Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe doing Desperado (and Henley not liking it!)

Banned

Default Re: Joe doing Desperado (and Henley not liking it!)

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx
    I found the article Soda posted a few years ago about Don not happy with Joe singing Life In The Fast Lane. I couldn't find anything about Desperado.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,5685304&hl=en
    Thank you very much shunlvswx for reaquainting us with Henley's words. He can go on as much as he likes about all the stuff he contributed to Life in The Fast lane but in my opinion, the lyrics and delivery come third behind Joe's killer guitar riff and Glenn's title and concept.

Joe changes the lyrics andarrangement of Desperado to give his solo performance a more personal relevance. After performing it with the Eagles for many decades, he's quite aware what the official lyrics are.

I'm not keen on Joe's duet with Sam Kinniston. I don't like anything with unneccesary widdly guitar played all over it.

Luckily("that we know of"), Don and Joe are on good terms and I don't think Don don't mind Joe having Life IN The Fast Lane in his set and don't mind Joe singing Desperado. Joe still plays Life in The Fast Lane in his solo show.

Banned

and sang Desperado solo in New Zealand last year;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5t1zV6YegM

lovely

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I hadn't heard Joe's version of Desperado. I didn't mind it. I think he did ok. Kinda funny he had to ask what the next line was, but he covered himself fine.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I'm not keen on Joe's duet with Sam Kinniston. I don't like anything with unneccesary widdly guitar played all over it.
    That's one of the reasons I like it lol. Give it more of an electric bluesy vibe. It's charm for me is in it's imperfections and how it's just them goofing off.

I can't remember where I heard it but I thought I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that Henley was mad he played Desperado on that show. I do think they are fine now.

I think you're right, Austin. I remembered reading that too. I was trying to find that article that said. The only I found was about Life In the Fast Lane.

I took down all of my articles several years ago and I have no idea where I read it now (or heard it - it may have been audio), but yes, Don expressed disapproval that Joe did "Desperado."

And frankly... Joe's version makes me cringe. I hate the (deliberate?) changes he makes to the lyrics, I hate the way he seems to stumble over it, asking for help either as a joke or as a testament to how bad off he was at the time. There's "imperfect" and then there's being so imperfect it's like a half-a$$ed "What the hell, I'll just muddle through, people are gonna applaud anyway" version. There's a better version recorded for Ringo Starr's All-Starr band, but keep in mind that if Don didn't go to Joe's concerts, the Howard Stern version may have been the only version he heard (if he heard it at all - he might just have heard about it). Even the better one doesn't do much for me, though. I don't think his voice is suited to the song.

I've always attributed the low quality of Joe's "Desperado" on Howard Stern to his state at the time. I think he wanted to do a better job, but it was a struggle at that point for him to even get through his own songs. I have a bootleg of an early 90s concert that I've only watched once because Joe is heartbreaking in it - visibly impaired, botching lyrics left and right, stumbling through song intros.... Thank God he cleaned up.

Now, if I were Don, I wouldn't have been happy about it either... but I also would have said to myself "Well, Joe can play what he wants" and kept quiet about it.

I'm glad there are those of you that enjoy it, though. More power to you!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I'm a longtime Doors and Zeppelin fan, it doesn't phase me when someone performs while "visibly impaired" Of course, it's better if they're not.

I tried watching the video. I couldn't finished. It was just hard to watch Joe and then Sam Kenison playing electric guitar on an acoustic guitar like song(He wasn't bad. I didn't know he played guitar. He's good) didn't help. Its not bad. I think its just the electric guitar turned me off. It was just weird.

Now I've heard Joe sing Desperado sober and its not bad. I remembered people talking about Joe singing Take It To The Limit and thought the song wasn't right for him, but I think it was IABAD who said its not the execution or quantity of the performance. It was the thought that counts. But I know these two cases are very different.

Today. Don probably doesn't care what Joe plays in his set. I don't think Joe stopped having LITFL in his setlist. Heck if Don is not happy with other people (or even members) singing songs they weren't part of or sing on, Don F would be getting rid of half his setlist.

I do want to say this. Joe did a good job playing Desperado. I always love seeing him playing the piano or organ.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 06-17-2016 at 07:28 PM.