Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default 2014 Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame

There seems to be a good amount of interest in the upcoming RnR HoF inductions, with Linda, etc... being in the class, so I thought a thread for 2014 might be good - let me know if this new thread isn't proper...

Here is an interesting article about Kiss's induction. There are similarities to the Eagles as far as the evolution of the band's membership and which band members will appear at the ceremony, with a big difference being the issue of "makeup!" I will wait to see how the ceremony actually plays out, as opposed to what this original band member says in the article as far as who appears and how, to make comparisons to how the Eagles handled it. From what I've read, it sounds like the Eagles set a precedent for including all current and former band members. Kiss's makeup issue complicates their show. We'll see! http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ace-f...of-fame-rules/

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: 2014 Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame

As a huge KISS fan I must say that the current lineup looks MUCH better at soundchecks. Part of it has to do with the fact that Ace's makeup simply doesn't work on Tommy's face. Part of it has to do with the fact that they aren't getting any younger.

If the original guys played withOUT makeup, I would LOVE to see that. We know that Peter isn't a very good drummer anymore, and Ace is often very sloppy live anyway. And playing with all that gear on - and walking around in those boots - doesn't help. So if they play together and are sloppy, and wear makeup that doesn't look good on old men, it could be disastrous. Also, Paul's voice is pretty much gone. I'd say that Gene is the only one of the original guys, who could still cut it anytime as a singer and a player.

If they did a soundcheck version of the original lineup, I would be in heaven.
    Last edited by chaim; 12-23-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Gene is interesting in that he can sing, but in his career he's chosen to be a vocalist, which might have actually saved his voice, TBH. Paul, as more of a pure singer, has suffered the ravages which many singers do over time (losing a register or two past age forty).

If Yes had been inducted that would have been a truly interesting scenario in regards to who would show up; some of the major prog bands have gone through several lineup changes which preclude straightforward decisions of that nature.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by luna65 View Post
    Gene is interesting in that he can sing, but in his career he's chosen to be a vocalist, which might have actually saved his voice, TBH. Paul, as more of a pure singer, has suffered the ravages which many singers do over time (losing a register or two past age forty).

If Yes had been inducted that would have been a truly interesting scenario in regards to who would show up; some of the major prog bands have gone through several lineup changes which preclude straightforward decisions of that nature.
    If it was just about music, YES would've probably been number one for me out of that bunch. KISS are great harmony singers, but YES are fantastic harmony singers. YES has released so much beautiful music. People who don't know say that YES is all about virtuoso playing. YES has never been about that. It's so much more. It's a spiritual experience at best.

Having said that, the word "fame" is more associated with KISS than it is with YES, so I understand this. But anyway, I don't mind as I love both bands to death.

Stuck on the Border

KISS looks so much cooler at soundchecks, especially with Gene fooling around all the time. He's a hilarious guy, and actually very sweet in many ways.

http://cdn.kissonline.com/non_secure...soundcheck.JPG

http://media.metalhammer.co.uk/wp-co...soundcheck.jpg

http://cdn.kissonline.com/non_secure...oundcheck1.JPG

http://cdn.kissonline.com/non_secure...1_chumash3.JPG

(For some reason those two pics like to go sideways...)

A recent pic of Ace and Peter:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7DqD8qCkml...dsfdsf2432.JPG

I know it could never happen, but I wish the original guys could perform without makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    If it was just about music, YES would've probably been number one for me out of that bunch. KISS are great harmony singers, but YES are fantastic harmony singers. YES has released so much beautiful music. People who don't know say that YES is all about virtuoso playing. YES has never been about that. It's so much more. It's a spiritual experience at best.
    Preaching to the choir here! I've been a Yes fan for several decades. I was extremely disappointed that they were passed over, but not surprised.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Well...just my $0.02...KISS edition...

I think My Other Favorite Band should skip the makeup, just for the evening. It sounds like they are trying to work out some way to compromise and get Ace & Peter on the same stage with Tommy & Eric S....and I think "no makeup" would be the way to go. Besides, Bruce Kulick never wore the makeup (80s incarnation), so he would reeeeeeeally look out of place...

And...I wonder if anyone from the band has contacted Vinnie Vincent yet

Stuck on the Border

Yusuf; a great moment for me as a fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3o3TUE0Fc

I haven't been able to find Garfunkel's induction speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Yusuf; a great moment for me as a fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3o3TUE0Fc

I haven't been able to find Garfunkel's induction speech.
    I'm a fan too, and got a kick out of him being inducted. I revived his thread and put some thoughts there as well.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Garfunkel's speech focused on Cat's depth and strong principles, although he did mention at the beginning that all the girls he knew liked Cat because of those good looks combined with a sexy bass voice!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten