Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "Desperado"

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Celebration of "Desperado"

Thank you!

My only complaint with Desperado is that it seems on the short side. It's only about 33 minutes long, right? Most albums are more like 40 minutes unless I'm very much mistaken.

Stuck on the Border

More like 36 minutes. I have another Asylum album from the time which is about 33 minutes and I remember thinking that was short but I'd never noticed with Desperado.

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Bitter Creek is a real gem. I'm still under some weird spell every time I hear it. I wish they had chosen to play that on the "magical history tour".
    If they had then, arthritic knees or not, I would have moved heaven and earth to see them.
    And as Bernie is on the tour with them, there's absolutely no reason for them not to have played it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Thank you!

My only complaint with Desperado is that it seems on the short side. It's only about 33 minutes long, right? Most albums are more like 40 minutes unless I'm very much mistaken.
    I really thought that since the development of CDs, with a capacity for 70-80 minutes, the "random" play button then subsequently single track downloads, they'd re-release Desperado with the full versions of Tequila Sunrise and Outlaw Man, an extended conjoined version of the opening and closing tracks (as they performed it live until HOTE) and maybe separate the tracks that run into each other.

I used to love tracks merging into each other on LPs but on random play they are imo, a problem.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

My guess is that for the HOTE tour, they wanted Bernie to play something from the first album and something preferably a little uptempo, which is why they chose TLHTM. I can't complain too much because I personally would much rather had that than Earlybird. My personal favorite is My Man, but it probably wouldn't have played that well live, plus it's from On the Border. I'm not convinced Bitter Creek would play that well live either. If they had gone with a song from the Desperado album, my preference would have been Twenty-One.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    My guess is that for the HOTE tour, they wanted Bernie to play something from the first album and something preferably a little uptempo, which is why they chose TLHTM.
    I haven't witnessed it live but I can't see Train Leaves Here This Morning having folks dancing in the aisles. Twenty One is a great shout, musically and conceptually, for the start of the story. Maybe add a coda with a more contemporary "60 odd and strong as we can be..."

Hearing The Police's Andy Sumner complaining that he couldn't get band vocalist, Sting to sing any of his songs, I wonder if Bernie had the same problem with the Eagles. They had to perform his early songs as, at the time, they didn't have that many to choose from. His later songs, just as good imho, tended to get overlooked as they continued with Train Leaves Here This Morning and Earlybird rather than work up his newer tunes.

I don't know how strong any of Bernie's songs are live. I know Waddy Watchel's dad didn't think much of the act he had with Michael Georgiades ("Saddest thing I've ever seen") and a solo show he did about a decade ago only included one Eagles song, Hollywood Waltz, so I guess they're nothing special.

Bernie's the only Eagles who doesn't appear to have a signature tune. Maybe he can get the guys to perform one of his new songs for a future project.

Border Troubadour

Agreed on Twenty-One, it would also give Bernie a chance to demonstrate just how good he is on banjo: as great as it is to see him play it on D-D/D Reprise he never really gets unleashed on it (even the beautiful instrumental interlude in it is a bit quiet). Also favours the three man set-up better than perhaps Earlybird or Bitter Creek would: Bernie on banjo, Glenn on guitar (either playing similar to the mandolin part or the traditional fast-muted notes) and Henley with PEF-style guitar drumming. You'd struggle to play the other two aforementioned songs with just three men, especially as Henley has no real guitar expertise.

Stuck on the Border

There are two essential elements on Twenty-One that were both played by Bernie, and therefore it wouldn't work as well live IMO. One is the banjo, of course, and the other is Bernie's Dobro playing. He rules with his Dobro in that song.

Stuck on the Border

They used to play Twenty One live, as well as Bitter Creek.

Stuck on the Border

Yeah, I knew that they performed Twenty-One at some point. But Bitter Creek? I had no idea.