Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too Many Hands guitar solos

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Too Many Hands solos

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Wow - of all the days for me to post on here! I remember the original discussion very well. Great to hear that Don answered your question, and kudos to him for remembering who played which parts on the record after so many years. My inkling was always that it was Glenn playing the first part because the tone of the other guitar licks always reminded me of Don's sound on One Of These Nights. Either way I'm glad it's been confirmed now.
    Yeah, I guess my mistake was that I didn't pay attention to guitar tones. I heard some licks in Don's part that sounded Glennish to me.

Default Re: Too Many Hands solos

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Naturally the threads must be merged.
    Yes, and I finally am doing so! Sorry for the delay!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Too Many Hands guitar solos

Interesting, chaim!

I had a feeling it was Don but one can never be sure.

I personally still believe the fast licks in the James Dean intro are Don, but one of these days I'll ask him. It was either him or Glenn, IMO. That fast rock thing is just not in Bernie's repertoire. Could he do it if asked, I'm sure, but it's not in the vocabulary I've seen him use as a player. He's more of a country guy. I never heard Bernie use very overdriven tones either, other than maybe the rhythm and intro on Witchy Woman when he used a Les Paul Deluxe. To me it sounds straight up west coast blackface/silverface 60s Fender type of sound. Very clean and steel-y. Not much grit on most of his iconic parts to my ears anyway. At California Jam 1974, Felder was absent and those licks I'm talking about weren't played. There is live footage of Felder playing those exact licks during the HC tour. Hmm.