Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Vocal harmony conbination variations

One which struck me today whilst listening to it - who sings in harmony with Randy during 'Don't think about me / Never let me cross your mind' on Midnight Flyer? It sounds like Don Henley to me but I'm not 100%...

@TLR: After listening at a higher volume, through the good headphones (LOL), I think you're right. It's Henley. The only other thing I'd think they might have done was to get Randy to sing the high harmony and overdub it with his lead vocals. The Beatles used to do that all the time. But if it's another Eagle, DH would get my vote.

I have a question about "Chug All Night" -- is it Don or Bernie on the right side? When they start singing "no woman ever do what you do, high on a pleasure wheel" it sounds like Don on the right but then who's on the left --Bernie or Randy?

It's funny how sometimes they sound so similar it can be hard to tell their vocals apart.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

@Delilah: Have to go with Henley on this one, too. It's more a case of listening to how he pronounced his words, rather than the actual voice. That's kind of the giveaway, for me. Now, I could be spectacularly wrong -- wouldn't be the first time! -- but based just on how he sings the words, my vote is for Don.

But you're absolutely right -- sometimes they do sound so similar, it's difficult to distinguish the voices. One of the things that made their harmony so beautiful.

Out on the Border

hey all - i'm new here and i've got a question about the song "Already Gone".

I sing with 2 others (we all switch off lead), and we're doing Already Gone. On this song, I'm not singing lead, I'm doing harmony with the other singer. Here's my question: The lead singer and I are at odds about the MELODY line of the chorus - particularly where the key change occurs towards the end. Does anyone know FOR CERTAIN what notes are being sung on the melody?? I think I do, but she's adamant I'm wrong. If you can help me out, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks, all!

Default Re: Vocal harmony combination variations

Hi Indygirl and welcome! There's a live version of Already Gone from Hell Freezes Over where Glenn's microphone is mixed a little hotter and you can hear his melody line much more clearly. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM6ibXV20Dk

My sister (a music major) and I (a music lover and serious Glenn woman) nearly had a knock-down, drag out FIGHT over this very issue! LOL. The sheet music, of course, will settle the question, if you read music. We both do, so I was vindicated in the end. You can't argue with the sheet music. Heh.

According to my ears and the sheet music, you're correct about Glenn's part. The confusion comes in because Henley has the high harmony, and his voice cuts through Glenn's lead vocal. My hubs is a keyboard player and serious musician himself, and his opinion is Henley doubles the lead line, but an octave higher than Glenn, and because of the nature of his voice, you tend to hear him more. Glenn's lead line got mixed down a little too much on the album version. In this live version, though, you can hear Glenn much more clearly because his mic is mixed more prominently.

If you don't have a really good pair of on-ear or over-ear headphones, invest in some. (I found some good ones at Target for about $45.) Some of these questions can be answered by listening through really good headphones. A $200 pair of Beats isn't necessary, but you do need to bump up from the $10 earbuds. I did and I can't believe I had them as long as I did. LOLOL.

So that's my take on the "Already Gone" issue. Obviously, I may be completely off base, but that's what I hear, and what I've seen on the sheet music. Great question! Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    According to my ears and the sheet music, you're correct about Glenn's part. The confusion comes in because Henley has the high harmony, and his voice cuts through Glenn's lead vocal. My hubs is a keyboard player and serious musician himself, and his opinion is Henley doubles the lead line, but an octave higher than Glenn, and because of the nature of his voice, you tend to hear him more. Glenn's lead line got mixed down a little too much on the album version. In this live version, though, you can hear Glenn much more clearly because his mic is mixed more prominently.
    Thanks for the info, Pippinwhite. It's interesting this was brought up b/c I have a similar opinion as your husband regarding "One of These Nights"--on some lines it sounds like Randy is singing a co-lead if not the lead outright.

For instance:
    Oh, someone to be kind to in between the dark and the light
    Oh, coming right behind you, swear I'm gonna find you, one of these nights

Even in the live recordings I've heard, Randy's voice is prominent in these lines.

And welcome to board, indygirl25!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Thanks for the info, Pippinwhite. It's interesting this was brought up b/c I have a similar opinion as your husband regarding "One of These Nights"--on some lines it sounds like Randy is singing a co-lead if not the lead outright.
    You're right. On this one, Randy really slides into a falsetto, above Don's lead line. So in a sense, yeah, he takes over the lead. Kind of like (dare I say it?) Barry Gibb in the Bee Gees. (ducks the tomato missiles). Obviously, a different sound, but the same basic concept. Or, as the hubs says, "in the key of real high." Spoken like the envious baritone he is. LOLOL.

But Randy's line is much more prominent in OOTN. There's no mistaking the line. The production in AG muddies the waters a little.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Thank you for the info, Pip. I think the Bee Gees influenced OOTN; didn't Felder acknowledge that? He did say they were recording at Criteria in Miami at the time, and he got to know and like the Gibbs very much, particularly Barry.

But I digress. Welcome Indygirl!

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you for the info, Pip. I think the Bee Gees influenced OOTN; didn't Felder acknowledge that? He did say they were recording at Criteria in Miami at the time, and he got to know and like the Gibbs very much, particularly Barry.
    I'm sure that's the case. Wouldn't surprise me a bit.