The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > Eagles

Eagles Hang out on The Border with the Eagles.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #41
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Default Re: Favorite Versions of Eagles LP songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
I believe it was lap steel and mandolin. But sorry to derail
No worries.
YoungEaglesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:25 PM   #42
thelastresort
Border Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
Well I think for someone like Felder who is such a master on guitar, learning other stringed insturments is a lot easier. He gets the concepts behind it and the way they are played is almost exactly the same as the guitar. So it would just be a matter of learning the differences of some chord shapes and learning what frets play what notes etc.
Possibly, but don't forget you also get incredibly proficient guitarists like Joe, who I believe struggles with some smaller stringed instruments! I suppose I meant it more from the angle that it was a forced learning process for Felder - I can't imagine he was a free-flowing on it as he was with his guitar, more that he just knew what to do.

Now that someone has mentioned it, I do recall Felder saying in his autobiography that he learnt mandolin on the quick to secure one of his pre-Eagles gigs.
thelastresort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:04 PM   #43
YoungEaglesFan
Border Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
Possibly, but don't forget you also get incredibly proficient guitarists like Joe, who I believe struggles with some smaller stringed instruments! I suppose I meant it more from the angle that it was a forced learning process for Felder - I can't imagine he was a free-flowing on it as he was with his guitar, more that he just knew what to do.

Now that someone has mentioned it, I do recall Felder saying in his autobiography that he learnt mandolin on the quick to secure one of his pre-Eagles gigs.
Oh totally, he wouldn’t be free flowing and wouldn’t really be great free style for a while. But I’m sure he could pick up parts on it pretty fast.
YoungEaglesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #44
cosec3791
Border Desperado

Interesting points all! But however, I'll admit, I'm kinda bummed that it went SO off topic. Hopefully at least a few more will post their favorites before this thread becomes absolutely dead.