Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Default Re: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Yea Train is one of those I don't always listen to. It's just "meh" to me. My favorite 3 were eliminated long ago so oh well.
    Congrats to those who loved Train & won. Thanks for running the poll.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm glad that my favorite song won! No, Thank You is one of my top 5 favorites, though.

Great and fun game everyone. Thank you Dreamer for running it.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I am personally delighted that Train In The Distance won! It's not only my favourite song from the album, but it has become one of my favourite Don solo songs of all. I thought it would do well, probably getting to the last four or so, but I didn't think it would make the final. If you had asked me before the game, I'd have probably suggested That Old Flame as the winner, with the other finalist being Take A Picture Of This.

I've been interested to see how other Borderers have responded to these songs, and in some cases the results but perhaps more importantly the actual opinions were quite a bit different to what I expected. I was surprised to see No, Thank You get to the final - no complaints here, I love it myself, but I didn't think it was quite that popular. Conversely, I thought Praying For Rain (which I must admit is one of my favourites) would do better - I certainly didn't think it would go before The Brand New Tennessee Waltz, a song that I'd have guessed would be eliminated quite early but lasted some way into the game.

Just thought I'd share my personal rankings of the songs on the album. Train is the only 10/10 song on the album, but I don't use that rating lightly and I am usually reluctant to give to songs I am relatively new to, which tells you how much I love it. However, there are several 9/10 songs, including his IMO wonderful cover of Here Come Those Tears Again.

A quick explanation/rundown of what my personal rankings mean:
    10 - Absolutely love it!
    9 - Love it
    8 - Like it a lot
    7 - Like it
    6 - Like it a little
    5 - Okay
    4 - Dislike it a little
    3 - Dislike it
    2 - Hate it
    1 - Loathe it
    0 - Absolutely loathe it!

Bramble Rose - 8
    The Cost of Living - 9
    No, Thank You - 9
    Waiting Tables - 8
    Take A Picture Of This - 9
    Too Far Gone - 7
    That Old Flame - 8
    The Brand New Tennessee Waltz - 6
    Words Can Break Your Heart - 7
    When I Stop Dreaming - 4
    Praying For Rain - 9
    Too Much Pride - 7
    She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune - 5
    Train In The Distance - 10
    A Younger Man - 8
    Where I Am Now - 8

BONUS TRACKS
    It Don't Matter To The Sun - 5
    Here Come Those Tears Again - 9

I don't know how anyone else feels, but to me I feel I can split the album into three sections - it starts off great, I like all of the first seven tracks, and apart from Too Far Gone which I only 'like' I am fond of all of these songs, especially tracks 2, 3 and 5. The middle section of the album I'm sorry to say I don't find as strong, and it includes my two least favourites (When I Stop Dreaming and She Sang Hymns), although most of the others are decent and it does include one of my favourites, Praying For Rain. Then comes my favourite song, and two other strong songs so I think the third and final part of the album is strong.

My top five in order would be:
    1. Train In The Distance
    2. Take A Picture Of This
    3. The Cost Of Living (RIP Merle. So glad Don did this duet while he still could)
    4. No Quarter
    5. Praying For Rain (I love the chorus and lyrics)

Lastly I'd like to thank Dreamer for doing this game, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was especially interesting because I didn't really know what other people would make of the songs which meant it was quite unpredictable (in a good way!) at times.