1 3.45%
  • Bassist

1 3.45%
  • Drummer

0 0%
  • None (all are replaceable)

3 10.34%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Who is the least replaceable member of a band?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Who is the least replaceable member of a band?

Well, that is how they are sold to the public, isn't it?

I do have a couple more comments on this Lead Singer Disease idea. There is one singer I think epitomises it; Bono of U2. I know some on this board like U2 so I should leave it there, except to put it mildly I find him pompous & arrogant.

I think one reason why singers develop a flamboyant style is to be noticed. Their personalities led them to want to be out the front in the first place (although Rod Stewart claims he used to hide behind the amps) and they need to be visible. Remember when the band is playing the instrumental passages, unless a singer plays an instrument himself, he has nothing to do. So he makes up for it when he's singing, so perhaps he can come off a bit egotistical.

Some of my favourite singers play harmonica occasionally; Jagger, Plant, Bryan Ferry. I was surprised when I first saw Roger Daltrey play harmonica; I didn't associate it with him (we have a Blu Ray of the Who performing Quadrophenia plus a couple of big hits & he actually plays acoustic guitar on Who Are You)!

I did have a very big disappointment with a singer's performance & that was when I saw REM. This was the Monster tour so they were on the decline. Michael Stipe came off as a pretentious egomaniac who read his lyrics from a stand. He then tossed the paper into the audience. At the opposite end of the spectrum is Liam Gallagher of Oasis. He just stood there. He doesn't really perform but their sound is so powerful that it worked.

BTW Imagine a Springsteen show without the E Street Band, almost impossible right, and strictly speaking he's a solo artist

This was a hard vote because sometimes there are two lead singers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Yes, I understand they are solo artists, but they can't do it without the backing band. So, the artists are known for their voices alone then?
    The solo artists IMO are all about the voice. Most of them change session players like underwear, and are just sidemen.

A band, IMO, is different as it was formed as a team and a band of brothers usually and something founded together with contributions to the songs from other members.

Solo artists never have their backing band play on their records.

For instance, the players on Keith Urban's records are not the guys that play in his live band.... That's how it works with solo artists. The guys in the backing band didn't help create the music.
    Last edited by WalshFan88; 11-13-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    The solo artists IMO are all about the voice. Most of them change session players like underwear, and are just sidemen.

A band, IMO, is different as it was formed as a team and a band of brothers usually and something founded together with contributions to the songs from other members.

Solo artists never have their backing band play on their records.

For instance, the players on Keith Urban's records are not the guys that play in his live band.... That's how it works with solo artists. The guys in the backing band didn't help create the music.
    Never?

What about Elton John's classic band of Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson & Davey Johnstone? Billy Joel? His live band members played on his records. So do Mark Knopfler's. So do the E Street Band.

I assume you are talking about singers who had a band created for them. Otherwise you can't make such a sweeping generalisation. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Never?

What about Elton John's classic band of Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson & Davey Johnstone? Billy Joel? His live band members played on his records. So do Mark Knopfler's. So do the E Street Band.

I assume you are talking about singers who had a band created for them. Otherwise you can't make such a sweeping generalisation. Sorry.

I was responding to Brooke's list. I know Nashville intimately, I have been in the studios there many times and have many connections and friends there that are in the studios and those that tour. Her list is all Nashville. Nashville solo artists NEVER have the same band in the studio as live and are changed constantly.

But most use session musicians. Don Henley, as an example, has been through more lineup changes than I can count.

Stuck on the Border

Well, on that, I have always found it interesting that Danny Grenier has been Glenn's lead guitarist for his entire career but has never played on one of his studio records apart from This Way To Happiness, if this is accurate:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/407329-Danny-Grenier

Well, on that, I have always found it interesting that Danny Grenier has been Glenn's lead guitarist for his entire career but has never played on one of his studio records apart from This Way To Happiness, if this is accurate:

http://www.discogs.com/artist/407329-Danny-Grenier
    Something tells me playing for Glenn would be less stressful than playing for Don. I've heard some stories by a guy who played for Don and it was very stressful on making everything perfect.

Don has had TTBOMK Frank Simes, Peter Stroud, Peter Thorn, Steuart Smith, John Corey, and another guy I've seen but I don't know his name. And that's just the ones I can remember.

I do have a couple more comments on this Lead Singer Disease idea. There is one singer I think epitomises it; Bono of U2. I know some on this board like U2 so I should leave it there, except to put it mildly I find him pompous & arrogant.
    Never liked him...I like a few U2 songs but not a fan.

There are lots of them....another one that comes to mind that I cannot stand is Chris Robinson but I DO like his voice. Same with John Mellencamp, Gene Simmons, Neil Young, Kevin Cronin, Ted Nugent, and David Lee Roth. Good-to-great singers, but can't stand their ego...some worse than others.

Stuck on the Border

I think one reason why singers develop a flamboyant style is to be noticed. Their personalities led them to want to be out the front in the first place (although Rod Stewart claims he used to hide behind the amps) and they need to be visible. Remember when the band is playing the instrumental passages, unless a singer plays an instrument himself, he has nothing to do. So he makes up for it when he's singing, so perhaps he can come off a bit egotistical.
    This had me thinking of Wishbone Ash who in the 80s decided they needed a lead singer as a frontman. This didn't go down well with founder/bassist/singer/songwriter Martin Turner who wanted to know what the singer would do for the songs when Turner sang lead. Turner left and the band continued led by guitarist Andy Powell. Fairly recently, Powell was touring with "Wishbone Ash" and Turner was touring with "Martin Turner's Wishbone Ash" until Powell won a court case over the use of the name.