Page 59 of 105 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Timothy in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Timothy only sings lead on two out of twenty songs on LROOE, which isn't enough when you consider what a great singer he is. And why does Timothy have to only sing ballads? That makes him seem a one-trick pony. He should have been allowed to sing more songs and given at least an uptempo song.
    It's nice that we have his solo work to listen to. I agree that it doesn't seem right that he only sings ballads, but as he has said on more than one occasion "I have my place in the band" I always took that to mean that he knew when he joined that he would mostly be singing high harmony and playing bass.I don't think he was under any illusions that it would be more than that, and he's ok with that. It doesn't mean that he doesn't wish he could sing more, but after years of singing lead and writing songs for Poco, he has had far more commercial success and made more money with the Eagles.
    Even if he resented the fact that he doesn't sing more leads, he's not about to rock the boat. Fielder did, and look what happened to him. I think Timothy and Joe both had a rough time after the Eagles stopped in the 80s, and both are grateful to have a steady, well paying gig

I wholy agree with you tjh and I think it's unlikely that he's anything but satisfied with the place he has in the Eagles and I also think it's great that his ego isn't too big for him to be happy with the somewhat limited role he has as an Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    It's nice that we have his solo work to listen to. I agree that it doesn't seem right that he only sings ballads, but as he has said on more than one occasion "I have my place in the band" I always took that to mean that he knew when he joined that he would mostly be singing high harmony and playing bass.I don't think he was under any illusions that it would be more than that, and he's ok with that. It doesn't mean that he doesn't wish he could sing more, but after years of singing lead and writing songs for Poco, he has had far more commercial success and made more money with the Eagles.
    Even if he resented the fact that he doesn't sing more leads, he's not about to rock the boat. Fielder did, and look what happened to him. I think Timothy and Joe both had a rough time after the Eagles stopped in the 80s, and both are grateful to have a steady, well paying gig
    I didn’t mean that Timothy should rock the boat. He’s little more than a sideman in the band, so he obviously can’t rock the boat. Of course, I’m sure he’s happy with the money he makes. What I meant is that it's a shame that Timothy has been underrated and underused by Glenn and Don Henley. He’s such a great singer. After all, “I Can’t Tell You Why” was a hit, and “Love Will Keep Us Alive” was a little hit too. It seems that people love to hear him sing.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

It's pretty crazy when you think about it - Joe sings four songs and Timothy sings two. Admittedly, it is the HISTORY of the Eagles tour, so I understand that TBS wasn't around for much of the most important history, but 3 of Joe's songs aren't even Eagles songs!! Based purely on singing, not showmanship, in what world does Joe Walsh rate twice as many songs as Timothy B. Schmit? it's mind-boggling that Timothy doesn't have more songs to sing. Eagles fans love him. Non-Eagles fans love him. EVERYONE loves him and his VOICE. The fact that he came from Poco and in 37 years they have not managed to collectively come up with one rockin' song for him to sing with the Eagles is just.....ughhhhh.

It is what it is, I'm glad he's in the band and I'm sure Don and Glenn are, too.

Anyway, I vote for Keep on Tryin' or Rose of Cimarron!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    It's pretty crazy when you think about it - Joe sings four songs and Timothy sings two. Admittedly, it is the HISTORY of the Eagles tour, so I understand that TBS wasn't around for much of the most important history, but 3 of Joe's songs aren't even Eagles songs!!
    In Lucca Timothy sung only ONE song. How about that...

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

I don't know that I agree with the statement that Timothy is little more than a side man. He's been a member of the Eagles longer than Randy, Bernie, or even Felder. And I agree with Mary, that everyone, including Glenn, Don, and Joe love him. Has he been under used? Yes, absolutely. He had ICTYW, and LWKUA went to number one. So he has been a successful member of the band. I wish he could sing more, but who knows? Maybe it's by choice. Maybe the cancer had more of an affect on his voice than we know. Singing high is taxing, and maybe his voice wears down easier than it used to. These guys are closing in on 70. Your voice can only hold out for so long. It's kind of amazing that they are still touring and singing so well.

well said tjh

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    I don't know that I agree with the statement that Timothy is little more than a side man. He's been a member of the Eagles longer than Randy, Bernie, or even Felder. And I agree with Mary, that everyone, including Glenn, Don, and Joe love him. Has he been under used? Yes, absolutely. He had ICTYW, and LWKUA went to number one. So he has been a successful member of the band. I wish he could sing more, but who knows? Maybe it's by choice. Maybe the cancer had more of an affect on his voice than we know. Singing high is taxing, and maybe his voice wears down easier than it used to. These guys are closing in on 70. Your voice can only hold out for so long. It's kind of amazing that they are still touring and singing so well.
    Timothy has been in the Eagles for a long time, but he’s still treated as a sideman. He’s not an equal partner in the band and doesn’t have a say in anything.

He has said that he considers himself a singer first and then a bass player. So I assume he would have liked to sing more. Singers like to sing. I guess that no singer aspires to be just a backup singer.

Stuck on the Border

I agree Timothy is underused and that's always been true for most members of the band (even Glenn and Don at times). I guess that's the downside of being in a band. However, that hasn't stopped any of them from having solo projects and I could argue that having less to do within the band may leave more to be used for the solo work. The Eagles is the day job and they can follow their passions in their off-time.

We don't know what the current arrangements are, but clearly Timothy and Joe are more than sidemen and are treated accordingly. They are part of the promotion of the band and if one of them is ill, the show gets cancelled. I'm sure their contracts and remuneration reflect this.

no one ever said the Eagles was a democracy...ask Don Felder...he thought things should be equal...did not work out very well for him...I think Timothy is under used ...yes...but I think his personality is such that he doesn't need to be top dog...on stage or money wise...