Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Co lead vocals

Default Co lead vocals

I think a lot of people on here wished the band had more songs where they had different guys singing lead like After the thrill is gone. They also had songs that were a bit different where they had two guys sing lead at the same time like Visions, Midnightflyer, Good Day In hell etc, KOH. Do you guys like when the band had multiple singers for the entire song? I personally don’t, I would rather them take turns for verses. I don’t mind choruses being shared and obviously harmonies in the back. But I never really cared for shared lead vocals. How do you feel about them?

Default Re: Co lead vocals

I definitely do. I really love ATTIG. I also like How Long from LROOE where they trade off and of course GDIH. Midnight Flyer doesn't do much for me as a rock guy but definitely I like the idea.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I think a lot of people on here wished the band had more songs where they had different guys singing lead like After the thrill is gone. They also had songs that were a bit different where they had two guys sing lead at the same time like Visions, Midnightflyer, Good Day In hell etc, KOH. Do you guys like when the band had multiple singers for the entire song? I personally don’t, I would rather them take turns for verses. I don’t mind choruses being shared and obviously harmonies in the back. But I never really cared for shared lead vocals. How do you feel about them?
    For a start Visions & Midnight Flyer aren't shared lead vocals. They feature a lead singer with harmony parts. The only songs where there are multiple (more that two) singers for the entire song are Seven Bridges Road & No More Walks In The Wood.

Good Day In Hell & KOH are both shared lead vocals as is What Do I Do With My Heart. So is Doolin-Dalton, although Glenn only sings one verse of that. ETA: oh yes, and How Long. And Teenage Jail, I suppose, the most unnecessary shared lead of their entire catalogue. Glenn should have sung all of it.

To be honest I'm not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking whether I like the duets, well, yes, because at least Glenn features in them. But ATTIG bores me to tears. I know that's an unpopular opinion but that is how I feel about it.

All I would have liked was for Glenn to sing more songs. That was all. I did get my wish to some extent with LROOE & I have to be grateful for that.

Border Troubadour

I like them and think they got the balance by and large correct. There are two takes on this; firstly what I would label joint leads, where they sing exactly in harmony for the vast part of the track (KOH, GDIH etc), and co-leads, where they trade verses (Doolin-Dalton, How Long).

King of Hollywood is taken to another level by the utilisation of the joint lead, it adds depth to the delivery of the pretty grim subject matter, and the sole use of a really gruff Henley for the most twisted line in the song is superbly composed (in a similar way to the harmony stopping for Henley to sing the killer 'only three ride back' line in D-D/DR).

I don't know what it is about How Long or Doolin-Dalton that makes the split on leads work so well, I guess it just adds more texture to the songs. Certainly, How Long wouldn't have the same drive with just one lead singer; and I think perhaps bringing Glenn in on Doolin-Dalton makes it feel like the start of a new chapter to the song. The four-way split on On the Border adds real depth to that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    For a start Visions & Midnight Flyer aren't shared lead vocals. They feature a lead singer with harmony parts. The only songs where there are multiple (more that two) singers for the entire song are Seven Bridges Road & No More Walks In The Wood.

Good Day In Hell & KOH are both shared lead vocals as is What Do I Do With My Heart. So is Doolin-Dalton, although Glenn only sings one verse of that. ETA: oh yes, and How Long. And Teenage Jail, I suppose, the most unnecessary shared lead of their entire catalogue. Glenn should have sung all of it.

To be honest I'm not really sure what you are asking. If you are asking whether I like the duets, well, yes, because at least Glenn features in them. But ATTIG bores me to tears. I know that's an unpopular opinion but that is how I feel about it.

All I would have liked was for Glenn to sing more songs. That was all. I did get my wish to some extent with LROOE & I have to be grateful for that.
    I am sorry for wording it poorly. I meant to ask songs where two of them sing together for the entirety of the song. For visions both dons sing for the entire song, king of Hollywood would be another example of this. I’m not sure what you call that as opposed to a song like How long where Glenn sings a verse then don then Glenn again.

To rephrase I’m asking if you prefer split lead vocals (ATTIG, HL) or songs where they share the lead vocals (KOH, GDIH)

Stuck on the Border

OK, well as there are only a couple of each I suppose my preference is for the split songs when they can both be heard. Having said that KOH & GDIH are two of my absolute favourite songs.

Depends on the song.

I like "Do Something" with one of the few split leads from TBS and Don. Thought their voices fit together very well.

But sometimes I like shared lead vocals (like on KOH).

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

It depends on the song too but I like both types. I do like being able to hear more than one person switching off on the verses and that's not just Eagles songs but songs other artists have done too either in a band or as a duet.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Ol' '55 is another shared lead vocal