Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ann Wilson's tribute to Glenn

Default Ann Wilson's tribute to Glenn

I read that Ann Wilson (of Heart) is releasing an album covering songs by artists who died in the past few years. She is doing Life in the Fast Lane to honor Glenn. It's a nice gesture, but why Life in the Fast Lane? He co-wrote it, but he didn't sing it, and it's not a song that is really associated with him (imo). Maybe she thought it was better suited to her voice than Glenn's songs, who knows, and it is nice that she included Glenn, but that's not at all a song I would pick to honor him.

Default Re: Ann Wilson's tribute to Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I read that Ann Wilson (of Heart) is releasing an album covering songs by artists who died in the past few years. She is doing Life in the Fast Lane to honor Glenn. It's a nice gesture, but why Life in the Fast Lane? He co-wrote it, but he didn't sing it, and it's not a song that is really associated with him (imo). Maybe she thought it was better suited to her voice than Glenn's songs, who knows, and it is nice that she included Glenn, but that's not at all a song I would pick to honor him.
    Hi Groupie, wow that is really interesting news. I am curious what other artists she is honoring and what songs of theirs she is choosing.

I completely agree with you about Life in the Fast Lane. Disappointing -- hope she is open to reconsidering but then again maybe she is thinking of the song in terms of it's popularity and association with the iconic band he co founded? Still, if it's about honoring Glenn why not a song that he sang like New Kid in Town or PEF? Seems that would be more appropriate. IMHO.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-18-2018 at 04:04 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

If she was thinking a more rock-oriented song considering her voice, I'd think "Heartache Tonight" or maybe "James Dean." If she wanted a Glenn solo song, she's more than capable of doing justice to "Smuggler's Blues" or "I Found Somebody."

"Fast Lane" is a puzzling choice, for sure. I have no doubt she'll knock it out of the park, but it's not the song I'd have chosen. Maybe she's always loved it and really wanted to do it. I don't know. I'd like to ask her!

Ann Wilson is a rocker who sings material with an edge. I can understand her choosing LITFL b/c that comes closer to her style of music. While it does seem HT, JD and AG would make more sense b/c those are Glenn leads, they are very different type of rock songs than “Barracuda” or “Magic Man.” I guess I can see her belting out AG though.

LITFL does have something of an association with Glenn b/c he came up with the title/main line and many know the story behind it.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Ann Wilson is a rocker who sings material with an edge. I can understand her choosing LITFL b/c that comes closer to her style of music. While it does seem HT, JD and AG would make more sense b/c those are Glenn leads, they are very different type of rock songs than “Barracuda” or “Magic Man.” I guess I can see her belting out AG though.

LITFL does have something of an association with Glenn b/c he came up with the title/main line and many know the story behind it.
    He did sing it, although not many people know he did. He did a very good job on it.

People forget the brilliant clavinet work he did on the song, akin to Stevie Wonder's Superstition & Led Zeppelin's Trampled Underfoot. I don't know if he ever played the keyboard part live but it's an essential part of the song.

Kudos to Ann for doing it. The more tributes to him the better, even if he didn't sing the original recording.

Ann Wilson did a superb job on Stairway To Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors. I do believe she is more than capable of performing a ballad like New Kid in Town or LE in her own distinct way. Sure would love to hear her try!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    Ann Wilson did a superb job on Stairway To Heaven at the Kennedy Center Honors. I do believe she is more than capable of performing a ballad like New Kid in Town or LE in her own distinct way. Sure would love to hear her try!
    Not Lyin' Eyes. I don't think she'd be right for that song at all. Anyway it's been decided so that's it.

I agree with FP about Lyin eyes but I would be intrigued to hear her sing new kid in town. I think she could pull that off well

Yeah, what was I thinking about LE ... Brain Dust lol

I love Ann's version of She Talks To Angels.

She is just an amazing very emotive beautiful singer.

I can see her doing any song she puts her mind to and yes, since it appears the choice has already been made I will look forward to LITFL and be happy for Glenn.

I would much rather her sing a Glenn song if she's going to pay tribute to him. Still, nice gesture. I love Heart.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."