Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Buckingham

Border Desperado Islander canuck's Avatar

Default Re: Lindsey Buckingham

Lessons from Lindsey

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_P2KO05YZc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCGKFY9NBZY[/ame]

Just posted about him on Facebook the other night. Lindsey is VERY underrated in the guitar playing circles. Even more than a vocalist, I think.

His fingerstyle is unique but his phrasing (musical term) and the fact he is lyrical and leaves spaces in his solos says a lot about the kind of player he is. Much like Mike Campbell.

Listen to "Dreams" or "You Make Loving Fun" or any FM song for that matter. The solos are NOT a bunch of notes right after the other. There are pauses and spaces between lines that add to the rhythm but also don't overpower the songs. And his intros and fills are very lyrical and memorable. I've played Gold Dust Woman live more times than I could count and that little intro gets everyones attention.

Sometimes what you DON'T play is as important as what you do. Lindsey, Mike, and even Joe are great examples of lyrical guitarists who know how to contain themselves and not just be selfish or think of a guitar solo as a way to show off how fast you can play, how much you can play, or just the simple self-indulgent "look at me" schtick. Serve the song, not your ego!

In the end, the rhythm section and melody are king when it comes to instruments.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

So true. He is one of the greatest. His style is recognizable even to someone like me who doesn't know all the terminology. I love how he can take just a couple of notes and turn them into something amazing, like the solo towards the end of "Don't Stop." Of course, his finger-picking style with electric guitars is unusual and gives him a distinctive ability to add extra nuances to his playing. Check out the end of "Gypsy" for a great example of how his guitar sounds almost like a keyboard! LOVE LOVE LOVE Lindsey Buckingham.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    So true. He is one of the greatest. His style is recognizable even to someone like me who doesn't know all the terminology. I love how he can take just a couple of notes and turn them into something amazing, like the solo towards the end of "Don't Stop." Of course, his finger-picking style with electric guitars is unusual and gives him a distinctive ability to add extra nuances to his playing. Check out the end of "Gypsy" for a great example of how his guitar sounds almost like a keyboard! LOVE LOVE LOVE Lindsey Buckingham.
    Don't Stop is another great example. I seriously can't think of any Mac song where he overplays. It's all so finely crafted and it makes the song better rather than going off on tangents.

I like playing lead guitar - a lot. But rhythm guitar is my home and where I feel most comfortable and what I enjoy. It holds the fort down so to speak.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

I don't think Lindsey owns a guitar pick; he does all of that amazing stuff with fingerstyle playing - like Mark Knopfler, another phenomenal guitarist. I really like and respect that style - it's so expressive. I'm strictly rhythm; I try to play as much as I can without picks. I do a lot of James Taylor/Gordon Lightfoot style fingerpicking tunes, and strum a lot of songs with my fingers. But for really fast strums I fall back on this hybrid thumbpick/flatpick rig I fashioned. You take a standard National or Fred Kelly thumbpick, cut off the blade, and velcro a very light gauge (.38 mm) Dunlop nylon pick to the thumbpick.

If I was 1/10th as good as Lindsey Buckingham, I wouldn't need it!

"You can check out any time you like,
    But you can never leave!"

Lindsey is an amazing guitarist. I love his playing. I think he's underrated sometimes. He's got an amazing voice too. When I first heard of Fleetwood Mac, I thought Lindsey was a woman. He had an interesting voice. Of course it got a little deeper when he got older, but its still the same.

I was watching the video with Lindsey, and to think about it now. Landslide is just the same note played over and over again until he inverts in the chorus. I just notice that. LOL I was playing Best Of My Love on guitar app and I notice you're just repeating a few notes over and over again just like Landslide and you just a few times during the song.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by rick endres View Post
    I don't think Lindsey owns a guitar pick; he does all of that amazing stuff with fingerstyle playing - like Mark Knopfler, another phenomenal guitarist. I really like and respect that style - it's so expressive. I'm strictly rhythm; I try to play as much as I can without picks. I do a lot of James Taylor/Gordon Lightfoot style fingerpicking tunes, and strum a lot of songs with my fingers. But for really fast strums I fall back on this hybrid thumbpick/flatpick rig I fashioned. You take a standard National or Fred Kelly thumbpick, cut off the blade, and velcro a very light gauge (.38 mm) Dunlop nylon pick to the thumbpick.

If I was 1/10th as good as Lindsey Buckingham, I wouldn't need it!
    Thank you. I nearly mentioned MK, but I thought I should leave it.

I am a particular fan of Lindsey's playing in Never Going Back Again. As for Go Your Own Way it leaves me open mouthed every time I hear it.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I thought that I'd say that I'm a fan of Lindsey's solo work(didn't know this thread existed until I found the Stevie one, so I figuredthat there must be a Lindsey one). I absolutely love Out of the Cradle and Seeds We Sow. I like Gift of Screws. Law and Order and Go Insane haven't aged all that well. I didn't really enjoy Under the Skin a whole lot. It's too mellow and acoustic for me, though I admit it's been awhile since I listened to it. I have both Law and Order and Go Insane on vinyl and Out of the Cradle and Seeds We Sow on cd. I'll never forget my mom buying me Seeds We Sow as an early birthday present the day it came out in 2011. (Nice "sweet 16" gift, imo )

My top 10 Lindsey solo songs:
    1. Street of Dreams (I can personally relate to this song)
    2. Soul Drifter
    3. End of Time
    4. In Our Own Time
    5. Holiday Road
    6. Go Insane (like it better as an acoustic song)
    7.Don't Look Down
    8. Flying Down Juniper (iirc this is the song where you can hear a young Will(Lindsey's son) say "Dinner, Daddy")
    9. Seeds We Sow
    10. Rock Away Blind/ Countdown (tie)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

You have great taste, Kim!

PS I've lost about 30 pounds since that photo in the OP was taken, not that anyone cares - but it makes me cringe a bit to see it!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    You have great taste, Kim!

PS I've lost about 30 pounds since that photo in the OP was taken, not that anyone cares - but it makes me cringe a bit to see it!
    Thanks Soda . I'm the kind of fan who buys the music and can only dream about seeing them live. I've enjoyed reading about your concert experiences. Congrats on the weight loss!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time