Page 94 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144 ... LastLast

Thread: Fleetwood Mac

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac

I didn't know that either about the Formula 1 racing theme.

I love the origin songs of The Chain too: Christine's Keep Me There and Stevie's The Chain. Both of them are quietly compelling and seem to have a kind of understated desperation.

Me too. I think it's so cool how that song came about... everybody contributing pieces. Lindsey came up with the "Running through the shadows" bit and John came up with the iconic bass line and Mick... well, he got a song credit too, lol.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Yes, it's very unusual for Fleetwood Mac in that all five members get a writing credit. I think that's part of why I tend to think of it as their definitive track. I suppose I could say it's the closest thing they have to a signature song - I don't think FM has any one song that is far more recognisable and played more often than all others the way that, say, Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple is known to people who have no interest in that band (come to think of it, this is probably true for the Eagles with HC in some parts of the world). I've actually tried to explain to other people about the writing credits on FM's albums and I always point out that it's a good rule of thumb to assume that the lead singer wrote the song (e.g. Lindsey wrote Go Your Own Way, Stevie wrote Dreams, Christine wrote You Make Loving Fun). This works pretty well, albeit there are couple of exceptions to this such as Crystal, but IIRC on Tusk every single song was written by the lead vocalist on that track.

Stuck on the Border

I burbled about "The Americans" tv series in the tv thread. The very first episode opened with "Tusk" and then it season 3 they used "The Chain":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMVmQHyQmc

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Yes, it's very unusual for Fleetwood Mac in that all five members get a writing credit. I think that's part of why I tend to think of it as their definitive track. I suppose I could say it's the closest thing they have to a signature song - I don't think FM has any one song that is far more recognisable and played more often than all others the way that, say, Smoke On The Water by Deep Purple is known to people who have no interest in that band (come to think of it, this is probably true for the Eagles with HC in some parts of the world). I've actually tried to explain to other people about the writing credits on FM's albums and I always point out that it's a good rule of thumb to assume that the lead singer wrote the song (e.g. Lindsey wrote Go Your Own Way, Stevie wrote Dreams, Christine wrote You Make Loving Fun). This works pretty well, albeit there are couple of exceptions to this such as Crystal, but IIRC on Tusk every single song was written by the lead vocalist on that track.
    Rhiannon? 'Definitive track' I mean. For me it's Go Your Own Way but I think Rhiannon sums up that era of the band for a lot of people.

Stuck on the Border

When I see "Fleetwood Mac", I think "Albatross". It was by far their most successful single in the UK. I know the Peter Green era sound is quite different but I love it.

I was surprised to hear "Black Magic Woman" on a "Best of" album. I had no idea the Santana version was a cover of a Fleetwodd Mac song, although I probably heard the Fleetwood Mac original first without knowing who it was.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would think of Rhiannon or Go Your Own Way as their definitive song. I know nothing of their years before Stevie and Lindsey.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I would think of Rhiannon or Go Your Own Way as their definitive song. I know nothing of their years before Stevie and Lindsey.
    Ditto. I love "The Chain" but I wouldn't think of it as their definitive or signature song. I don't recall ever hearing it on the radio back then.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    When I see "Fleetwood Mac", I think "Albatross". It was by far their most successful single in the UK. I know the Peter Green era sound is quite different but I love it.

I was surprised to hear "Black Magic Woman" on a "Best of" album. I had no idea the Santana version was a cover of a Fleetwodd Mac song, although I probably heard the Fleetwood Mac original first without knowing who it was.
    I did say 'that era' regarding Rhiannon. I realise that perhaps for most British fans. the Peter Green ere may be the 'real' Fleetwood Mac.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I did say 'that era' regarding Rhiannon. I realise that perhaps for most British fans. the Peter Green ere may be the 'real' Fleetwood Mac.
    That's probably an age-group thing. For those aware of music in the 60s, I'd agree. But for someone too young for that, then a lot of people became fans in the 70s with the success of Fleetwood Mac and Rumours.