Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

This summer will be dedicated somewhat to leisure reading because 2 of my professors ordered me to read over the summer since I'm not taking any classes.
    On the 9 hour flight from Atlanta to the layover in Amsterdam, I read Stephen King's The Green Mile.
    I bought 7 nonfiction books in Scotland. Four of them are about Scotland/UK; I finished the first one yesterday, Scots Who Made America.
    I can't remember all of the titles of the other 6, but subject matters include: Scottish ghosts, the union and possible disunion of the UK, Scottish Protestant Reformation, Alcatraz, Hitler/citizens of Nazi Germany, and the dark side of Hollywood. Before I read those though, I'm reading some local library books, such as bios of Johnny Carson and Carol Burnett, a survivor's account of Pearl Harbor, a book on the history of politics, a book about John Wilkes Booth, and the book I'm currently reading: London 1849: A Victorian Murder Story. It looks at daily life in London for average people during that year.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I just finished a great novel that came out about 10 years ago called "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana DeRosany. It's about an American journalist in Paris investigating what happened during the roundup of the French Jews in 1942 during WWII. Parts of the story are from the POV of Sarah, a little girl who went through all of this. It was very hard to read at times but it was such a great and emotional story.

Now I'm reading Teri Wilson's novels, who I got recommended by a post from another of my favorite authors Emily Giffin, and I'm loving them so far. Two were recently Hallmark Channel films which I've watched now, "The Art of Us" and "Unleashing Mr. Darcy". Some of her books are based off classic novels or films but all set in modern day and with twists. "The Art of Us" is a modern day gender swapped version of "My Fair Lady" (she's the professor and he's the imposter she trains), and "Unleashing Mr. Darcy" is "Pride & Prejudice". Her others I'm reading soon are "Unmasking Juliet" (Romeo & Juliet but I don't think anyone dies LOL), and her new royalty themed series with "Royally Roma" ("Roman Holiday" but the guy is the prince instead), "Royally Romanov" (based on the cartoon movie "Anastasia"), and "Royally Wed" (the film "Royal Wedding" but with a fictional British princess).
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    This summer will be dedicated somewhat to leisure reading because 2 of my professors ordered me to read over the summer since I'm not taking any classes.
    I bought 7 nonfiction books in Scotland. Four of them are about Scotland/UK; I finished the first one yesterday, Scots Who Made America.
    Welcome back, Kim! I'm so glad you got to go to Scotland and had a wonderful time. Your photos are lovely.

I also learned from my time in Scotland that the Scots invented everything [to hear them tell it anyway] I'm kidding! Please don't hurt me, Scottish people!

Congratulations on your 4.0 average too, missy. I knew you'd do well.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Welcome back, Kim! I'm so glad you got to go to Scotland and had a wonderful time. Your photos are lovely.

I also learned from my time in Scotland that the Scots invented everything [to hear them tell it anyway] I'm kidding! Please don't hurt me, Scottish people!

Congratulations on your 4.0 average too, missy. I knew you'd do well.
    Thanks for the welcome back, NMB. I'm glad to be back.
    Scotland is a wonderful country; I'd go back in a heartbeat! Hopefully, that trip is just the start of many more wonderful travels to come. (A week-long trip to Canada should occur in February 2018 ).

Scottish people were, overall, extremely polite and fun to talk to. And yes, they did invent almost everything, .
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Around 15 years ago, I got hooked on police prodedurals. I had a few favourites and I'm just catching up on the latest in two series - Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and Ian Rankin's Rebus. Although one is set in LA and the other in Edinburgh, there are quite a few parallels. Both are good cops who don't always follow the rules (but that's true of almost all fictional cops) and at the start of the series, they were in early middle-age but have now reached an age when they have been retired and are having trouble letting go. Both authors have created stories around a different character in the same environment, with Connelly having Mickey Halley (The Lincoln Lawyer) and Rankin having Malcom Fox, but have ended up merging them with the stories around Bosch and Rebus respectively. Both series have had tv eries based on them (Rebus had two because the first attempt with John Hannah didn't really work).

Does anyone have recommendations for this genre?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Around 15 years ago, I got hooked on police prodedurals. I had a few favourites and I'm just catching up on the latest in two series - Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch and Ian Rankin's Rebus. Although one is set in LA and the other in Edinburgh, there are quite a few parallels. Both are good cops who don't always follow the rules (but that's true of almost all fictional cops) and at the start of the series, they were in early middle-age but have now reached an age when they have been retired and are having trouble letting go. Both authors have created stories around a different character in the same environment, with Connelly having Mickey Halley (The Lincoln Lawyer) and Rankin having Malcom Fox, but have ended up merging them with the stories around Bosch and Rebus respectively. Both series have had tv eries based on them (Rebus had two because the first attempt with John Hannah didn't really work).

Does anyone have recommendations for this genre?
    My husband recommends David Baldacci.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

UTW, I'd recommend James Patterson's Women's Murder Club. The first few and the latest few aren't quite as good as the middle books (I haven't read the 16th book yet.) My favorite remains The 5th Horseman, which was the first "adult" book I ever read.

My history professor paid me to bring back some books he bought in Scotland so that he didn't have to lug them back by himself when returns to the states later this month. The two conditions were that I had to use the money to buy more books with and to read one of his books.
    His generosity helped me buy these 5 books.

Between these and the Scotland books, I'm set for the summer, I do believe.

I could use some recommendations for comic books. The same professor highly recommended that I attempt to find some comic book series that I like since I like crime novels and some science fiction. I have no idea where to start.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

AG - Let me know what you think of all those books. I may check them out. Especially the Graham Nash book and the one on Pres.Kennedy and Dallas and the Secret Societies.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buffyfan145 View Post
    I'm hoping to read the "Mr. Mercedes" trilogy soon, especially since there's going to be a TV show version of it later this year on DirecTV's audience network.
    Oh shoot, you need a satellite dish to see it? That rules me out. Maybe it will be on Netflix eventually, or one of the (non-premium) cable networks.

Graham Nash should probably do an epilogue to his "Wild Tales" autobiography, since so much changed in his life after it came out. He left his wife of 30-some years and fell out with David Crosby, whom he spent much of the book saying how much he loved and treasured their friendship.

Stuck on the Border

NMB - I thought the same thing ! I read an interview with Graham earlier this year where he said his friendship with David Crosby was over. He was tired of his shit and the way he treated people. So on and so forth....