to me.
It is interesting that this question of how old someone is comes up again as it did at the start of the Lost Magic thread (in the Randy Meisner forum).

It does not matter in the final analysis how old you are, or how long you have been a fan, or which lineup you prefer. All that matters is; you are a fan. All viewpoints are valid. All perspectives are valid. The opinion of people who prefer the current lineup is as legitimate as the opinion of those who prefer the original lineup. I think it is time that this was made clear.
__________________
Freypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #32
Ive always been a dreamer
Moderator
 
Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cruising down the center of a two-way street in Virginia
Posts: 17,360
Default Re: Former Eagles

Yep - I'm pretty good proof of that point. I was a fan from the very beginning of the band and I don't have a favorite incarnation - I love 'em all. I happen to appreciate the talents of all the guys that were ever part of the band, and believe they all made their own unique contributions. But, as I have said many times before, I also happen to believe the change in musical direction and personnel that they made is very much responsible for the band achieving the legendary status that they did. If they had stuck with country rock and not diversified their sound, we may not even be here on this board talking about them now.
__________________

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016
Ive always been a dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:42 AM   #33
UndertheWire
Stuck on the Border
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,346
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
It is interesting that this question of how old someone is comes up again as it did at the start of the Lost Magic thread (in the Randy Meisner forum).

It does not matter in the final analysis how old you are, or how long you have been a fan, or which lineup you prefer. All that matters is; you are a fan. All viewpoints are valid. All perspectives are valid. The opinion of people who prefer the current lineup is as legitimate as the opinion of those who prefer the original lineup. I think it is time that this was made clear.
Thank you for posting this. We are all allowed to have our own favourite era, line-up, band member, songs.

I returned to the fold after a break of nearly forty years. I may still prefer the original line-up and earlier albums but that's tied in with nostalgia and familiarity. I'm enjoying following through by listening to newer (and older!) material both from the band and the individual members. The occasional flight of fancy into what might have been is interesting but I can't change what happened and I don't think I would want to.
UndertheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
Brooke
Moderator
 
Brooke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)
Posts: 20,173
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
You saw Glenn Frey and Don Henley with Timmy Schmit, Joe Walsh and Steuart Smith. I agree with Thrill. Not sure how old you are, but I attended my first Eagles concert in 1972, and that's when I became a fan, which is why the Eagles will always be the original four to me.
No, I saw the Eagles! I've been a fan of the Eagles since the very beginning (I'm 57 if that matters) and I have loved all the incarnations of the band and could not really pick a favorite. I have never stopped listening to their music, even during their 14 year vacation. I listened to their albums during that time and wished and prayed for them to get back together. And even when someone left the band, be it Bernie, Randy, or Felder, they always managed to replace them with someone I was satisfied with and sounded just as good. Glenn and Don H will always have to be there to be called the Eagles, for me, because their voices are the Eagles voices. Obviously lots of other fans feel the same way. They continue to sell out venues as the Eagles!
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
"They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:46 PM   #35
randymeisnerrocks
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 30 miles East of Memphis, Tennessee
Posts: 114
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
No, I saw the Eagles! I've been a fan of the Eagles since the very beginning (I'm 57 if that matters) and I have loved all the incarnations of the band and could not really pick a favorite. I have never stopped listening to their music, even during their 14 year vacation. I listened to their albums during that time and wished and prayed for them to get back together. And even when someone left the band, be it Bernie, Randy, or Felder, they always managed to replace them with someone I was satisfied with and sounded just as good. Glenn and Don H will always have to be there to be called the Eagles, for me, because their voices are the Eagles voices. Obviously lots of other fans feel the same way. They continue to sell out venues as the Eagles!
Opinions are like elbows, everybody has one. You think Frey and Henley are the Eagles and I say the Eagles are 'the sum of all the parts.'

We will never agree and we don't have to. There is room for everybody. 'Nuff said.
randymeisnerrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:32 PM   #36
UndertheWire
Stuck on the Border
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,346
Default Re: Former Eagles

I have two.

When I saw the Eagles this year (for the first time), I was thrilled to see three of the original four members. That's quite remarkable for forty years on. Even more remarkable was how good they still sound. So I'm going to enjoy it while I can.
UndertheWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #37
Freypower
Stuck on the Border
 
Freypower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sydney
Posts: 24,191
Default Re: Former Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by randymeisnerrocks View Post
Opinions are like elbows, everybody has one. You think Frey and Henley are the Eagles and I say the Eagles are 'the sum of all the parts.'

We will never agree and we don't have to. There is room for everybody. 'Nuff said.
What Brooke actually said was that both Frey & Henley have to be in the band for it to be 'the Eagles'. She did not say Frey & Henley ARE the Eagles.

The current lineup of Frey, Henley, Walsh & Schmit is just as much 'the Eagles' as the original lineup was.

There is no argument that the band is also the sum of all parts. No disrespect AT ALL is meant to the former members.
__________________

Last edited by Freypower; 12-31-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Freypower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #38
VAisForEagleLovers
Stuck on the Border
 
VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ridin' with Lady Luck in Kentucky
Posts: 11,013
Default Re: Former Eagles

I absolutely loved the original four, however I was a Joe Walsh fan before that, so when he joined my favorite group I was a very happy fan. Like others, I love all incarnations of the band, but I'd have to say that my favorite is the current line-up. I guess that's because I always prefer present over past. There will come a time, hopefully in the very distant future, that it will all be in the past, and so I'm enjoying the present while I can. The Eagles are here in the present and they are still freakishly awesome. Some might think they were more awesome in the past, but it doesn't take away from the fact they are still here, still relevant, still selling out arenas, and still have even more casual fans (those who don't live on message boards and Facebook pages) traveling to see them.

I like what JD says during the documentary, that through the Eagles, fans can remember a 70's they experienced or even never had. Our guys have always been very good at recognizing the imaginations of their fans and using it. Past or present, we all have the places we go to in our heads when their music is playing.
__________________
VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.
VAisForEagleLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #39
luna65
Border Desperado
 
luna65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 125
Default Re: Former Eagles

So true; with their ubiquitous presence on the radio, for example, they are literally the soundtrack to the lives of so many people.
__________________
...I could have done so many things, baby
if I could only stop my mind...


Some guys are born to Rimbaud
some guys breathe Baudelaire
some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.
luna65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #40
Eagles7
Border Desperado
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 143
Default Re: Former Eagles

It's interesting that one band, in its many different forms, could mean so many different things to so many.

I have to say my favorite combo is the magic five - Glenn, Don, Randy, Felder, and Joe. That was their most creative period, IMO, and that was the same group before and after the 14 year-long break.

This is just one we can agree to disagree on, cause it's very personal for each one of us. I guess we can all agree that the Eagles are America's greatest legendary band...no matter how it looks. The music has resonated for 45 years...and hopefully continues on forever...even if everyone is now a Former Eagle.
Eagles7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.