Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "On the Border"

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

I like OTB too. So many good songs on this album: AG, Ol' 55, BOML, James Dean, MF. The best move they ever made was deciding to go with Bill S.
    So, Happy belated Birthday to On The Border.

Stuck on the Border

I must admit I have a tiny problem with the fact that there's so much stuff written by others on the album. It's not a problem when I listen to people who didn't/don't write in the first place, like Sinatra, but the Eagles were writers. Hence Pin Ups is the only Bowie album I don't have.

It's not a case of missing quality. It's a "psychological" problem.

Happy 44th Birthday to On The Border. I have to admit. This wasn't my favorite album, but after a while I started to like it. I like all the songs on this album.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

This may be my favorite Eagles album. I personally think that, overall, it's better than "Hotel California." There's not a clunker in the bunch. And there are a couple on HC I don't think work that well. Not for me, anyway. But "James Dean," "Ol' 55," "Good Day in Hell," "BOML", AG and the title track are all such great songs. There's an energy in them that seems a little diluted by the time you get to HC. I just love this record. Listening to it on Spotify now!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    This may be my favorite Eagles album. I personally think that, overall, it's better than "Hotel California." There's not a clunker in the bunch. And there are a couple on HC I don't think work that well. Not for me, anyway. But "James Dean," "Ol' 55," "Good Day in Hell," "BOML", AG and the title track are all such great songs. There's an energy in them that seems a little diluted by the time you get to HC. I just love this record. Listening to it on Spotify now!
    I love On the Border and it's definitely one of my favorite Eagles albums, but I don't know about THE favorite. I like the more melancholy tone of HC too, it fit where they were in their careers and lives at the time.

I like On the Border. I think it's probably the only Eagles album from which I like every song although it didn't produce many standouts.
    For me it's a tight contest between Good Day in Hell and Already Gone for number one spot.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ON THE BORDER!!!

I love this album too, but I love all Eagles albums. It's definitely not my favorite though - I rank it about in the middle of the pack. But it rocks, for sure and I've said before that I consider it to be a very underrated album.

BTW - I think this is an interesting thread. If you haven't ever read through it, I would encourage you to do so if you have the time.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Arrow Re: Celebration of "On the Border"

I have this in my top 3. Probably at 2. Very strong throughout. Great balance of music on it and good balance of contributions. Love OTB, BOML, My Man, is it true, AG, and GDIH all great songs

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love this album, but then, I love all the Eagles albums! I haven't listened to one lately and this inspires me to get it out!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I have very unpopular opinions about this album. Hope you respect it.

So, pretty good album, and solid songs! I personally feel this is why (at least for me and the very few Felder fans here), that he is extremely important. He provided a hard edge for them and their live performances of this tour shows. He really made them rock (and not in a tryhard way). I feel without Felder, it wouldn't be the album it is today.

So now I will give my opinions on the individual songs:

1) Already Gone- Great rocking track! Love the dual guitar solo between Frey and Felder. But I will admit, I only started liking the track after listening to the versions of 1979 Osaka and Chicago.

2) You Never Cry Like a Lover- Good track. Really underrated. Unlike some of the other slower songs, this has a good mix of guitars, piano and softness. Especially on the live versions like 1976 Nagoya, Sydney

3) Midnight Flyer- One of my favorite songs of this album! Love the banjo and slide guitar. My only problem is that Walsh did it better live.

4) My Man- Very meaningful, but too soft and sleep inducing to me.

5) On the Border- Decent track, may have liked it more if there was a live version available.

6) James Dean- One of the few tracks from this album I liked after listening for the first time. Love the guitars and Felder's Les Paul.

7) Ol'55- Too soft for me, sleep inducing. though the Frey and Henley co lead vocal is kind of interesting.

Is It True- Too soft for me yet again, reminded me of a Kpop song absurdly.

9) Good Day in Hell- Amazing song, love Felder's slide! And the lyrics are pretty cool (and sardonic too).

10) Best of My Love- Hated it the first time I listened to it. But it grew on me after some more listens. I personally feel 1979 Osaka enabled me to like it. Also, speaking of live versions, apparently many comments sections seem to lambast Felder for his Pedal steel. Don't know what he is doin' wrong.

Now about the tour. As we know, they were still mostly opening rather than main, but they had way more credibility. I have to say, the bootlegs available are pretty good. The setlists were great! There was a good round up of songs from the album as well as older hits and covers. My favorite bootlegs from this are 1974 Don Kirshner and 1974 Lenox.
    The chemistry... nuff said