Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Banned

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

I've got all the Genesis albums apart from Abacab although I may have bought that somewhere, sometime, just to complete my collection and mislaid it.

I bought the Abacab singles. The title track, Man On The Corner and Keep It Dark as I always enjoyed the Genesis b-sides. Plus, a big chunk of Abacab, including favourite Me And Sarah Jane, was on the Three Sides Live double live album that followed it and the live versions of the songs are inevitably better than the studio versions.

I actually heard a Radio session that Phil, Mike and Tony played at the time and two of the songs they played weren't even on the album. Naminanu is the only one I remember.

I quite like the Calling All Stations, non album tracks, particularly the 3 track ep. Anything Now, Sign Your Life Away and Run Out Of Time are every bit as good as the stuff that made the cut.

http://www.genesis-news.com/c-Genesi...CKS--s243.html

Genesis have some wonderful fan-sites too.

Stuck on the Border

Great to read about your Genesis experiences from decades ago, Funk 50, as I'm too young to have experienced that stuff. And it's great when you mention some lesser known song titles.

Stuck on the Border

The forum which links to Genesis News isn't really active. The one I am thinking of joining is this:

http://genesisgts.conforums.com/index.cgi

but I have yet to think of a clever user name. I also ordered a couple of T shirts from the band's official store. 'Stay tuned for tour news' my email says. Yeah, right. And I've been making signatures, as you can see.

Good grief, Toni. Is this you?!! The user name is chaim!

I don't think that Follow You, Follow me is a bad song, but it does absolutely nothing for ME. It's like the Invisible Touch chorus. I don't think it's bad. It's darn catchy. But I find it beyond tolerable.

I have my answer. In a post about Carpet Crawlers you write:

Oh, and the lyrics contain wonderful imagery (even for a Finn) in and out of context.

My worry is that my relative lack of knowledge about the Gabriel era will make it hard for me to fit in.

I had been wondering if Phi ever did any Genesis songs solo. Here is Turn It On Again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ru8IzQawM
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-21-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Stuck on the Border

It's me alright. I very rarely visit that forum, and I haven't made that many posts. But I like the place. Krissy, the moderator, is a huge Banks fan. Krissy & Tony is a bit like you & Glenn.

I don't know who's who on that forum, but I think there are all kinds of Genesis people. Some prefer the earlier years, some prefer the "Phil era" with Steve etc. So your lack of knowledge about the Gabriel era is no excuse for not registering IMO.
    Last edited by chaim; 09-24-2015 at 03:55 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    My worry is that my relative lack of knowledge about the Gabriel era will make it hard for me to fit in.
    The first concert I ever went to was a Genesis gig in 1981-ish. I was unfamiliar with their back catalog. I had bought their Seconds Out Live album the pay day before the concert I'd heard You're Own Special Way, rarely and Follow You, Follow Me a few times, on the radio. Misunderstanding, Turn It On Again and Abacab bit a bit of radio airplay too. I had a mix tape from a friend with Dodo /Lurker on it.

I was aware, down to reading music mags, that some old time Genesis fans weren't keen on the new direction, the bandwere taking and may even boo if they played Whodunnit? or NO Reply At All.

I was looking forward to the show but was a little apprehensive and nervous, attending my first gig.

After the first few, opening tracks, Phil welcomed the audience, thanking every one for coming. He established that a large number, had attended the previous night. Some had attended every show of the tour,so far. Phil, then gave a special welcome to all the audience members who were attending their first Genesis concert. It was wonderful to hear. I've learned that it's something Phil, makes a point of doing at every show. I think I became a Genesis fan at that moment.

They didn't play No Reply At All. Whodunnit? was stunning as Phil performed it, stood on a pedestal, just above Mike... on Drums! The new tracks were fine, Man On The Corner was fantastic, Afterglow and Los Endos were truly moving. By the end of the show, the concert was a triumph. My first concert, I was first up (with everybody else) for the standing ovation. I wouldn't have remembered that it was a seated concert if I hadn't remembered the audience standing as one at the end of Los Endos.

I attended a Genesis concert the following year too. The encore of Turn It On Again, a track that a year earlier, I had witnessed receiving slightly enthusiastic applause, sending the crowd nuts when they launched into Pinball Wizard. All the hostility towards the new music had disappeared.

There are exceptions, of course, but Genesis fans are very supportive. Part of the joy of a Genesis concert is the supportive atmosphere and warmth of the audience. Just listen to the cheer Chester Thompson, a black American, always gets when he's announced to the audience. It was Mike and Tony that gave up on Ray Wilson, the audience didn't, despite his short comings.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

I had been wondering if Phi ever did any Genesis songs solo. Here is Turn It On Again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ru8IzQawM
    [/SIZE]
    There was a TV show when a member of the audience requested he sing Home By The Sea. Keyboard player, Brad Cole, looked it up in a Genesis song book, looked at it for a couple of seconds then tossed it away and started playing it. The rest of the band (guitarist Daryl Steurmur had played it hundreds of times with Genesis) joined in and Phil said I'll have to start singing it now and he did

Phil's always ready to break into song. He sang Afterglow with Tony on piano.At the end of the song he even did the crowd cheering. It really did sound unfinished without it.

The only Genesis track he's recorded is an alternate version of Behind The Lines on his first solo album.

The story is, is that the band were doing a proof listening to the final mix of the entire Duke album before sending the tape reels off to the record manufacturers. To speed the laborious process up, they played the album, speeded up. Phil loved the groove of the speeded up version of Behind The Lines so much, he did his own version of it.

Stuck on the Border

F50, I am so envious of you having seen them. Hubby has seen them but it was in the Trick of the Tail era when Phil had a huge beard.

I actually prefer Phil's version of Behind The Lines to the Genesis version, but Face Value is like a religion with me. As for HBTS - I just found a snippet of it from Storytellers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDab...=RDXDabw0LSl8c

During this show in I Can't Dance he sings the line 'a perfect body and a perfect face' & then says 'that was written about me'. He says the song was a piss take of jeans ads.

So I guess it's Peter who has never performed any Genesis tracks live. Of course he doesn't need to; neither did Phil. Compare with Frey & Henley.

I had the vague impression from looking at the Genesis forum that Whodunnit? is one of their most hated tracks. Not by me it isn't. Neither is No Reply At All which seems to foreshadow Face Value.

Banned

Thanks for the link Freypower, I enjoyed seeing that again. I see that Phil sang No Son Of Mine on that show too.

I Can't Dance and Jesus He Knows Me were fabulous live, performed as a sort of extension to their fabulous MTV videos.

I was privileged to see Genesis live on many occasions since the 1980s through to their 2007 reunion. Truly blessed to see them at a 3,000 seater, at the peak of their success. We had to queue for about 16 hours, outside the venue, in the rain, months in advance of the show, to get tickets. Again, come show time, Phil thanked us for queuing all day in the rain, all those months before. After seeing them at Stadiums, Arenas and Festivals, the connection we got at the Theatre show was awe-inspiring. Even the Ray Wilson shows were much bigger arena shows.

All the Genesis solo tours started in small venues. Phil didn't even tour Face Value as he reckoned he didn't have enough songs to play. Peter Gabriel's first tour included a cover or two and, as an encore, Back In New York City from his Genesis catalogue. He later occasionally performed The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway as an alternative.

I didn't get into Gabriel's solo stuff, until his brilliant Soalbum in the mid 80s. I've seen him live a few times since. I liked his previous hit records but I preferred his later albums much the same as The Eagles.

Genesis were past their peak when I saw them in 2007. Phil's lost the ability to drum since but I'd still love to see them again, given the chance.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    It's me alright. I very rarely visit that forum, and I haven't made that many posts. But I like the place. Krissy, the moderator, is a huge Banks fan. Krissy & Tony is bit like you & Glenn.

I don't know who's who on that forum, but I think there are all kinds of Genesis people. Some prefer the earlier years, some prefer the "Phil era" with Steve etc. So you lack of knowledge about the Gabriel era is no excuse for not registering IMO.
    I didn't know whether to say anything about this but here goes; very quickly. If I do register there she may have some competition. There, the cat is out of the bag. I'm off now.

However, F50, I highly recommend Peter's first four albums, especially 1 which contains Solsbury Hill & 3 which contains Games Without Frontiers & Biko, & also Us, the post So album, which contains Steam & Digging In The Dirt.

Stuck on the Border

I'm aware that I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't care for Solsbury Hill. I still don't understand what makes it so great, but it's great that people like it. My favorites on that fist album are Humdrum and Here Comes The Flood (which Ezrin ruined, as far as Peter's concerned, with production).

The ballads on the second album are great.

On the 3rd album my favorites are Intruder and No Self Control. Again, I don't care for the most popular song, Biko.

I'm sure that I'm the only person on the planet whose favorite song on Us is We Do What We're Told.

Up is a fantastic album. Darkness, My Head Sounds Like That and Signal To Noise, and possible Sky Blue, are the highlights for me. It seems to me that Peter was starting to face his own mortality on this album and to find solace in spirituality, because our bodies won't last. Some of the lyrics seem to say that we won't die when our body dies.