Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Randy Meisner in the Press

Default Re: Randy Meisner in the Press

Yes, it really is! I just love to read new things about our boy Randy!

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

And his name is on the cover of the magazine, which is wonderful to see.

It is great to see! Thanks for the cover shot, NMB.

Thanks for sharing this!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Wow, what a great article. Thanks for the link, NMB! Some of it was familiar but there were some new gems too.

* He and his band in Nebraska had to order a bass guitar from the Sears catalog.

* The Poor played as the house band at that New York club (The Salvation Army?) for 2 weeks. I previously thought they never got a chance to play.

* His voice is on most of the songs on the first Poco album, and his bass parts are too. There have been conflicting accounts about this via Furay and Messina. I've read that George Grantham has said he's sure Randy's voice is still on some of those tracks plus Randy does get some credit on the album.

* He loves "Turn, Turn, Turn"

* He first met Glenn when he gave him a ride home while Glenn was hitchhiking. Previously he said he didn't remember this but I guess it came back to him.

* He had an operation on his throat which made him sing lower. I wonder when this occurred. His voice changed from his 1st solo album to his 2nd, then again in the 90s+. Very interesting.

* He said he could come up with a good melodic hook but lyrics were more difficult for him. I have noticed this as well--his songs have really good melodies but his lyrics are not always as strong. Still love them though!

I agree it's great to see his name on the front cover!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I enjoyed reading that, particularly his descriptions of writing Eagles songs. He's also clearly making the point that he was in favour of the move away from country to rock.

Banned

I wrote “Try And Love Again” for that album. That was the last song I wrote for the band. Joe (Walsh) helped me a little bit with that."
    The multi guitar work during Try And Love Again is a prime example of what Joe added to the Eagles. I think the way the guitars combine is way beyond the guitar work on Eagles previous albums. Any lesser band would surely have put keyboards on it.

Judging by his solo material, particularly Lonesome Cowgirl, Randy was more into country music than any of the other Eagles, at least up until Don's, Cass County. Not even Bernie has released anything as country as Lonesome Cowgirl. It does suit Randy's voice though. I'd say his Bryan Adams cover, Tonight would be his most rocking song. I love the drums in Playin' In The Deep End too.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 12-23-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Stuck on the Border

I feel that Tryin' and Take the Devil are two of the most "rock" songs on the first album.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    Judging by his solo material, particularly Lonesome Cowgirl, Randy was more into country music than any of the other Eagles, at least up until Don's, Cass County. Not even Bernie has released anything as country as Lonesome Cowgirl. It does suit Randy's voice though. I'd say his Bryan Adams cover, Tonight would be his most rocking song. I love the drums in Playin' In The Deep End too.
    He has said that he was trying to cover all bases with his first album; hence the different styles of music. "Jealousy" from the same album as "Tonight" is also pretty rockin'. But probably his most straight-out rocker is "Rough Edges" from Legacy by Poco. His Meisner, Swan & Rich material is country.

Like the article indicated, Randy showed a lot of versatility throughout his career and could sing anything.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

And now for something completely different. A Chicago Tribune article mentions sweet Randy in an article about the origins of the runza, a sandwich popular in Nebraska and surrounding environs. "Americans of Volga German descent include Eagles musician Randy Meisner, born in Scottsbluff, Nebraska." Oh, Randy!

http://www.courant.com/travel/ct-run...223-story.html