Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Meisner in the Press

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Randy Meisner in the Press

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Could they mean ethnically Jewish?
    There is no such thing. Judaism is a religion, not a race. It is also passed down throught the mother's line only.

People seem to have looked at his obviously German surname & made an assumption that he's Jewish.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    There is no such thing. Judaism is a religion, not a race. It is also passed down throught the mother's line only.

People seem to have looked at his obviously German surname & made an assumption that he's Jewish.
    From my research it seems that being Jewish could mean a ethnicity or a religion but Judaism is the religion.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    From my research it seems that being Jewish could mean a ethnicity or a religion but Judaism is the religion.

http://www.jewfaq.org/judaism.htm

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

Ancestry . com actually does consider Jewish an ethnic group now that are either from various European, Middle East, or Russian regions. My Mom just did the DNA kit and waiting her results but if you look at their site it is listed as ethic groups in people's ancestry. It's listed under the link for "See All Regions".

https://www.ancestry.com/dna/
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I know that Randy's ancestry is Volga German, which is considered an ethnicity. His ancestors were Germans who settled in Russia for a time (don't know how long) before emigrating to Colorado at first, then settling in Nebraska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volga_Germans

Randy’s family was in Russia for about 100 years before migrating to the States. They were Lutheran. A wonderful family history was compiled by an incredibly devoted and knowledgeable fan with the username of Tenor Key on another music forum. I will find the proper link if anyone is interested.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you! I had read that post by Tenor Key when I was a new fan, but missed the part about them being Lutheran.

Thanks for all the info, it is new to me. I would like to view the link if you can find it again Delilah.

Hi ETG,

Here’s the link—scroll down to the bottom. The family history starts at post #194.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...569354/page-10

(The only reference to the family’s Lutheran heritage is that one of Randy’s forefathers was a Lutheran who married another Lutheran, so I may have overstated the case somewhat).

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I read that article and a lot of people on the list are not Jewish. Harry C. Jr. is not Jewish. As far as I know, Jewish has always been considered a religion and not an ethnic group. I have two friends who are Jewish. One has a father who is Christian and a mother who is Jewish. She states her religion is Judaism and states her ethnic history is such and such. The other is Jewish and also states her ethnic group is such and such. Both have stated their religion is Judaism. They have never stated it is their ethnic history. I think they(the people who wrote the article) made the assumption based on Randy's last name that he is Jewish.