Page 13 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Border Desperado

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

I'm don't agree that Deacon opened himself up to criticism from those who think "this" is wrong. I agree that he is subject to the same criticism as anyone else who sings publicly in large venues or just for their friends or neighbors. Criticism and praise should be expressed on the basis of abundance or lack of talent. My opinion is that to make negative or snarky or critical comments against someone just because you don't like or agree with their career decisions is baseless and kind of shallow whether you're talking about Deacon Frey or anyone else.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EagleInKansas View Post
    I'm going to leave this here just so we can all read it and marvel without it being surrounded by equally uninsightful comments.

Go ahead then, WalshFan, criticize Deacon. Have at it. What a fan you are. Better than me, that's for sure. You'll criticize Deacon Frey, like it or not. So brave. Take the shots. Not going to participate or even attempt to enjoy his contributions, but you'll be the first to line up when it's time to attack. What a fun existence! I wish I could learn to hate something that I've always loved, but dammit, I can't come up with the great things to say like "Like it or not." Tell us more, WalshFan. We're all so lucky to hear the thoughts of a guy willing to take shots at a 24-year-old with the gall to sing Already Gone. IN PUBLIC!!!!!
    Relax. Austin hasn't hasn't been rude about Deacon and he has every right right to say he wished Deacon had his own career.

Banned

Again, not what he said. He said something much, much dumber.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Philh View Post
    New interview with Don about the Eagles’ future and the HC re-release

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...future-w511253
    "They'll be pissed at me for saying this [laughs], but that wasn't them just sitting down and spontaneously playing it in one take."

Stuck on the Border

I agree, there would be nothing wrong with that, if that is what was said. Except that it wasn't. Dang. Instead, it was said that "it looks bad" that Deacon is riding Glenn's coattails. Or whatever the verbage was. Keep me posted, however, on which strangers it is acceptable to make personal attacks against. Now that we know it's okay to level them against Deacon, I assumed posters were fair game, as well. But unlike Austin, who quickly backtracked, I'll stand by my thoughts and stand up for Deacon. Whether you like it or not.
    EIK - Seriously - my God ! Austin has a right to his OPINION. You do not have to like it but there is no need to get so bent out of shape and nasty. And, whether anyone likes it or not, Deacon is now a public figure and will be subject to criticism just like any other public figure. I am sure Deacon is well aware of this - he seems like a very bright kid. He has spent his entire life watching his father deal with both the good and bad of the music business. I would guess he was made well aware of all of this prior to his decision to join the band. Why are you taking this so personal ? I'm sure Deacon can take care of himself.

Stuck on the Border

Again, not what he said. He said something much, much dumber.
    There was also an "IMO" there. And I don't get why "it looks bad" is such a horrible thing to say anyway. And we are free to disagree with it.

Stuck on the Border

1. I wish this thread could be left for those of us who object to the continuation of the 'band'. Those who support it have many other threads in which to express their supposed support, without attacking those who do not.

2. I support everything Austin & others have said about Deacon Frey. He appears to be a personable, talented young man, but now that he has chosen this path, he is no more immune from criticism than the others.

3. Many here have insisted that Glenn Frey must somehow have OK'd the decision to continue. I draw their attention to Don Henley's comments in the Rolling Stone interview which I now quote:

It's extraordinary what that young man has done. I saw him sing "Peaceful Easy Feeling" at his father's memorial service. As difficult as that might have been, he was so brave and composed. I'm sure, on the inside, he was churning. After a few months went by, I thought, "Why not see if he would like to be in the band?"

And:
    Did you ever question whether it was right to continue without Glenn?
    Yes, I did. The only way it felt justified to me was to have family blood in the band.

Oh, and...on Deacon's future:

I've told him that he doesn't need to feel obligated to do this indefinitely, that he doesn't have to stand in his father's shadow. If he wants to start his own band and write his own music, he should do that. He can do this as long as we all agree that we want to do it. He may want to carve out his own future, and that's just fine.

No doubt I will STILL be told that it's what Glenn wanted. No doubt I will be told a lot of things.

I agree, there would be nothing wrong with that, if that is what was said. Except that it wasn't. Dang. Instead, it was said that "it looks bad" that Deacon is riding Glenn's coattails. Or whatever the verbage was. Keep me posted, however, on which strangers it is acceptable to make personal attacks against. Now that we know it's okay to level them against Deacon, I assumed posters were fair game, as well. But unlike Austin, who quickly backtracked, I'll stand by my thoughts and stand up for Deacon. Whether you like it or not.
    EIK, I have never backtracked on any of my beliefs regarding the new band or Deacon.

NKIT is right, you were being nasty towards me.

And I'm pretty sure if you read the rules of this board, it is NEVER okay to attack posters under ANY circumstances. I'm sure Soda (admin) would agree with that.

Here's some facts. Your first post on this board was in defense of this new lineup in THIS thread, where people are not okay with it. It seems to me you just want to be argumentative and put those of us down against the new band while you build yourself up. You've done that over and over and over. It's getting old.

Let's get something very straight, we aren't likely to see eye to eye on this, ever. So why keep berating me for my feelings and opinions on this. What do you hope to achieve by being rude and condescending to me? Think about that for a bit. If you want to change my mind, it likely won't happen, and if it would you are going about it all wrong. You are not doing yourself or your viewpoint any favors here.

Again, I don't really care one way or another how you feel about me, or if you say that stuff you did about me. I just worry that you are either looking for an argument or are getting too worked up about my opinions on this. That's all.

PS: Deacon is now an adult, and he can fend for himself without your help.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I for one am not at all worried about Deacon and don't feel the need to stick up for him. My comment was meant as an observation about Borderers who post, repeatedly, what they think Deacon should be doing instead of what he is currently doing. He's been with the Eagles for a hot minute, but people say that he should be doing this, or doing that, or doing whatever. He's doing the Eagles and you don't like it - that's fine. To take it a step further and suggest what he should be doing instead is absurd. It's like when people say the guys should just retire already, they've made enough money - this is horrid for so many reasons. You don't get to tell people what to do.

I'm pleased for the dissenters to have their own thread to complain about band activities and won't argue about that. I just marvel at people who think they know what is best for others.

IMHO Deacon Frey is a big reason if not the sole reason the band reversed their earlier position that without Glenn Frey they could not/would not continue. He is the emotional connection to an iconic band and the huge void left by the passing of his beloved dad. Vince Gill fullfills a different purpose and/or need.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016