Page 44 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

Yikes, DJ, very freaky!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Anyone read "Gone Girl"...I'd like to see the movie...but I think I want to read the book first...

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    Anyone read "Gone Girl"...I'd like to see the movie...but I think I want to read the book first...
    I've read the book and won't bother with the film. Given the choice, I think I'd see the film first. My sister didn't get on with the book - she loves crime novels, particularly procedurals - whereas I thought it was an ok read but didn't live up to the hype.

Got the Joe Perry book today. Can't wait to read it...one of my biggest heroes.

Border Desperado The Disco Strangler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Got the Joe Perry book today. Can't wait to read it...one of my biggest heroes.
    I tried to download it this weekend, but Kobo wouldn't accept my coupon code. LOL. I guess I'll have to pay full price since I'm a Joe fan. Lemme know what you think of it!

my Jimmy Page book was shipped...can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by The Disco Strangler View Post
    I tried to download it this weekend, but Kobo wouldn't accept my coupon code. LOL. I guess I'll have to pay full price since I'm a Joe fan. Lemme know what you think of it!
    Just finished it...

It was without a doubt the best rock autobio I've read. And I've got probably one of the largest library of them of anyone here.

Compared to Steven Tyler's book - it was about the most humble down to earth life story you could read. And compared to other rock autobio's, it's still extremely humble.

It's more about how he started out as a child and the progression from year to year and a true life story than a juicy tellall or a book that screams egocentric poor pitiful me self-victimization like Steven Tyler's book. It talks A LOT more about the band, creation of the music, and business dealings in the band than it does sex and drugs (although there is parts of that of course). It's much more mature in a way than most books I've read. He doesn't put most of the blame on the other guys (Steven especially), he takes some of the blame as well and while he does inject jabs at Steven or talks about him being hard to work with, they are much more lighthearted yet serious and not so childish. And he isn't making Steven out to be the bad guy all the time.

I have to say it was very well done and made me have that much more respect for Joe. I have to say, his book and Steven's are polar opposites in approach to writing and they way it comes off.

Perhaps Steven's is more of an exciting read for those who love juicy details and excess stories or just plain drama, but for a music lover and someone interested in the creation of Aerosmith's music and the fly on the wall stuff, Joe's book was more my style.

I know this was posted awhile ago, but I'm just catching up a little bit. I think the book is worth the read. I won't spoil any of it for you, but the beginning and middle are stronger than the end. Once it got going, I had a hard time putting it down. I would definitely read the book first.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    I know this was posted awhile ago, but I'm just catching up a little bit. I think the book is worth the read. I won't spoil any of it for you, but the beginning and middle are stronger than the end. Once it got going, I had a hard time putting it down. I would definitely read the book first.
    I did read the book...loved it..until the end...not so crazy about how it ended...

I did read the book...loved it..until the end...not so crazy about how it ended...
    I know - I hated the ending! I just went "ugh!" a bit unrealistic, too.