Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iowa Event Ctr, Des Moines, 9/06/14

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Iowa Event Ctr, Des Moines, 9/06/14

Hey all, just a quick update as I need to start the long trip back.

By the time the concert started, I had a horrible headache and no Advil or Aleve! By the time HC started, I had problems with cramps in my feet as well. I guess I was dehydrated, not sure why, I drank all day. I guess I didn't drink the right kind of things.

It didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the concert, though. When those good looking guys come out on stage and produce that incredible music, everything else fades away. It was an amazing show once again. I have no idea how they do that back-to-back. Lots of practice, I guess.

Last night, when Bernie came on stage, Don smiled at him and said, "I won't do the shirt joke tonight." The smile on Don's face was one of his adorable ones.

Whatever may have been going on with colds or whatever seemed a lot better last night, since there wasn't as much coughing or tissues going on.

They all looked great once again, and while I really enjoyed the entire concert, and especially my favorite songs, TITTL seemed to be the song they did best last night. Their voices and the harmonies seemed stronger and louder.

I'll write more either when I get home or tomorrow. Just know that once again it was a great show.

Oh, and it was another great hair night, and especially for Glenn!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: Iowa Event Ctr, Des Moines, 9/06/14

VA, sounds like you absorbed all of their ills so they could give a stellar performance. I KNEW I should have gone (and I cursed myself all evening). Looking forward to your details.

In the meantime, here's the review from the morning paper...

http://dmjuice.com/review-a-history-...th-the-eagles/
    Last edited by cynd1231; 09-07-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    I just need a little downtime.........

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well that review offers an interesting perspective. Thanks for the link.

And thanks for the update, VA. Safe travels and get some rest!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

interesting take on the show and a good read

Had a few errors, but then we're used to that. It would be easier to take if Timothy didn't specifically mention that he was singing a song off HFO, which was slightly past 1979, in fact, he says it was almost 14 years past 1979. Hmm.

I'm finally home from the long trip. It was a nice day for a drive, but I listened to the Steelers game and they worked hard to make it was stressful as possible.

I'm not sure what was going on last night, but someone or something around me last night smelled like bourbon. It was very strong. Driving past the Makers Mark sign nearby made me remember that.

During TIE, I think the second verse, Glenn winked at someone to my right. I didn't see who, but it was a sexy sight to see.

When he was intro'd, Glenn did the now-standard 'joke' about Ted Nugent. (He's got to stop that, after the events of the summer, Nugent has made a joke of himself, and I have to wonder if Glenn hates Detroit that he would want them to take Nugent back). He followed it with a comment he'd made at a previous show I attended, that Detroit also gave us Bob Seger, so it all balances out. Of course I cheered over that.

Joe's hat-camera made an appearance last night, and it seemed to be a hit. There was no sign of it Friday night. He made the 'viral' comment, but said that at some point everyone in the world would see it.

To get from the room with the VIP dinner to the floor seating, we were taken on a 'special' route that put us out to the side of the stage where the stairs are that Don uses at the beginning of the show to get on the stage. It was a different perspective, and I was glad to not have to walk up a lot of stairs just to then walk back down to floor level.
    Last edited by VAisForEagleLovers; 09-07-2014 at 08:43 PM.
    VK

Quote Originally Posted by cynd1231 View Post
    VA, sounds like you absorbed all of their ills so they could give a stellar performance. I KNEW I should have gone (and I cursed myself all evening). Looking forward to your details.

In the meantime, here's the review from the morning paper...

http://dmjuice.com/review-a-history-...th-the-eagles/
    I've been thinking about this and just in case there are people who don't know better looking at this board, I want to clarify a few things! After Witchy Woman, they didn't play a 'medley'. They played three full songs, with pauses and guitar changes between them. Doolin' Dalton, Tequila Sunrise, and Doolin' Dalton/Desperado Reprise. Yes, the audience did get quiet quickly because it's an awesome song, some have never heard it, and no one should want to miss it. In addition, the actual song 'Desperado' was on the album as well. I wouldn't want people to think that the Reprise is only version of Desperado on the album.

Of course, it wasn't Glyn Johns who demanded the band needs to rock a little harder. They left Glyn Johns because he didn't want them to rock a little harder.

In The City wasn't a solo song for Joe! It was on The Long Run! BTW, he again did a fantastic job on it last night. He also out-did himself on LITFL.

Walsh didn't really have a strong post-Eagles career, and all the songs of his and the James Gang they play during the concert were all 'pre' and 'during'. LBG was on 'Live', after all.

The Beach Boys didn't do Heartache Tonight, they did Barbara Ann.
    VK

I think our members do a better job of reviewing the concerts..than the so called reviewers in the papers! thanks

Seriously! In this information age where you can find out what you need to know in a few web searches, it's amazing how many inaccuracies still abound.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I've been thinking about this and just in case there are people who don't know better looking at this board, I want to clarify a few things! After Witchy Woman, they didn't play a 'medley'. They played three full songs, with pauses and guitar changes between them. Doolin' Dalton, Tequila Sunrise, and Doolin' Dalton/Desperado Reprise. Yes, the audience did get quiet quickly because it's an awesome song, some have never heard it, and no one should want to miss it. In addition, the actual song 'Desperado' was on the album as well. I wouldn't want people to think that the Reprise is only version of Desperado on the album.

Of course, it wasn't Glyn Johns who demanded the band needs to rock a little harder. They left Glyn Johns because he didn't want them to rock a little harder.

In The City wasn't a solo song for Joe! It was on The Long Run! BTW, he again did a fantastic job on it last night. He also out-did himself on LITFL.

Walsh didn't really have a strong post-Eagles career, and all the songs of his and the James Gang they play during the concert were all 'pre' and 'during'. LBG was on 'Live', after all.

The Beach Boys didn't do Heartache Tonight, they did Barbara Ann.
    I know Glenn says that they wanted HT to sound like Barbara Ann. The part about Barbara Ann was obviously not checked by the subeditor.

Joe did do a solo version of In The City, however. It was on a film soundtrack called The Warriors before the Eagles recorded it; exactly the same as Guilty Of The Crime was on the Robocop soundtrack before the Eagles recorded it (although Frankie Miller sang lead on the Robocop soundtrack version).

That's correct, but it doesn't get the reviewer off the hook. When you read the review, it is evident that the reviewer had no idea "In the City" was ever recorded by the Eagles.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten