The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Off-Topic Discussion Areas > Cheap Talk and Wine

Cheap Talk and Wine Here's talk on the street and chit-chat about off-topic subjects.

Old 06-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Carolyn
Out on the Border

Default Sex, Guys & Videotape...

With the Eagles show in Boston just over a month away, I checked to see if they've changed the line-up of songs -- or who sings the songs -- at their shows -- and it looks like these guys are still doing the same songs, in the same way, night - after night - after night.

Seriously -- don't you actually feel bad for the wives & girlfriends of these guys who don't like to change things up every once in awhile?

Anyhow, I saw a thread in another section about sitting vs. standing at concerts, and I was going to respond there -- but because I have a penchant for meandering into several different topics and crossing forum posting rules of going off-topic by discussing anything about myself -- I thought I'd be safer replying in this "cheap talk & wine" section -- as I think this better suits me.

Anyhow, on the topic of sitting vs. standing -- I really don't care too much what someone does -- unless there happens to be an incredibly hot guy on the stage. But since the Eagles are all old enough to be my father (I'm 29) -- with the exception of Deacon -- I don't see myself having the urge to tell a group of ladies in their 60s to sit the heck down so I can try to capture a special contact with anyone on the stage. Now, in truth, after seeing that certain video I'm sure many ladies in this forum have seen online of Deacon right around the 2:13 mark -- if I wasn't a very happily married & very pregnant lady -- I might be more interested in removing any obstacles.

But, seriously, I kind of love being in an atmosphere where everyone is just doing their own thing -- so long as they're not completely ruining someone else's time. Live & let live is my motto.

I think the only thing that really does get under my skin at concerts is when you get stuck with that annoying person sitting directly behind you. Now, let me give a disclaimer first -- I absolutely love hanging with my mom & my mother-in-law -- they're both really cool chicks -- so I am not an ageist in any way. But, in my experience I have found that if you go to a show that generates a cross-generational population -- and you happen to get seated in front of a group of 2 or more ladies in their 50s or 60s without dates for the evening -- the odds of your concert experience being ruined go up substantially.

Here's what happens. As you're sitting there next to your hubby enjoying the show, you'll get mildly irritated at the number of times you hear these ladies say to each other "Oh, I think he's looking right at us." And the other says, "No, I think he was looking right at you." And the other says, "No-no, I'm certain he was looking at you." In the meantime, we're all sitting 20 rows up in the side arena -- and after a quick scan of the people on the stage, I never see any of them even looking at our side of the arena.

Frankly, even if they put a spotlight on our section, I don't think there's any chance they would see these women 20 rows back. However, my hubby, who always loves a good practical joke, enjoys egging these ladies on and telling them one of the guys is definitely staring at them.

So, I think it's great if these ladies go home with a little more mojo in the firm belief that some guy was flirting with them from the stage -- and I don't think anyone should burst that bubble.

However, it's the next thing that inevitably will occur that makes me want to absolutely scream from torture. And this is when you've been waiting for that one song you really love and just want to cuddle up next to your honey and quietly enjoy. So, let's say for the Eagles, it's "I Can't Tell You Why." You hear the opening chords and you scrunch down in your chair so as to not block the people behind you and you put your head on your hubby's chest -- and then you hear those words come from one of the ladies sitting directly behind you. "Oh, this is my song!"

Now, that's OK -- if they plan to actually enjoy listening to the song. But -- oh, no -- they want to have their own duet with the singer on the stage. And, it's always the same. You hear that nasally, monotone voice start singing softly -- and you know what's coming next. One of her friends will make the official announcement that "You go girl -- we paid good money for our tickets" -- as if the rest of us got the 50 percent off for being hot & young discount -- and that's these ladies declaration to really tell everyone sitting near them that they intend to fully enjoy their concert-going experience -- even if it completely ruins everyone else's. Inevitably, more than one of the ladies join in the singing, they lean more forward in their chairs, and there's no chance at all you will get to actually hear the song you had been hoping to hear performed live.

Do they actually believe there is even one person sitting near them who is thinking "Jackpot! I thought I was going to have to listen to the actual singer who actually recorded my favorite song and is standing right there on the stage singing it right now -- but, lucky me -- I get to hear the Golden Girls version instead!"

Because my hubby loves bands from the 70s, I've come to accept that this is just part of the concert experience I have to tolerate. I've tried every approach to try to thwart this. I've nicely turned around and smiled -- and their response back is either a smile back -- and sometimes the more aggressive friend will say "To heck with her -- we traveled 5 hours to be here."

I've tried getting out of my seat to ask an usher to ask them to stop singing -- and they just shrug their shoulders when they look at the ladies old enough to be their mothers and don't want to touch that problem.

I have found that the only way to possibly have a chance at putting a cease to their horrific singing is to start going overboard with the PDA with my hubby and announcing that the ladies' singing behind us is turning me on.

I know you might think I'm joking -- but if you find yourself in the same predicament -- trust me -- this is the only remedy I have found that has at least a 50 percent chance of working. Of course, you'll then have to listen to their "This is disgusting -- they need to get a room" comments -- but I'll take that over their grandma singing voices any day.

Last edited by Carolyn; 07-06-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
TheWriter
Out on the Border

Default Re: Sex, Guys & Videotape...

Hey Carolyn, I see you pulled yourself away from your home and garden boards.
I can probably ask you this next weekend when I see everyone, but Iím curious whose planning to see the Eagles in Boston? Last we spoke, you and Matt were going to sit it out and give your tix to your parents to go with Mark, Cathleen and David. Are you still planning to go? BTW, what did you think of the pickles?
TheWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #3
Carolyn
Out on the Border

I'll see you next week, so there's no need to have a big back & forth discussion on here. Matt picked up 4 more tix to see the Eagles in case I'm feeling up to going that day. I'll be just a little over 6 weeks away from my due date when that show is here, so we're playing it completely by ear. His mom had mentioned she'd like to see a concert with all of her sons one of these times when she is in town visiting us, so that's why he got the tix.

I love his mom so much, as not even my sister or my own mom had volunteered to be such a sweetheart, as Matt's mom, who said she will go wait in the restroom line for me and then text me when she's close to having a turn and let me just quickly go and take her place in line -- so that might work. If the band keeps the same setlist we might just go for the first half of the show, as I don't think I know any of their songs on the second half of the show, which seem to be more of the Vince Gill concert experience anyhow, except Desperado, which I'd prefer to miss anyhow.

Oh my gosh -- I totally love you for the pickles!!!! They are the best pickles I have ever had in my life! I have to confess that I had a goof-off day with Matt's mom on Friday, and we just laid in bed watching a marathon of almost all the Jaws movies. Did you know the first couple of Jaws movies were filmed on the island just across from our house on the Cape, which made watching them extra fun. But the 2 of us completely devoured the pickles watching the movies -- and now I'm stuck eating the same old supermarket pickles again.

I know you said you got them from a friend who runs a deli in NYC, but you have to give me the hook-up, as I have to order at least a half-dozen more large jars to get me through this last tri-mester. Please don't go out of your way of trying to get another jar on the plane for me -- I can imagine what a pain that must have been! David takes the train to NYC a lot, so I can always have him pick me up some on his next trip, as well.

I didn't have any cravings at all up until a few weeks ago, and suddenly I have to have a huge bowl of the Taste of Home's recipe for a Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup, that I've been making every single night for dinner -- and then I wake-up around 2 AM and I'm craving pickles and Wachusett BBQ chips -- and I'm normally not a pickles or chips girl, either. Ugh, how I wish guys had to deal with all these hormonal things women have to go through...

Anyhow, I'll see you next week.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
MarthaJo56
Out on the Border

Angry Re: Sex, Guys & Videotape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
Now, that's OK -- if they plan to actually enjoy listening to the song. But -- oh, no -- they want to have their own duet with the singer on the stage. And, it's always the same. You hear that nasally, monotone voice start singing softly -- and you know what's coming next. One of her friends will make the official announcement that "You go girl -- we paid good money for our tickets" -- as if the rest of us got the 50 percent off for being hot & young discount -- and that's these ladies declaration to really tell everyone sitting near them that they intend to fully enjoy their concert-going experience -- even if it completely ruins everyone else's. Inevitably, more than one of the ladies join in the singing, they lean more forward in their chairs, and there's no chance at all you will get to actually hear the song you had been hoping to hear performed live.

Do they actually believe there is even one person sitting near them who is thinking "Jackpot! I thought I was going to have to listen to the actual singer who actually recorded my favorite song and is standing right there on the stage singing it right now -- but, lucky me -- I get to hear the Golden Girls version instead!"
I'm a "Golden Girl" myself, but I do feel for you. My best friend, Cheryl, and I went to a Stephen Stills concert a couple of years ago.
There were a couple of people that kept insisting on singing along with Stephen. Most of the time, they had the lyrics wrong. Cheryl finally had enough of it and told them to be quiet & let Stephen sing. Most of the people around us thanked her and we enjoyed the rest of the awesome concert in peace.
MarthaJo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Carolyn
Out on the Border

Hi MarthaJo -- I've really just been stopping by this board to pick up little tidbits of info about this band here and there in anticipation of their show in Boston next week -- so I'm probably not going to be stopping by that much after they play Boston.

I love that quote by Don Henley -- he has a gift I wish I had for narrowing down what would take me 1,000 words to say into one perfect sentence.

For the 20 or so minutes a day I have time to go online, its usually to check out new recipes, or gardening tips for the current season, or share home decorating ideas, or, more recently, to jump into political discussions, as Matt & I are supporting the movement to get a Biden/Joe Kennedy, III ticket for 2020. But most of my attention is given to our growing family and businesses.

Congrats again on your 33rd wedding anniversary. I'm sending good vibes your way that you are soon settled down in your favorite town in California!

My brother-in-law wrote a play that got sidelined last month because the lead actress got the opportunity to be an understudy for a major production already on Broadway, and David didn't want to stand in her way. He was in the middle of re-casting her part, when some guys who had been filming the making of his play for a documentary approached him about just turning it straight into a movie first -- so that's what they're working on now -- and that was ultimately what David's dream was to do with his play.

The guys who were already cast for the play are phenomenal musicians who took to acting without missing a beat -- so they're just in the middle of re-casting the lead actress --and even though the movie is based in L.A., they've decided to start filming a lot of it in Boston, as many of the scenes take place inside a nightclub - and they already have the perfect club here to film those scenes.

David is someone who, for a little while, seemed like he was losing any hope of his dreams coming true -- so we all couldn't be more happy to see everything coming together for him right now -- so don't give up on landing your perfect job in your perfect place.

Stay cool ~ Carolyn

Last edited by Carolyn; 07-11-2018 at 04:15 PM.