Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the first CD you ever bought?

And here is our own DonFan with Davy Jones!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

What a great photo DF! Thank you for sharing! What a great moment for you.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

That is a wonderful picture, DF. Thanks for sharing. Davy still looks pretty good there.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Aw, thanks guys.

Davy was really cute ---even though I was about four inches taller than him. Have any of you listened to the very beginning of Daydream Believer, where he talks and says, "What number is this, Jim?" and they say, "7-A," and he says, "Don't get excited man--just cause I'm short, I know."
    Anyway, I loved talking to him in person that night, and listening to his charming British accent.

I certainly have! Daydream Believer was my favorite song. I also love Sometime in the Morning, Valleri, A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You, Papa Gene's Blues, Saturday's Child, Sweet Young Thing, The Kind of Girl I Could Love, Words, Listen to the Band... the list goes on and on!

And has anyone else ever figured out all the lyrics to Goin' Down?

Goin' down the river with a saturated liver and I wish I could forgive her but I do believe she meant it when she told me to forget it and I bet she will regret it when they find me in the morning wet and drowned and the word gets 'round....

Goin' down.

Aw, Davy still looks cute! That's a lovely picture of you two, DF, thanks for letting us see it. I had a real crush on Davy in the sixties, too (and liked the name so much ended up marrying one! ) I have seen his autograph at the Hard Rock cafe in Orlando. A bit of trivia - because of his height, his first career was at a racing stable training to be a jockey.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Even if I have no idea who Davy is it's a great picture, DF!

The Monkees were a group from the 60s who had their own TV show. It was sitcom about four guys trying to make it in the music business. There was a big scandal because two of them were actors who could sing rather than musicians who could act, so their instruments were overdubbed. Some musicians weren't too pleased that these guys were having hit songs!

Davy's in the upper left-hand corner in this publicity photo from one of their early episodes - actually one of my favorite episodes, the one with the haunted house:

I'm glad you posted that, Nancy--I was actually searching for an early picture of them myself!

I loved all the Monkees songs you listed, too.
    How about "She Hangs Out": "Heard you taught your sister the Bug-a-Loo...Heard you taught your sister the Shing-A-Ling too...She can teach you a thing or too....You best get down here, on the double, before she gets her pretty little self in trouble, She's so fine...."

My music-loving daughter Rachel & I have often tried to figure out all the words to Goin' Down--that is an amazing song and Mickey does a great job on it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I'm glad you posted that, Nancy--I was actually searching for an early picture of them myself!

I loved all the Monkees songs you listed, too.
    How about "She Hangs Out": "Heard you taught your sister the Bug-a-Loo...Heard you taught your sister the Shing-A-Ling too...She can teach you a thing or too....You best get down here, on the double, before she gets her pretty little self in trouble, She's so fine...."

My music-loving daughter Rachel & I have often tried to figure out all the words to Goin' Down--that is an amazing song and Mickey does a great job on it.
    I never got into She Hangs Out just because I was the goody-two-shoes sister and that song made me feel a bit unappreciated! It's a cute melody, though. It's the same for Cuddly Toy. Cute melody, but I can't help thinking, "What a jerk" when I hear the lyrics.

I agonized over the lyrics to Goin' Down for my Monkee Treasury. I was able to figure out most of them until that part where he's just spitting them out in a frenzy. The lines before "I can't believe why I jumped, I'd like to get my tummy pumped" - never figured out those.

I loved pretty much everything the Monkees did until they got weird during the last season - remember that one with the monster that hypnotizes people? It just was getting ridiculous. And Head... the less said about that movie, the better.