1 3.45%
  • Bassist

1 3.45%
  • Drummer

0 0%
  • None (all are replaceable)

3 10.34%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Who is the least replaceable member of a band?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: Who is the least replaceable member of a band?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I was responding to Brooke's list. I know Nashville intimately, I have been in the studios there many times and have many connections and friends there that are in the studios and those that tour. Her list is all Nashville. Nashville solo artists NEVER have the same band in the studio as live and are changed constantly.

But most use session musicians. Don Henley, as an example, has been through more lineup changes than I can count.
    Austin, I didn't know that! I just assumed they always used the same people for both touring and recording. Thanks for the info!

I guess they aren't as worried about sounding exactly like their records as the Eagles have always been!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Austin, I didn't know that! I just assumed they always used the same people for both touring and recording. Thanks for the info!

I guess they aren't as worried about sounding exactly like their records as the Eagles have always been!
    They definitely use different people, but I watched a video of Jason Aldean's guitarist recently and he said the band was told to copy the guitar/drum parts from the record exactly......

I do believe his guitarist plays in his records somewhat come to think of it but he still uses other guys for other parts that are studio guys as well as another studio guitar player.

But in the case of everyone else, they use the A list studio cats to play on the record for guitar, bass, drums, keys, etc, and then will assemble a live band.
    So there are one off guys that are so good they are asked to play on their record. But everyone else is just a touring session sideman. The case of Aldean's live guitarist on the record is an exception to the rule.

In fact, you'd be surprised how many hit songs by these guys are entirely written by A list songwriters! Very few country stars write their own lyrics. There are some, but most don't, or at the very most co-write.

Austin, that's cool that you know people in Nashville. I've been a country fan my whole life, and country music is in a bit of a decline if you ask me. All the top songs sound the same.
    One exception though is the Zach Brown Band. They have a distinct sound and are all great musicians (which makes all of them valuable, they all contribute their unique sound to the band). Their last release was produced by Dave Grohl, and he raved about them. However, outside of them, the only few examples I can think of coming out of Nashville are Diamond Rio, and of course, Alabama. Lonestar had a lot of success, but when their lead singer left, that was the end, for both the singer and the band.
    Other than that, it's mostly lead singers and their backing band. I believe that Tim McGraw has had the same touring band for years, but I don't know that he uses them in studio. My guess is that they make more money on the road, and so they go out with other artists until it's time to tour with Tim again. Although that's pure speculation. I'm sure studio musicians are paid well too.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    Austin, that's cool that you know people in Nashville. I've been a country fan my whole life, and country music is in a bit of a decline if you ask me. All the top songs sound the same.
    One exception though is the Zach Brown Band. They have a distinct sound and are all great musicians (which makes all of them valuable, they all contribute their unique sound to the band). Their last release was produced by Dave Grohl, and he raved about them. However, outside of them, the only few examples I can think of coming out of Nashville are Diamond Rio, and of course, Alabama. Lonestar had a lot of success, but when their lead singer left, that was the end, for both the singer and the band.
    Other than that, it's mostly lead singers and their backing band. I believe that Tim McGraw has had the same touring band for years, but I don't know that he uses them in studio. My guess is that they make more money on the road, and so they go out with other artists until it's time to tour with Tim again. Although that's pure speculation. I'm sure studio musicians are paid well too.
    The new wave of "Modern Country" is definitely very different to country music of the 90s or prior. I have to admit I like a little rock n' roll in my country so for me I'm mostly interested in 90s hard edged country, and the new stuff they are calling country, which to me is repackaged 80s rock...

I love the guitar sounds in Nashville, and the fact it isn't all twangy Telecasters anymore. A lot more Gibsons out and Marshall stacks and such. Obviously I love Telecasters, but I definitely dig seeing my Gibson and Paul Reed Smith guitars out there too.

However I could clearly understand why I diehard old Nashville or Bakersfield fan would NOT like the new stuff, it's very rock n' roll tinged. However I think modern country does a better throwback to classic rock than modern rock bands do. I lot of them get the rock, but forget the roll.

The two main beefs I have with Nashville today is the lyric content, and the cookie cutter songs that are indeed very alike. And I think that's the fact that generally speaking it's the same 3 session songwriters on every song! A few in Nashville still write or co-write their own lyrics, but very few do.

However, in the "music" department, I think the guitar sounds coming out of Nashville are better than ever and I often go see new country acts because I love the music and guitars. Case in point, I saw Keith Urban last year in concert just to see him play guitar, I could sing a song of his to you if I tried.

Tim McGraw does use session guys in the studio but he has had almost the same lineup for live. I know one of his guitar players and he just got the gig about 3 years ago.

Speaking of backup tour musician playing with other artist on tour. Steuart is a good example. He was in Rodney Crowell's band for many years(I even saw Steaurt in a few of Rodney's music videos) until I guess when he was hired to tour with The Eagles. I notice this year that when the Eagles are not touring(or no Don doing a private concert), he's touring with Rodney in his band. I don't know if Rodney is touring right now, but I bet he's out there right now touring with Rodney until the Eagles go back on tour next year in Australia.

Austin, I do agree with you that I like the harder-edged guitar sound too, as well as older country. Keith Urban had a lot to do with turning the tide a bit in Nashville the last time it started to sound a little too 'pop' ( ala Shania Twain) and when you add to it other amazing guitar players like Brad Paisley, then you've got a sound that I could listen to all day!

You are right about Nashville song-writing being cookie cutter, but then a lot of Nashville is cookie cutter. As soon as you get someone a little original who makes some headway, then every other record label needs one of their own just like it ( or him or her, haha) A perfect example would be when LeAnn Rhimes came out. Suddenly everyone needed a 12-13 year old girl on their record label. The next year I lost our State Colgate Country Showdown to a 12 year old girl who sang Harper Valley PTA and ripped off her skirt to show her short shorts at the end. After that I was done - LOL! I decided to just sing locally after that. What upsets me the most about Nashville is that they lose out on a lot of really talented acts because they don't have the right 'look' or 'sound'. I wish I lived closer so that I could see the local clubs and here the local talent. I'm sure it's amazing.

That's my other thing with Nashville...a lot of it is Autotuned these days and it's all about image. Even the session players for, say, Florida Georgia Line - all look like stars and all look the same with the short spikey hair and tight fit clothes...Sadly it's more about image than substance these days. And I think LA is just as guilty. Probably New York as well.

Stuck on the Border

I haven't paid attention to this thread before. A couple of minutes ago I read the topic title many times and looked at the poll and kept wondering why no one thinks that the drummer or rhythm guitarist are the most replaceable, and why most think that the lead singer is the most replaceable. I don't understand why it took me so long to realize that it said "the least replaceable".

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That's my other thing with Nashville...a lot of it is Autotuned these days and it's all about image. Even the session players for, say, Florida Georgia Line - all look like stars and all look the same with the short spikey hair and tight fit clothes...Sadly it's more about image than substance these days. And I think LA is just as guilty. Probably New York as well.
    I agree Austin image is a Huge part of the music industry today. Personally I haven't seen so much botox and body imagining in all areas, Nashville,LA,etc.... Why can't people just learn to be themselves. Do we the audience really expect them to have to look "plastic",in my opinion, to enjoy their music? I guess it is all part of the game. Look at the old rock bands. Greasy hair, wiped out or stoned out, and their music lives on today it is so great. I don't get it I guess. It's a deep hole they can't seem to crawl out of.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I agree Austin image is a Huge part of the music industry today. Personally I haven't seen so much botox and body imagining in all areas, Nashville,LA,etc.... Why can't people just learn to be themselves. Do we the audience really expect them to have to look "plastic",in my opinion, to enjoy their music? I guess it is all part of the game. Look at the old rock bands. Greasy hair, wiped out or stoned out, and their music lives on today it is so great. I don't get it I guess. It's a deep hole they can't seem to crawl out of.
    I agree....

As much as I hate pop music, I admire Meghan Trainor (All About That Bass) flipping the bird to the whole stick figure photoshop-ed image requirement to be a big artist these days.

Flash over substance these days.