Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: More shows coming?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: More shows coming?

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    When HFO was initiated, Felder, Walsh and Schmit were putting a project together.
    My impression is that the Felder-Walsh-Schmit attempt fell through in late 1992 (between Schmit and Walsh touring with Ringo Starr and Walsh touring with Frey) so about a year before HFO was initiated.

Stuck on the Border

When Randy left the Eagles, Joe Walsh and Don Felder had discussed leaving with him but opted to stay with Glenn and Don. When HFO was initiated, Felder, Walsh and Schmit were putting a project together.

An alternate Eagles with Felder, Leadon, Meisner and Vitale has often been mooted. I think Stuart Smith is now in a position where he would be an asset to such a band. He would add authenticity.

If Steuart stopped working with the Eagles, he'd surely break from Henley too. Henley only does about half a dozen solo shows a year, doesn't he?
    Smtih* has never worked with Felder. I see no reason why he would wish to do so, and I repeat what I said previously. Why would he join a guy who he supplanted in the Eagles, just to play rhythm guitar? Why would Felder even consider such a thing?

I would have thought if there was no more Eagles, Henley would suddenly start doing more shows, and Steuart would be included in those.

*edited to correct embarrassing typo as mentioned below.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-05-2015 at 09:01 PM.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I thought Schmit and Felder were trying to make a go of the Malibu Men's Choir/LWKUA project? Isn't that what F50 and UTW are referring to?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Schmit has never worked with Felder. I see no reason why he would wish to do so, and I repeat what I said previously. Why would he join a guy who he supplanted in the Eagles, just to play rhythm guitar? Why would Felder even consider such a thing?

I would have thought if there was no more Eagles, Henley would suddenly start doing more shows, and Steuart would be included in those.
    As MaryCalifornia answered, I was talking about the Malibu Men's Choir/LWKUA project. Schmit worked with Felder in the Eagles of course! Maybe you meant Steuart Smith.

My statement was about Smith leaving the Eagles set up, not the Eagles retiring. Either way, judging by what has happened to all the guys who played with Genesis, I think Smith will be in demand to continue playing Eagles music after he's left the band.

I think Felder would want Steuart in his Hotel California show. A dual lead guitar team of Felder and Smith would have more authenticity than Felder and his current accomplice Greg Suran plus, it would give Felder a chance to add some Long Road Out Of Eden songs to his repotoire.

I'd love to see, Smith songs, No More Walks in the Wood, Waiting in the Weeds, Business as Usual and Center of the Universe performed live

Stuck on the Border

I'm mystified. Why would Felder add Eagles songs from an album made after he left and which he's been mildly uncomplimentary about when he doesn't even include songs from his latest album which he seems to be pretty proud of?

As for Smith, doesn't he continue to play wth country music acts during his time off from the Eagles? I assume he'd be in high demand and could have his pick of the Nashville acts and that would trump playing second lead in Felder's band.

I can't see anyone leaving the Eagles unless forced by ill-health or loss of voice. I do wonder whether Bernie will continue to be a special guest on occasion after they stop toring HotE.

Stuck on the Border

As MaryCalifornia answered, I was talking about the Malibu Men's Choir/LWKUA project. Schmit worked with Felder in the Eagles of course! Maybe you meant Steuart Smith.

My statement was about Smith leaving the Eagles set up, not the Eagles retiring. Either way, judging by what has happened to all the guys who played with Genesis, I think Smith will be in demand to continue playing Eagles music after he's left the band.

I think Felder would want Steuart in his Hotel California show. A dual lead guitar team of Felder and Smith would have more authenticity than Felder and his current accomplice Greg Suran plus, it would give Felder a chance to add some Long Road Out Of Eden songs to his repotoire.

I'd love to see, Smith songs, No More Walks in the Wood, Waiting in the Weeds, Business as Usual and Center of the Universe performed live
    Of course I meant Steuart Smith. My apologies for an inexcusable typo but what I said stands. Why on earth would Steuart want to leave the Eagles to join Felder & why would Felder want him? How would it be more authentic? The two men have never played together.

What has Felder got to do with Long Road Out Of Eden? This just beggars belief. How could it be justified in any way? It's hard enough to justify the guy playing songs like Tequila Sunrise, but at least he did perform those live when he was in the Eagles.

And guess what. I have seen NMWITW & WITW peformed live. By the Eagles. They don't do the songs any more, to my great distress, but I did see them. I don't see how Steuart could play them with another band with someone else singing lead. They are Don Henley songs, even if Steuart has a writer's credit.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-05-2015 at 10:59 PM.

Banned

Surely you can see the pulling power of the Eagles. The potential to sell out big venues and make lots of money.

I've also seen No More Walks in the Wood and Waiting in the Weeds performed live. Those, along with Business as Usual and Center of the Universe are Smith's most famous songs. He has just as much right as Don Henley to perform them. He may even be able to sing decent versions himself, I've never heard his singing voice.

I've never been interested in seeing an Eagles tribute act, I'd probably even give Felder's act a miss but I'd be interested in an Eagles tribute act with Steuart Smith in the line up. As long as it's not too expensive.

Stuck on the Border

You were talking about Steuart leaving the Eagles to join Felder & now you're back to talking about 'the pulling power of the Eagles'. For a start, any partnership of a former Eagles guitarist & an Eagles backing band member is not 'the Eagles' no matter how you label it. Are you saying that if Felder did even more Eagles songs, even songs he had precisely nothing to do with, he'd play bigger venues? Well, I'm sorry, but he would lose any last shred of credibility he has, and I also think it would be very hard for him to get permission to do LROOE songs.

I know Steuart has as much right to his co-writes on LROOE as Don Henley but the reality is I would guess it's mostly his music and Henley's lyrics. They are Henley's songs on a personal level because of the lyrics.

As Steuart has never sung lead, to my knowledge, I am not sure it helps to start speculating whether he would consider performing his LROOE songs & sing them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    You were talking about Steuart leaving the Eagles to join Felder & now you're back to talking about 'the pulling power of the Eagles'. For a start, any partnership of a former Eagles guitarist & an Eagles backing band member is not 'the Eagles' no matter how you label it. Are you saying that if Felder did even more Eagles songs, even songs he had precisely nothing to do with, he'd play bigger venues? Well, I'm sorry, but he would lose any last shred of credibility he has, and I also think it would be very hard for him to get permission to do LROOE songs.
    Firstly, I don't think you need permission to perform any song. You just need to pay the royalties.

Secondly, I'm saying that an Eagles tribute act, such as Felder's, has the potential to provide a good living for it's contributors.

If he's, for whatever reason, no longer involved with the Eagles, Steuart Smith, as arguably the eighth Eagle, would probably end up in an Eagles tribute act and he could also be a great asset to Felder's act.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Eagles fans aren't familiar with the detailed lineage of the band and couldn't care less that Felder wasn't on Long Road Out Of Eden.

As you say Freypower, a partnership of a former Eagles guitarist & an Eagles backing band member is not 'the Eagles' but it's closer than the numerous tribute acts that have no connection to the band apart, from the material they play.

What about if you add, some or all of, Scott Crago, Joe Vitale, Jack Tempchin, Danny Kortchmar, JD Souther, Jim Ed Norman and Al Garth. It's still not the Eagles but I think many Eagles fans would be interested to see the show.

It would be a successful act even if they sold a fraction of the tickets the official band sell.

Do you remember that band, Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I realize this discussion took off from one person's notion that the Eagles are their own tribute act while touring on this upcoming tour leg that was just announced, however, maybe it's time the discussion is moved to a new thread? This thread is for the upcoming shows in general. I would move the posts, but I only moderate the Tour forum, and a discussion about Eagles tribute bands, regardless of who might be in one, belongs somewhere else. Far-fetched ideas and unlikely scenarios make for good discussion, but the new tour leg kicks off in 42 days and we should probably concentrate on that in this thread.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.