Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deep Cuts

Default Re: Deep Cuts

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Thanks for mentioning Dancing With The Moonlight Knigt MSB.

Elton John:

First Episode At Hienton
    Texan Love Song
    Dirty Little GIrl
    Tower Of Babel
    Sartorial Eloquence
    Goodbye Marlon Brando
    Whipping Boy
    Look Ma, No Hands
    Love Tower of Babel! Was just playing CFATBDC album yesterday! 😃

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Elton John-wise, "Grimsby," "You're So Static," and "Ticking," all from the 'Caribou' album, are interesting deep tracks.

His fairly obscure version of "Pinball Wizard" is both funny and surreal at the same time. B-sides "Cold Highway" and "Sick City" are also good.

Have 'Captain Fantastic' on LP, and have been meaning to get around to listening to that one for a while.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I won't be doing a revised list just yet, but I should be able to participate more fully in this discussion in a couple of weeks time when my life is less hectic. What I will say now is that I think some absolutely great deep cuts have been mentioned since the thread was restarted.

Quote Originally Posted by WS82Classics View Post
    Neil Young: "Don't Cry No Tears," "Danger Bird," and "Barstool Blues."
    Very glad to see these get a mention! I love the Zuma album, which I find tends to be somewhat forgotten amongst the other classic Neil Young albums (save for the rightly praised Cortez the Killer) even though it offers a very strong set of songs. When I went to see Neil play with Crazy Horse in Liverpool in 2014 he played Don't Cry No Tears and Barstool Blues and I loved both. I see you mentioned the title song from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and Out On The Weekend - these are also favourites of mine.

With Led Zeppelin, this is a bit naughty as it's strictly a B-side not a deep cut but I definitely want to mention Hey Hey, What Can I Do (originally released on the Immigrant Song single), which is a great track. I really like For Your Life from Presence (great riff). From Physical Graffiti, I absolutely love The Wanton Song and I think Bron-Yr-Aur is just beautiful. I also don't think Your Time Is Gonna Come and What Is And What Should Never Be (in both cases, I love the dynamics, especially the latter) get the praise they should.

Of the early Genesis songs mentioned, I like Can-Utility and the Coastliners a lot. I also think Moonlit Knight is great although I don't personally consider it to be a deep cut, as it is effectively the title track of the Selling England by the Pound album. The only real difference between it and Hotel California (the song) is that it wasn't released as a single, both are equally important to their respective records, whereas Can-Utility is a track that most people wouldn't immediately think of when they think of the band, more like say Bitter Creek or King of Hollywood.

I'll revisit some of the other artists I like when I have a bit more time, so watch this space!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    With Led Zeppelin, this is a bit naughty as it's strictly a B-side not a deep cut but I definitely want to mention Hey Hey, What Can I Do (originally released on the Immigrant Song single), which is a great track.
    JCL, it's one of my favorites, too. Hootie & The Blowfish did a good cover of the song, and I listen to it quite frequently. They've also played it in concert from time to time.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I was going to object about calling Elton's cover of Pinball Wizard obscure, but I checked the Billboard reference book of Top 40 songs and much to my surprise it wasn't even top 40. I could have sworn that everything Elton released in the 70s in the U.S. went to the top of the charts.
    Anyway, his version of PB is brilliant.
    Another obscure Elton fave of mine is House of Cards. I believe it was the B-side to Someone Saved My Life Tonight.

Steely Dan - Kind Spirit
    John Lennon - Aisumasen
    Fleetwood Mac - Man of the World
    The Who - 905
    Pink Floyd - Stay
    Paul McCartney & Wings - Backwards Traveller
    Bob Marley - Pimper's Paradise

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    David Bowie: After All, Wild-Eyed Boy From Freecloud, Cygnet Committee, Sweet Thing, Lady Grinning Soul, Win, She'll Drive the Big Car, Always Crashing In The Same Car, Scream Like A Baby...oh there are SO many......
    For Bowie, "The Buddha of Suburbia" could be said to be a deep album. Very few know it, but IMHO it's very good.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    For Bowie, "The Buddha of Suburbia" could be said to be a deep album. Very few know it, but IMHO it's very good.
    I had no idea David Bowie did the soundtrack for that tv series, even though I watched it.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I had no idea David Bowie did the soundtrack for that tv series, even though I watched it.
    The album is mainly a 'regular' album of songs, rather than incidental soundtrack music. Full of excellent, IMHO, songs like "Untitled No. 1"

I'm not sure that many of the songs on the album actually appeared in the television series.

I think I saw it here, but Procol Harum's "Too Much Between Us" is now my favorite song by them.. I listened to that song on repeat for hours..