Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cass County Reviews

Default Re: Cass County Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I've spent some time with CC on CD and on Spotify.

I can say that at first I was very nervous. I'm NOT an old country guy. The steel guitar and the "my dog died, the wife left me, and I'm drinking my brains out" doesn't do much for this rock n' roll junkie. Most of that classic Hank Sr, Haggard, etc stuff puts me to sleep....

BUT....I love the way Don did these songs with himself and several guests. For whatever reason they are more palatable than the original tunes and the way he sings it isn't so damn boring! I realize my words are quite strong for a "classic" fan of country music, but those would be the same people that offend me when they get to bashing some rock stuff or new country, which I unashamedly love. Perhaps I'm a biased Henley fan, perhaps it was the fact that the people who played on this record I've listened to before I loved their style, or perhaps it was just not so melodramatic and "fogey". But regardless, I've enjoyed this album.

Now, I'm not going to break it down song by song but there isn't much I don't like off of this record. Again, I'm as surprised as anyone. I was ready to write "BORING" in a more polite way, to sum it up, but the music and Don's voice were the saving grace for me and made my ears stayed focused throughout.

For me, without a doubt my favorite is That Old Flame with guest Martina McBride. The rockin' power chord "building up" sound and the guitar solo are some much needed "rock edge" to this otherwise traditional country sound of this song...

I prefer the modern country sound, which is more rock n' roll (and now more RnB influenced), and not so much the steel guitar and tear in my beer stuff. I LOVE modern Nashville rockin' guitar, a throwback to the 70s and 80s. I looked at the credits and I recognized several of the players on TOF. Most of them play on the new country stuff, so I knew that was why.

I'm one who buys Florida Georgia Line songs because they've got great guitars on them and some of them are fun (albeit not deep lyrically, but I don't need that as much as some do, who would likely prefer the storytelling of classic/traditional country/western music and not mind what would bore me to death...) I have no problem admitting I like the new stuff, as formulaic as it is. It is miles more palatable for me than LA pop or classic country. For me I enjoyed more of the rock sound than the new RnB sound, but I'm gonna ride that wave. But for me country music that I like can be heard on songs like Jason Aldean's "Hicktown" or Eric Church's "Drink In My Hand". Rock n' roll throwback guitar with some country-esque vocals made for a younger crowd. Not so much the beer/tears thing, more about country life in the 2000's forward with trucks, ATVs, and such.

Everything I've said about me not caring for classic country (other than some standout 90s songs with some edge to them), I've enjoyed this album and it's a really good thing to have a new album from Don... Since his last solo effort, all of the Eagles have put out SOMETHING. Glenn, Joe, even Tim.

That said, I think from an early standpoint I knew it was worth it. Even as someone who initially turned his nose up at the idea. I've got select songs in my playlist on Spotify and the CD is still in my stereo's 5-disc CD player and hasn't left since I got it. I think this is one of those albums that would sound good on vinyl... Mostly I only like old vinyl records as the new stuff usually is digital to begin with but there is a certain sound I hear on the CD that I think would sound good on a LP. Maybe I'll buy it later on.

All in all, I have to give it a very surprising (to me) 2 thumbs up. Even if you are like me and yawn at the thought of someone singing a George Jones classic - give the album a try. Don puts a much needed spin on these songs. I really think it's worth the entry fee, so to speak. And this is coming from someone who never thought it would for himself.

Austin have you heard the steel guitar on CSNY Teach Your Children Well? It isn't a tear in your beer steel it's fabulous.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Austin have you heard the steel guitar on CSNY Teach Your Children Well? It isn't a tear in your beer steel it's fabulous.
    Yeah that's pretty tolerable for me.....Jerry Garcia (of Grateful Dead fame) played that.

But something like the steel on a song by Buck Owens or Merle Haggard would make me yawn.

Playing the album on shuffle on the music player, and about half of it I like right off the bat, while the other half is requiring further review. Currently I've got Hear Come Those Tears Again rolling around in my head and loving it.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I have listened to Cass County a fair bit over the last week and I must say am highly impressed. So far I would put my favourites as being That Old Flame, Where I am Now and Praying for Rain. But I like all of the songs.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Border Rebel

I'm still working on my review, but listening to "No Thank You" yesterday, I wondered if it's about the Eagles. Especially these parts:

Lady Luck's been good to me
    I'm as grateful as can be
    Never thought this crazy ride would ever last
    And though nostalgia is fine, I respectfully decline
    To spend my future living in the past
    I've been carrying my load down this same old rocky road
    Every day I'm getting deeper in a rut
    Workin' overtime, now a dollar's worth a dime
    And everybody wants a bigger cut

The "nostalgia is fine part" kind of echoes what he's said about being a human jukebox. (BTW, I love how he pronounces nostalgia!) And everybody wants a bigger cut certainly applies.

B.S. blaring from the radio, the TV
    Hot wind blowin' off The Hill
    It's a mystery to me we can't agree to disagree
    It's lookin' like we never, ever will

I'm hoping the part above doesn't apply to the Eagles. Of course, he talks about The Hill and earlier in the song about Republicans and Democrats, so it could well be about politics. Maybe the politics of the music business? And then there's this part:

Don't tell me to take it easy
    'Cause I've been there, done that

Interesting choice of words, don't you think?

Banned

Reading those lyrics, I'm kinda glad that Don has already said that he's expecting to play more Eagles shows in future and that it wont be him that splits the band.

I think Stevie Nicks and Phil Collins have said that about their bands in the past before leaving them. They both returned.

I'm not sure if I'd want Don, to insist on an end to the Eagles nostalgia act or not. In theory I would, in practice I'd probably take the Eagles anyway Glenn wants them to be.

This is as far off topic as I'm going to go. I'm liking No Thank You more, every time I hear it. I'd pick it as a possible single, except singles don't really exist any more, do they

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

My guess is there are some Eagles inferences in those lyrics since they are a really big part of Don's past. Whether they are direct or indirect, I don't know, but I highly doubt the 'take it easy' line is coincidental.

In any event - as I said earlier, I really like this song ... it may be my favorite on the album. I especially like the 'And though nostalgia is fine, I respectfully decline to spend my future living in the past' line - very clever.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Out on the Border

The 'Take It Easy' line is definitely not a coincidental Eagles reference because the guitar lick behind the line also references TIE.
    I think this is a fantastic album and one that gets better with each play.

Welcome, Mark!

This makes me wonder if we should have a separate thread talking about lyrics. I love to speculate about such things!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Welcome, Mark!

This makes me wonder if we should have a separate thread talking about lyrics. I love to speculate about such things!
    Thanks!
    That's a good idea, DH always chooses his words with care so a lyric thread would be interesting.