Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Setlist decisions, etc...

Border Desperado

Default Setlist decisions, etc...

I know the Eagles weren't the most open band, but does anyone know if there is anything written about how they (Glenn primarily from what I have heard) picked the songs they'd do. I know the support of an album dictates a number of songs, but I'd love to hear how they crafted their song order. Stuff like, does Don not like to sing song X directly after song Y, or does he prefer getting up from the drums after this song, or only stay on the drums for this many songs...stuff like that.

Default Re: Setlist decisions, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I know the Eagles weren't the most open band, but does anyone know if there is anything written about how they (Glenn primarily from what I have heard) picked the songs they'd do. I know the support of an album dictates a number of songs, but I'd love to hear how they crafted their song order. Stuff like, does Don not like to sing song X directly after song Y, or does he prefer getting up from the drums after this song, or only stay on the drums for this many songs...stuff like that.
    I know that originally they liked to get a balance of lead singers in it and liked to show off their vocal talent as a group so songs like How Long and Saturday night with some shared vocals. I think in their heyday they basically just played all the hits with some deeper cuts on the more recent albums. There was some occasional strategic songs like playing after the thrill is gone at the Long Beach concert. I know now they prefer to have a mix of the Eagles hits early and late with A Joe heavy middle to give don a break. Seven bridges road is the starter song for the sake of again showing “hey we can still do it”. SBR was the opener for a while until Hotel California. I think the band always liked having encores with both a slow and an upbeat song such as desperado/ Take It To The Limit and like Rocky Mountain way/ TIE. I think set list order meant less back then back when their voices were in the prime and didn’t have to avoid one getting hoarse. I think who is singing at what point in the concert matters more than what song during the middle these days. I know you wanted more details about the order but this is the extent of my knowledge of setlist making

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    This is an interesting question... the trick is finding something that's WRITTEN rather than just things I've heard. I can't help you much with the written material, I'm afraid.

I do recall hearing that for HOTE, Glenn picked songs now only that were hits but for historical reasons - like the fact that "Saturday Night" was a song they all worked on - and put them in largely chronological order until they started getting to the end where you have that build up to the encore.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I know that originally they liked to get a balance of lead singers in it and liked to show off their vocal talent as a group so songs like How Long and Saturday night with some shared vocals. I think in their heyday they basically just played all the hits with some deeper cuts on the more recent albums. There was some occasional strategic songs like playing after the thrill is gone at the Long Beach concert. I know now they prefer to have a mix of the Eagles hits early and late with A Joe heavy middle to give don a break. Seven bridges road is the starter song for the sake of again showing “hey we can still do it”. SBR was the opener for a while until Hotel California. I think the band always liked having encores with both a slow and an upbeat song such as desperado/ Take It To The Limit and like Rocky Mountain way/ TIE. I think set list order meant less back then back when their voices were in the prime and didn’t have to avoid one getting hoarse. I think who is singing at what point in the concert matters more than what song during the middle these days. I know you wanted more details about the order but this is the extent of my knowledge of setlist making
    Actually, Take it Easy was the opener for the early Eagles concerts with Glenn's introduction of "We're the Eagles from Los Angeles." Later the opener was Hotel California. I think there is a real misperception about how popular 7 Bridges Road was. I didn't know the song back in the 70's and don't recall it being played in concert. It became popular after it was included on their Greatest Hits volume 2 and the tours in later years after their "vacation." In an article in the Indianapolis News published in Nov. 1980 about GH2, it states that the song wasn't played live until that summer,meaning right before they broke up. So I may have heard them play it in June of 1980, but since I wasn't familiar it I didn't know what it was.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by My My View Post
    Actually, Take it Easy was the opener for the early Eagles concerts with Glenn's introduction of "We're the Eagles from Los Angeles." Later the opener was Hotel California. I think there is a real misperception about how popular 7 Bridges Road was. I didn't know the song back in the 70's and don't recall it being played in concert. It became popular after it was included on their Greatest Hits volume 2 and the tours in later years after their "vacation." In an article in the Indianapolis News published in Nov. 1980 about GH2, it states that the song wasn't played live until that summer,meaning right before they broke up. So I may have heard them play it in June of 1980, but since I wasn't familiar it I didn't know what it was.
    The Eagles first started playing Seven Bridges Road in 1976 right after Bernie left and Joe joined. I saw them at Roosevelt Stadium in NJ that summer and they played in somewhere in the middle of the set. They didn't play it the following year however, after HOTEL CALIFORNIA came out.

If you want to do a little "reverse engineering" analysis - although this is probably not what you're looking for, BillBailey, since it would be speculative....

Setlists garnered from bootlegs (there were variations as tours progressed of course)

Setlist 1972
    Take It Easy
    Witchy Woman
    Train Leaves Here This Morning
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    How Long
    Get Up, Kate
    Nightingale
    Earlybird

Setlist Desperado Tour
    Tequila Sunrise
    Saturday Night
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    How Long
    Certain Kind of Fool
    Outlaw Man
    Out of Control
    Earlybird
    Tryin'
    Witchy Woman
    Take It Easy
    Chug All Night
    Dream Baby

Setlist OTB Tour
    Take It Easy
    Outlaw Man
    Already Gone
    Doolin Dalton
    Desperado
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Midnight Flyer
    Twenty-One
    Blackberry Blossom
    James Dean
    Good Day in Hell
    Tryin'
    Witchy Woman
    Chug All Night
    Out of Control

Setlist OOTN Tour
    Take It Easy
    Outlaw Man
    Doolin-Dalton/Doolin-Dalton - Desperado (Reprise)
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Desperado
    Ol’ 55
    One of These Nights
    Blackberry Blossom
    Midnight Flyer
    Journey of the Sorcerer
    Too Many Hands
    Already Gone
    Good Day in Hell
    James Dean
    Witchy Woman
    Chug All Night
    The Best of My Love
    Oh Carol
    Tequila Sunrise

Setlist HC Tour
    Take It Easy
    Outlaw Man
    Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise
    Turn to Stone
    Lyin' Eyes
    You Never Cry Like a Lover
    Take It to the Limit
    Desperado
    Midnight Flyer
    One of These Nights
    Already Gone
    Too Many Hands
    Good Day in Hell
    Witchy Woman
    Rocky Mountain Way
    James Dean
    Best of My Love
    Funk 49
    Carol

Setlist Long Run Tour
    Hotel California
    Already Gone
    In The City
    King of Hollywood
    The Sad Cafe
    Lyin' Eyes
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Desperado
    Those Shoes
    Heartache Tonight
    One of These Nights
    Turn to Stone
    Life's Been Good
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    Take It Easy
    Oh Carol

Setlist HFO Tour
    Hotel California
    Victim Of Love
    New Kid In Town
    Wasted Time
    Pretty Maids All In A Row
    The Girl From Yesterday
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Ordinary Average Guy
    Lyin' Eyes
    One Of These Nights
    Silent Spring / Tequila Sunrise
    Help Me Through the Night
    Heart of the Matter
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    You Belong to the City
    The Boys of Summer
    Funk #49
    Dirty Laundry
    Life's Been Good
    All She Wants to Do Is Dance
    Heartache Tonight
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Get Over It
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Already Gone
    Desperado
    Take It Easy

Setlist Millennium Tour
    Hotel Calfornia
    New Kid in Town
    Wasted Time
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Pretty Maids All in a Row
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Boys of Summer
    Take It to the Limit
    Best of My Love
    Already Gone
    In the City
    One of These Nights
    Seven Bridges Road
    The Long Run
    Lyin' Eyes
    I Can't Tell You Why
    Walk Away
    Sunset Grill
    You Belong to the City
    Funk #49
    Dirty Laundry
    Heartache Tonight
    Life's Been Good
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Rocky Mountain Way
    All She Wants to Do is Dance
    Take It Easy
    Desperado

Setlist Farewell 1 Tour
    The Long Run
    New Kid in Town
    Wasted Time
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Hole in the World
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Boys of Summer
    Take It to the Limit
    Already Gone
    In the City
    One of These Nights
    James Dean
    Lyin’ Eyes
    I Can’t Tell You Why
    Walk Away
    Sunset Grill
    Turn to Stone
    You Belong to the City
    Life’s Been Good
    Dirty Laundry
    Funk #49
    Heartache Tonight
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Hotel California
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Take It Easy
    Desperado

Setlist LROOE Tour
    How Long
    Busy Being Fabulous
    I Don't Want to Hear Any More
    Guilty of the Crime
    Hotel California
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    I Can't Tell You Why
    One of These Nights
    Lyin' Eyes
    Boys of Summer
    In the City
    The Long Run
    No More Walks in the Wood
    Waiting in the Weeds
    No More Cloudy Days
    Love Will Keep Us Alive
    Take It to the Limit
    Long Road Out of Eden
    Somebody
    Walk Away
    Witchy Woman
    Life's Been Good
    Dirty Laundry
    Funk #49
    Heartache Tonight
    Life in the Fast Lane
    Rocky Mountain Way
    Take It Easy
    Desperado

The HOTE setlist is elsewere on the board.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Rebel

Scottside--I was going to edit after I posted because I remembered there being versions out there with Randy singing 7BR which would have been around 1976. I didn't edit because I knew someone would correct me. Still, even though I may have heard it, it was not the iconic Eagles song that we think of it today. Thanks for the correction!

I’m not saying SBR was popular, I’m just going off what Felder had said. He said they liked to open concerts up with that song with them singing and liked to blow the crowd away. In terms of the timeline in the book he was talking about this happening the OTB To HC days. He specifically references HC replacing SBR as the opener song. Once they got post hotel California the song was dropped until the very end where they recorded it for Eagles Live

Border Rebel

Yeah, I read that book. Just saying, that wasn't my experience. They opened with Take it Easy for my early concerts, 1975 and 1976. Then they opened with Hotel California in 1978 and 1980.

Yeah, I read that book. Just saying, that wasn't my experience. They opened with Take it Easy for my early concerts, 1975 and 1976. Then they opened with Hotel California in 1978 and 1980.
    Maybe there was variance. I haven’t been to any concerts before 2010 so I can only go off the books and what the band has said LOL